December 12th, 2014
"Don't prepare kids for the future. Empower them in the present." Martin Moran
Important Information Regarding PARCC...
Accomodations for PARCC must be turned in by Friday, January 16th. There are different levels of accomodations for students receiving RtI services, English language learners, and for students with 504 plans and IEPs. A few of us will be working on this and may reach out to classroom teachers for recommendations for students receiving RtI services. ALL students will have the opportunity to use a mouse if they so choose.
Please make sure students continue to receive exposure to the practice tests. One thing to note is that the practice tests are designed to expose students to the format and tools. The tests are not designed for practice with content.
The PARCC Performance Based Assessment (PBA) will be administered March 9th-27th. The End of Year Assessment (EOY) will be administered May 4th-29th. The testing periods will impact the entire building. Please see below for specific time allowances per grade level and subject area. Sixth grade times are cut off (please see link below).
The information below has been shared by Greg and me multiple times. Please ensure that you read through this important PARCC information. We will be spending time discussing much of this in 3rd-6th grade PLCs, however, many of your questions will be answered by reading through the information below.
The purpose of these tutorials is to demonstrate the navigation and tools available for Computer-Based Assessments and the use of the Test Booklet and Answer Documents for Paper-Based Assessments. The items appearing in these tutorials are samples used to allow students and educators to gain familiarity with the technology platform and paper-based format that will be used for PARCC assessments.
PARCC Practice Tests
Below you will find links to online practice tests students can take to become familiar with the new testing format. Please ensure students have plenty of exposure to this new format.
PARCC Accessibility & Accommodations Manual
Below you will find a link to important information regarding accommodations.
Notes and Reminders
- Are there any ideas you learned from today that you'd like to plan for on Monday during our 3-4 individual reflection/PD? Just food for thought.
- The Illinois 5Essentials survey will be administered beginning in January. We'll talk more about this in the near future.
- Please sign up for a shift at Mongolian Grill for the PTO fundraiser (if you are interested). The sign-up is on the lounge door.
- Next week is a B week - PLCs
- As my gift to you, please enjoy a pizza/salad luncheon on Friday, December 19th. Collaboration will be cancelled that day.
- Our building spelling bee for 3rd-6th graders is scheduled for Wednesday, January 7th at 1:00 PM. Classroom bees should run between December 8th through December 17th. Names are to go to Maggie and Vickie by 8:00 AM on Thursday, December 18th.
- Please plan on attending our annual sing along on Friday, December 19th. All classes will be invited to the gym from 1:30-2:00. The holiday parties will begin at 2pm. If you typically have a special scheduled during the party, please contact the special's teacher if you'd like coverage during that time.
- Math grade-level meetings with Rachel have been rescheduled for Thursday, January 8th.
- Upcoming PLCs for 3rd-6th grade will focus on PARCC preparation.
The PTO confirmed Thomas Benko for an assembly on January 16th at 9am and 10am. (Blue Man Group Drummer, Drum Trainer Chicago Bears Drumline, LPHS and MSHS Percussion Specialist).
Monday, December 15th
Monday Meeting - 3:00-4:00 Certified Staff Individual PD/Reflection (Please email me a synopsis of what you worked on.)
Rising Star Meeting - 3:00-4:00 (Select Staff)
Board of Education Meeting, 7:30PM, JJH
Tuesday, December 16th
Parent/Principal Coffee 10-11AM
Teaching and Learning Team Meeting (Reg PM)
Wednesday, December 17th
Thursday, December 18th
PTO Mongolian Grill Fundraiser 5PM-9PM
Friday, December 19th
1st/2nd Grade Field Trip - Alphabet Soup (AM)
Holiday Luncheon During Lunch Hour- Salad and Pizza (Collaboration Cancelled)
Special Ed Department Meeting, 11:30-2:00 (Conference Room)
Sing Along, 1:30, All Grades in Gym (We will call you down.)
Classroom Parties 2:00 PM (Please make sure your students do not leave the building with candy in their mouths.)
Meadowview Staff Holiday Party - Don't forget your ugly sweater!!! Bar Louie after school