WHAT'S THE BUZZ IN 2ND GRADE?
Mrs. Kesler's 2nd Grade Class Newsletter
Friday, September 25, 2015 - General News
Happy Friday! We had another busy couple of weeks!
- If you haven't sent back a signed permission slip and money for our In School Cosley Zoo field trip, please send it in as soon as possible. The Field Trip is October 8th.
- If you haven't signed up for Fall conferences, please check your email to sign up for available times.
- Spelling lists went home yesterday for List #5. Our test will be on Thursday, October 1st.
Below are some wonderful web based resources (educational games) for your child.
Also, check out our 2nd Grade Google page, where you can find what we're doing in class (curriculum), homework, and what's coming up! Check them out!!
-The students learned a new web based game which you can find in 2nd grade websites, click on reading, then nouns, for Noun Slam Dunk, Common verses Proper. :-)
P.E. & Music
Spelling Test and new spelling list to be sent home.
If you have questions or concerns, I can be reached either by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone at 630/375-3544. If you do not hear back from me right away, please know that I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible (this may be after school). If there is an emergency, please call the school office.
Have a marvelous weekend!
Thursday, Nov. 5th, 4:30pm to Wednesday, Nov. 11th, 8pm
995 Long Grove Drive
Week 5 &6 Spelling Lists
List #5: today, where, must, new, part
List #6 (which will be going home 10/1): time, very, feel, little, rain
English and Language Arts (ELA)
For three days during our Reading block this week, we had COGAT testing.
For reading the last two weeks, we focused on identifying characters and character traits while reading Each Kindness. Ask your child who the characters were and what types of character traits did they have. We also began learning about nonfiction text features while reading books on chameleons. We compared and contrasted our fiction chameleon books with our nonfiction books. You may want to ask your child how Camilla the Chameleon and the nonfiction Chameleon book were similar and different. Also, ask them what nonfiction text features did they learn about. Have them show you what the text features look like (lists, bulleted lists, diagrams, cutaways, subheadings, italics, and hyperlinks) from books from home or the library. The students are building great stamina while reading to self. I think reading around the room may be one of their favorite activities!
We found and used the prefixes re-, un-, and dis- this week. Have your child give you words with each prefix. We also worked on identifying the difference between a proper and common noun .
For writing this week we continued discussing how to write a paragraph. We also practiced our typing.
Teammates learning about each other.
Teammates learning about each other.
Teams working together during the "Clapping Game".
Reflections of a 2nd Grader
1. Jose: “I learned the quarter is easy to remember in money. I learned about time. Also, we learned that in a website, you can click on a hyperlink to learn about animals.”
2. Josh: “I want to learn about fish. I also want to learn about Lemurs.”
3. Keira: “I learned more about maps and math. I also learned about cutaways.”
4. Laly: “I learned to never be loud in the hallway.”
5. Emma: “I Iearned about half hours and time. I learned about hyperlinks. I also learned about listening and being respectful.”
6. Ishmaiah: “I learned how to follow directions.”
7. Aleena: “I learned about counting by 5s, 10, and 2s. I learned about informational text.”
8. Diana: “We learned about numbers and time in math.”
9. Davier: “I learned about the noun slam dunk game. I also learned about no running.”
10. Jermaine: “I learned about prefixes.”
11. Mallory: “I learned about math, the right way to do clocks, and a new clapping game.”
12. Gavin: “I learned about focusing with my eyes, ears, and brain. We learned about communities and the clapping game. ”
14. Julian: “I learned about keeping hands and feet to self."
15. Kiara: “I learned more things about money, like dollars. I learned about clocks. Also, I learned about common nouns.”
16. Alex: “I learned about prefixes and time.”
17. Fayo: “I learned about groups, proper nouns and to listen to the teacher.”
18. Channuri: “I learned that you can count by 5's with coins. I also learned more about time.”
19. Jocelyn: “I learned about cents, coins and nickels and it was fun. I also learned about time and I got a new friend.”
20. Logan: “I learned word study and math problems.”
21. Aria: “I hit my learning target. My target was focus. I learned math equations.”
22. Noah: “What I learned today is knowing how to do compound words and it was easy! I also learned about hyperlinks.”
23. Jazmin: “I learned about chameleons, counting money and prefixes.”
24. Kassidy: “I learned counting coins, quarters and nickels. I also learned to be respectful.”