The STD That Infected Over 350,000 People in 2014
Quick Facts about Gonorrhea
- Caused by bacteria Neisseria gonorrhoeae
- Infects mucous membranes of a variety of body parts
- Other names: "the clap," "the drip," "the silent infection"
- Transmitted through genital, anal, or oral contact or from mother to baby
- Can be reinfected even if cured
Symptoms and Complications
Gonorrhea could lead to other diseases such as pelvic inflammatory disease, which can result in fevers and pain, or disseminated gonococcal infection, a life-threatening disease which can lead to arthritis and skin inflammation. Infertility can also result from gonorrhea. In addition, the risk of contracting HIV is increased when a person has this STI.
According to the website "In the Know Zone" . . .
- Over 800,000 cases per year nationally
- Costs approximately $1.1 billion per year
- Girls aged 15-19 are the highest percentage of gonorrhea