January 29, 2021
PLEASE COMPLETE SECONDARY ENROLLMENT FORM BY 12 P.M. ON FRIDAY, JANUARY 29
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
End of 2nd Marking Period/Early Dismissal--Friday, January 29
Deadline to Enroll Students in New Secondary Instructional Models (Five-Day In-Person Instruction OR 100% Live-Streamed Instruction from Home)--Friday, January 29 by 12:00 noon
Remaining Student Picture Re-Takes--by appointment at studio until January 29 (details below)
Beginning of 3rd Marking Period/Most Specials Classes Change--Monday, February 1
Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club Food Fundraiser Week--Monday, February 1 (at Chipotle) & Wednesday, February 3 (at MOD Pizza); Tuesday, February 9 (at Panera); details below
Tamanend Parent Book Club--Thursday, February 4 at 6:30 (virtually, via Teams)
- Attendance at basketball games is currently available for one (1) parent/player and cheerleader for home games only, and a ticket must be shown prior to entry. Attendance at any event is subject to appropriate behavior and adherence to CBSD athletic and districtwide health and safety plans. Anyone who refuses to adhere to guidelines will be asked to leave campus.
- Boys Basketball tryouts begin on Friday, Feb. 5th. Details have been sent to those registered on Family ID. Please reach out to Mr. Klein with any questions.
- Family ID will open for Spring sports registration on February 1st. Tryouts/practices are scheduled to begin on March 22nd. Please visit Tamanend’s Athletics page for information/details on registering for sports.
- REMINDER: Please keep in mind that students must go home at the end of the school day. It is the responsibility of the student-athlete and parent/guardian to coordinate transportation back to school on days of practices/games, as well as for away games.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- Family ID is now open for spring sports registration.
- CB South Girls Lacrosse will be having open workouts every Monday and Wednesday on the grass soccer fields from 3:00 to 5:00 and Saturdays from 12:00 to 2:00 in the stadium starting January 25. You must be registered on Family ID to participate.
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball @ Holicong (Away; 3:15)
- No Contests
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball Post-season Tournament Semi-Finals vs. TBD @ Holicong (Away; 3:15 or 4:15)
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball Post-season Tournament Finals vs. TBD @ Holicong (Away; 3:15) **if qualifying**
- Boys Basketball Tryouts begin
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--Help Support Crayons to Cradles
Update--UNICEF Unite Club Hosts Food Fundraiser Week: February 1, 3, & 9
The Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club is hosting their first ever food fundraiser week! On February 1st from 4-8 pm Chipotle will donate 30% when you use the code J4A499K online and then pick up in store. On February 3rd 10:30am-9 pm MOD will donate 20% when you use the code GR174339T online or mention our fundraiser when ordering in person. On February 9th from 4-8 pm Panera will donate 20% when you use the code “PRFUND” or show the flyer below in person. The money raised will go to UNICEF’s COVID relief efforts and to our own club. This will fund future projects so we can advocate for children around the globe and serve our community. Hope to see you there!”
Let Our Yearbook Capture Your Experience!
The goal of the Tamanend yearbook is to capture a year in the lives of our students. This year, a good portion of student life is taking place at home and we want to see it! What does your online learning set up look like? What do you do during the snack break? We want you to send us your best pictures from online learning! You can upload these pictures by following the steps below:
- Please visit the website https://images.jostens.com/upload.jsp
- When asked to type a User ID, please type 415873954
- Click on “Choose File” and upload your picture
- Under “Contact Information” you will enter your student’s e-mail address, your student’s first name, and your student’s last name
- Under “Image Information” you will enter your student’s first name, your student’s last name, and you will choose their grade.
- Finally, click Upload Chosen Image
All photos are due by Friday, February 26th. Thank you!
Congratulations, January Boomerang Winners!
The Boomerang Youth Recognition Award is a district wide program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by the chosen asset for each month of the school year. For the month of January, the asset was Interpersonal Competence. Recognizing a young person who has empathy, sensitivity, and friendship skills. We had 16 nominations. Now we would like to highlight our building winner, 9th grade student, Hannah Lloyd.
For many of us, staying connected while in a pandemic has been difficult. Ninth grader, Hannah Lloyd, however, has found ways to not only connect with, but to get closer with the school community. In class, Hannah can be relied on to partner with or work in any group. Her group is guaranteed to get the work completed and to find a shared interest along the way. In her extracurriculars, Hannah continues to be a leader. Hannah has been a part of the Friends group since 7th Grade. Hannah purposely chooses to be paired with the students with less verbal skills. She finds different means to communicate with these students and always seems to know what they are trying to tell her. Additionally, Hannah has helped to spread this program to Simmons Elementary in the Hatboro Horsham School District. She demonstrated for the school how to begin this program, best practices, and the benefits. Finally, Hannah used her skills as a field hockey player to aid a new coach. When one of Hannah’s teachers was explaining that she was to coach field hockey, but had not played in a long time, Hannah offered her own time after school to come and assist. She connected with the team as a positive role model and helped to build their confidence as players. Hannah is the epitome of interpersonal competence in school, outside of school, and in her community.
Congratulations to Hannah and all the following nominees; Elijah Silva, Rachel Dash, Delaney Rowe, Matthew Howse, Dylan Schwartz, Dallas DeBlasis, Aiden Ertwine, Brooke Rosica, Riley Theis, Samantha Thomas, Yordana Samayoa, Evan Spadt, Constantine 'Nino' Mecaj, Ashley Snyder, and Gregory Matczak.
Reminder--Join the Wellness/Snack Break Social 10:35--10:55 Daily
Hello! Are you looking for a way to connect with other kids from school while you are learning from home in the virtual setting? Mrs. Cammann is hosting a Wellness/Snack Break Social time each day from 10:35-10:55 during the virtual and hybrid learning models. Students are invited to join in to share some conversation and be connected with students across all grades. On Wednesdays, we will have games and trivia during this time! You are welcome to participate daily or pop in occasionally - no pressure. Maybe you will even get to know some new faces! Just click the link below to take part, socialize, and participate, while using our Tamanend ROAR to respect and include each other in this group. Enjoy your snack and unwind with us at 10:35 any day. Hope to see you there! Click here to join the meeting
Reminder--Order Your Tamanend Yearbook
It’s a great time to order your child’s 2020-2021 Tamanend Yearbook! If you order online prior to January 31, 2021 the cost of the full-color, hardback yearbook is on sale for $35 (plus tax). This is also the deadline if you’d like to add any additional personalization to your child’s yearbook. The price of the yearbook will increase to $37.50 from February 1st-March 31st, and finally to $40 for any yearbooks ordered up until April 30th. Please click the link here to take you to Jostens online ordering page. No preorders will be accepted in school – all orders must be done through Jostens. If you have any questions, please email Kristen Gerth at email@example.com.
Reminder--Last Day for Tamanend Student Pictures is Friday, January 29
If your child did not have his or her picture taken at Tamanend, you can call C&C Studios at 215-345-1851 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule and in-studio appointment. Once your appointment has been made, we will email you the paperwork (Picture Order Form and Covid-19 Consent Form) needed to be filled out brought in at the time of your appointment. The last day for appointments at C&C Studios is Friday, January 29.
Reminder--Tamanend Parent Book Club
Are you interested in global issues and news? Do you want to get involved in helping people in your community and around the globe? Join the Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club. This club was started this year and the purpose of this club is serve as a space to discuss global issues, engage students, help students use their voice to enforce positive change, make better thinkers and communicators, and much more. Students will have the opportunity to learn about child protection, education, water, sanitation and hygiene which may align with certain areas of study, allowing for a more insightful, understanding life outside of the classroom. The club will also provide students with an opportunity to gain leadership positions on campus. Through fundraising, awareness, and community service, we will be able to help the millions of children who need our help. Please fill out this interest form https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=j0gLqp78hUGl4zhCIN8jyiSa13bnl15Kgt4n4oFy81FURjJUTThYNlM2M0xTN0pWNFU5MzNWUE9OQy4u if you are interested in the club. Meetings will be once every two weeks virtually A date for our first meeting will be sent out to those interested soon! If you have any questions feel free to contact Kalidindi.H055@student.cbsd.org , EORINSKI@cbsd.org , or AHIGGINS@cbsd.org.
Reminder--Mock Trial Team for 9th Graders
Do you want to improve your speaking and analysis skills? Do you like exploring legal issues of everyday events? Or, just want to spend some time hanging out with Mr. Sterner and Mr. Heisey? We are pleased to offer the Mock Trial Club at Tamamend for any interested 9th graders. It’s a great way to learn about the legal profession and debate your way through an actual case as either a lawyer or a witness, as well as build your skills for future participation and competition at CB South. Please e-mail Mr. Heisey (email@example.com) or Mr. Sterner (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested. Thank you!
Reminder--Tamanend Today Club
While we can’t currently run Tamanend Today, our live weekly TV show, we are still seeking interested students who enjoy broadcast media and video production. We have some ideas for production until we can go live again, and we would like your ideas for when we can go live. Until then, join us and be a part of producing meaningful, pre-recorded broadcasts and features. If media production is your thing, please reach out via e-mail to Mr. Sterner (email@example.com) or Mr. Landis (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be part of our Tamanend Today Club! Thank you!
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Teachers will be taking attendance every class period during hybrid learning. If your child is unable to participate in hybrid learning during all or part of the day due to illness or medical appointment, please report your child's absence in any of the following ways:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone (Attendance hotline): 267-893-2920
Please note for Hybrid students: If your child is participating online from home due to illness on a day he or she is scheduled to be in the building, please contact Attendance. Your child will receive Attendance credit for participating online that day if he/she is logging on to Teams calls and participating in classes.
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
- 9th grade students have until February 7th to input their 10th grade courses into the Student Portal.
- 8th grade students viewed a program on Thursday, January 28th that outlined the course selection process and their electives options for 9th grade. 8th graders will be selecting their electives next week during social studies classes.
- 7th grade students viewed a program on Wednesday, January 27th that outlined the course selection process for 8th grade.
- NEWS FROM MBIT:
- 9th graders interested in attending MBIT, can now schedule a live virtual tour to observe programs and see a bit of the classroom and what students are learning and doing. Students may express interest in a live tour by signing up HERE.
- Careers & Conversations is a virtual meeting space where MBIT will connect prospective students with teachers and students in the programs in which they are considering attending. Students interested in attending those events may sign up HERE.
This Edition of Guidance Sparks--Discovering Your Spark
Wouldn’t it be great if we all knew what our “spark” was as a young child. For some that is the case, but for others, the time spent discovering their spark can be an adventure. As a parent, do you know your spark? When did you discover your spark? Understanding the concept of spark yourself is beneficial in discussing the idea with your child. Typically, 60% of children can identify their spark by the time they are 12 years old. This may or may not be the case for your child(ren). To encourage this discovery, find an opportunity when you and your child can have alone time to talk about it (e.g., driving in the car). Here are some helpful questions to start the conversation from the book Sparks by Peter L Benson, PhD (2008):
- What makes you jump out of bed in the morning?
- What makes you dread getting out of bed in the morning? (Eliminating ideas can be as important as discovery.)
- What day is your favorite day of the week? Why?
- If you could spend the whole day doing something you chose to do, what would that be?
- What makes you really happy?
- Who are your adult role models?
Among the most common sparks reported by children are the creative arts, athletics, and learning. Some children find their sparks in areas that are less common. It may be hard for some children, especially teenagers, to do something that few others do. It is important that we encourage our children to find their own spark and path.
For comments or questions, please contact Ginny Barrett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FROM OUR LIBRARY
Reminder--Tamanend Library is Here for All Your Reading Needs!
All students have full access to all books in the Tamanend Library and to SORA, our digital collection. If you would like to check out a book, please watch the following videos in your Library Canvas Course to see how to access both physical and digital books. Books will be delivered to classrooms for Hybrid students and Online students can pick their books up in the front lobby of Tamanend!
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Reminder--9th-12th Grade Student Technology Toolkit
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
Required Dental Exams for 7th Graders
Reminder--Please Contact Our Nurse For COVID-Related Issues and Concerns
Please notify our Certified School Nurse, Lauren Myrtetus, if you, someone in your household or your student have been diagnosed with COVID or if your student has been identified as a close contact of someone who has been diagnosed with COVID. Also, please notify Mrs. Myrtetus if your student is ill and is being tested for COVID.
If your students needs to quarantine, he or she should report directly to the nurse’s office on his or her first day back to school for a temperature and symptom screening.
Mrs. Myrtetus is happy to answer any questions related to COVID.
Reminder--Revised Guidelines Regarding Quarantine & Travelling Outside of Pennsylvania
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently revised their recommendations around the length of time that an individual should quarantine after exposure to a positive COVID-19 case. The district integrated these changes into our Health and Safety Plan. These changes will dictate the time that students are unable to attend school in-person and participate in school-sponsored activities and athletics following exposure and/or travel outside of Pennsylvania.
- Students must remain at home for 10 days—7 days with evidence of a negative COVID-19 test—from the date of last close personal contact with a positive individual. The COVID-19 test must have been administered at least 5 days after the exposure.
- The commonwealth has revised their travel restrictions to reflect the CDC’s new guidance. Pennsylvanians who are returning home after travel are required to either quarantine for 10 days without testing, or to quarantine for 7 days with a negative test on or after day 5 of quarantine. Please note, out of an abundance of caution, our health and safety plan protocols require all students and employees to refrain from in-person instruction and school-sponsored athletics and activities during the commonwealth’s travel quarantine period regardless of age.
Please find a revised flow chart that contains this new guidance for your reference below. If we continue to stay home when we are sick, wear face coverings consistently and appropriately, wash hands regularly, and stay six feet away from others as much as possible, we will all do our part to help one another stay heathy.
Reminder--What to Do If Your Child Is Sick
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Breakfast and Lunch is Available to ALL Students Free of Charge Through the Remainder of the 2020-2021 School Year
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Reminder--Coats for Our Kids
Reminder--Grandfamilies Support Group
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Feb. 18th, 9am
This is an online event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900