Lincoln Crossing Colt Connection
February 3, 2019
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
Our PTC continues to rock! We had a blast seeing so many families at Chick Fil A on Tuesday - we earned over $1000 from the food purchases and the raffle tickets that were purchased. Thank you for coming out to join us.
February is Black History Month. We have a bulletin board in our breezeway that considers the contributions of African Americans in all areas of life, including politics, the arts, science, athletics, and academics. We hope you and your child will take some time to learn about the successes and struggles of African Americans.
Registration is underway for TK and K - please visit the District's website and our website for information or call our office with any unanswered questions (915 434 5292)! See the section below with a summary of the must know info!
New Student Registration (including TK & K) for 2019-20 School Year
New student registration for the 2019-20 year has begun! This is especially important for Transitional Kinder (TK) and Kinder (K) programs, which traditionally fill up quickly at LCES. Please share this information with your friends and neighbors with new TK/K students!
There are three parts to registration:
1. online registration forms must be completed (click the link below on/after 2/1);
2: documentation must be gathered (click the link below for details on what to bring);
3a. NEW FAMILIES: all paperwork must be turned into the LCES school office (we start taking registrations at 7 am on Mon., 2/11/19).
3b. CURRENT/RETURNING LCES FAMILY: if you are a current LCES family (or you have an older child who attended LCES), your turn in deadline will be Friday, 3/1/19 at 4 pm.
Current LCES TK families who have older siblings at LCES fall into 3b above. LCES TK families who do not have older siblings at LCES fall into 3a above.
Our TK class will be filled using a lottery system (held in early March), so the exact order in which you turn in your registration materials does not impact your chances of getting into our class, but you'll want to get your forms in during February so that you don't miss the deadline for the lottery.
UPDATE ABOUT TK Birthdays (new info as of 2/1):
Only children who's birthdays are on or between September 2 and December 31 are guaranteed a spot in Transitional Kindergarten. In addition, children turning 5 yrs old on or between January 1 and June 5 of 2020 may have an opportunity to attend a Transitional Kindergarten Class starting in August of the 2019-2020 school year. This depends on space available in the class. If your child turns 5 during those dates, you are encouraged to go to the WPUSD website and follow the directions to register your child and turn in your packet at the school office. Please note that registering your child does not guarantee a spot in a Transitional Kindergarten class unless they will be five on or between Sept 2 and Dec 31. If you have registered your child, we will notify you as soon as possible if there is space for your child in a Transitional Kindergarten class.
Where to get forms, links & more information:
School Safety Update
As you may know, we have one barracuda on each classroom door at this time, thanks to a generous donation made by Summit Church. We are in need of more in order to provide support for each classroom door and other teaching/student spaces.
Barracudas (video here - do not show while your children are in the area) range in price based on the style of door. Devices that support inward swinging doors cost about $160/unit, outwards swinging doors cost about $142/unit and scissor closure door devices cost about $71). There is also some shipping cost associated with the units. I have reached out to the production company to see about getting a better cost/unit, and I should have that information in the coming weeks. I expect we'll need to make a purchase of about 50 items - 40 that are for in/outward swinging doors, and about 10 for scissor closure doors. The estimated expense would be upwards of $8000.
This is a sizable cost, and may require the support of our PTC, families, our site budget, as well as patience - this may be a multi-year project.
Several families have expressed interest in making a donation to the school to help us cover the costs of these devices. If so, the best way to do that is to write a check made out to LCES. We will put the funds in an account for this purpose, and work with the company to secure the best pricing and place the order. If you make a donation, we will certainly keep you apprised of our progress along the way.
We have several other safety projects we are simultaneously exploring and working on, including more cameras along the back of the school, a possible change to the exterior gates/fencing on campus, training for staff, and partnership with our local law enforcement on drills. Please watch this newsletter, as we'll continue to share our progress with you here.
StarStruck is Here!
Week of February 4th:
- all week: WPUSD TK and K Registration Portal is open - www.wpusd.org
- Week of 2/4: GATE Testing will take place in 2nd grade and for some students in grade 3-5 (per parent request); check with teacher for dates/times
- Mon., 2/4: Early Release Day
- Mon., 2/4: Hearing Screening for K, 2 and 5th grade students
- Mon., 2/4, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Council Meeting
- Mon., 2/4, 1:45-2:40 pm: Choir Rehearsal
- Tues., 2/5, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Beautification & Kindness)
- Tues., 2/5, 2:45 pm-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 2nd graders
- Tues., 2/5, 5 pm: PTC Meeting in Library
- Wed., 2/6, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Cares)
- Wed., 2/6, 2:45-3:45 pm: Peter Pan, Jr. Ensemble Rehearsal; Music Room
- Wed., 2/6, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 1st, 4th and 5th graders
- Thurs., 2/7, 12:50-1:20 pm: Peter Pan, Jr. Choir Rehearsal, Music Room
- Thurs., 2/7, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 4th and 5th graders
- Thurs., 2/7, 5:30-6:30 pm: Math Family Night - will be rescheduled for later in the spring!
- Fri., 2/8: Dental Screening for K and TK families
- Fri., 2/8: Colt Pride Day
- Fri., 2/8, 2-3:30 pm: Peter Pan, Jr. Ensemble & Cast Rehearsal, MPR Stage
Week of February 11th:
- Mon., 2/11, 7 am: Office will begin taking TK and K registration paperwork for 2019-20 year
- Mon., 2/11: Early Release Day
- Mon., 2/11, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Council Meeting
- Mon., 2/11, 1:45-2:40 pm: Choir Rehearsal
- Tues., 2/12, 10:05-10:20 am: All Leadership Ambassador Meeting
- Tues., 2/12, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Beautification & Kindness)
- Tues., 2/12, 2:45-4 pm: Song Writers Workshop #1 - see details above or click here
- Tues., 2/12, 2:45 pm-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 2nd graders
- Wed., 2/13, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Cares)
- Wed., 2/13, 2:45-3:45 pm: Peter Pan, Jr. Ensemble Rehearsal; Music Room
- Wed., 2/6, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 1st, 4th and 5th graders
- Thursday, 2/14 - Monday, 2/18 - No School
Week of February 18th:
- Mon., 2/18: No School
- Tues., 2/18, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Beautification & Kindness)
- Tues., 2/18 2:45 pm-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 2nd graders
- Wed., 2/20: Box Tops Due
- Wed., 2/20, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Cares)
- Wed., 2/20, 2:45-3:45 pm: Peter Pan, Jr. Ensemble Rehearsal; Music Room
- Wed., 2/20, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 1st, 4th and 5th graders
- Thurs., 2/21, 12:30-1:20 pm: Leadership Ambassador Council Meeting
- Thurs., 2/21, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 4th and 5th graders
- Fri., 2/22: End of 2nd Trimester (report cards go home on 3/8)
- Fri., 2/22: Colt Pride Day
- Fri., 2/22, 2-3:30 pm: Peter Pan, Jr. Ensemble & Cast Rehearsal, MPR Stage
Preview of week of February 25th:
- Tues., 2/26: Song Writers Workshop #2
- Wed., 2/27: StarStruck Show #1 (click for details)
- Wed., 2/27: Panda Express Dine Out
- Thurs., 2/28: StarStruck Show #2 (click for details)
- Fri., 3/1, 4 pm: Last opportunity for current LCES families to submit registration for a new K student and have a spot guaranteed for K child
- Sat., 3/2, 6 pm: Boots and Bling Sweetheart Dance
*all Leadership, Musical Theater, and Choir program details are on Mrs. Adam's website or click the link below.
Upcoming Non School Days & Early Release Days - Winter/Spring 2019
- Thursday, 2/14-Monday, 2/18: President's Day Break (School Resumes on Tuesday, 2/19)
- Saturday, 4/13-Monday, 4/22: Spring Break (School Resumes on Tuesday, 4/23)
- Monday, 5/27: Memorial Day
- Week of June 3rd-June 7th: Early Release Days (1:40 Release)
- Saturday, 6/8 - Wednesday, 8/14: Summer Break (School Starts on Thursday, 8/15)
Visit our website for the most updated schedules for our Leadership Ambassador Program, including the greeter schedule!
Click for more information about school meal pricing and breakfast and lunch menus. You can also access My School Bucks to add to your child's lunch balance and submit an online application for free/reduced meals.
Click to view a map that identifies appropriate drop off/pick up areas and parking areas. It is much less congested between between 7:50-8:00 am and again between 2:50-3 pm. Supervision is provided at 7:55 am and until 3 pm (2 on ER days).
The district has approved and published 2 years of school calendars! Click for details!