Buckalew Buzz 20-21 School Year
October 5, 2020
Connect With Us!
"Today I choose to BE Kind, Work Hard, and Do My BEst!"
Our school hours are officially 8:00-3:10. Students may arrive as early as 7:30 and will go to their homeroom beginning at that time.
*disclaimer that items published in this newsletter may change due the COVID-19 pandemic*
From Mrs. Price
Happy Monday! What BEAUTIFUL WEATHER we had this weekend!!! As we continue to embark on the 20-21 school year together, we are about to conclude our first grading period. A friendly reminder that students will not have school Friday, October 9th or Monday, October 12. Our staff will be busy on October 9th planning and completing a staff development day before they enjoy October 12 as a holiday.
October 13th we look forward to welcoming approximately 80 students back into the building for In-Person Instruction. For those of you who will have a student starting with IN Person on Tuesday October 13th, please know that we will have plenty of staff available to assist students where to go on their first day. We have become "experts" this year on 1st days of school as I think we are up to our 7th first day of school, but who's counting? We will have over 100 students participating online in various grade levels through the 2nd grading period.
As we begin our 2nd grading period, our goal remains the same: to protect our school year. A few things to note:
- Our staff have not met as an entire faculty in one location indoors since prior to spring break during the 19-20 school year.
- Our staff wear masks all day unless in their classrooms by themselves.
- All campus meetings have taken place via zoom. This includes teachers planning with their teams and partners.
- Our recesses have been spread throughout the school day to minimize contacts and keep within cohorts of homeroom classes only.
- Our students are spaced 6 feet apart while eating lunches.
- Our students are spaced 6 feet apart throughout the building for a safe socially distant dismissal.
As our enrollment in person grows, please know that we have to continually monitor and adjust campus wide systems and schedules. With every enrollment platform change, it does impact our system changes. We appreciate your endless support and making the commitment to staying in the platform your family has selected through the 2nd grading period.
Our dedicated online teachers have been just ABSOLUTELY AMAZING learning how to teach elementary public school online for the very first time ever! With our numbers moving from approximately 60% In Person/40% Online the 1st grading period, to 80% In Person/20% Online, please be patient with your child's teacher as they are adapting and adjusting plans based on these numbers. All of the online teachers have come to agree that the single most important thing to them is their relationship and knowledge of your child these last 9 weeks and to keep the students with the same homeroom teachers they began the school year with. This means the online teachers will be teaching online and in-person students at the same time. They will be working out some scheduling week by week with LIVE instruction blocks and communicating to parents weekly on how those adjustments will be made. They will also be team teaching with their grade level and incorporating more small groups. Thank you for your support and understanding of their adjustment during this 2nd grading period and moving forward.
Just a reminder, there are 2 different links below to review for success on the learning platform you have selected as a family. The remainder of the information in the BUZZ is applicable to our entire Buckalew Community!
For questions or concerns, please make sure to visit CISD's Roadmap to Reopening, call our front office at 281-465-3400, or email firstname.lastname@example.org and please watch Dr. Null's LIVE YouTube update at 6pm October 7th. Your child's homeroom teacher will also be able to answer any of the most grade-specific questions you may have.
Have a great short week and long weekend,
10/6- Spirit Night- Torchy's Tacos 4-8 p.m.
10/8- End of 1st Grading Period
10/09 - Student Holiday
10/11- 10/24 - Walk the Pathways
10/12 - Holiday
10/13 - Second Nine Weeks Begins
10/14- Spirit Night- Chipotle Mexican Grill- College Park- 4-8 p.m.
10/15- Spirit Night- Papa John's- Alden Bridge
10/20- Fundraiser- Piney Rose Flowers & Decor
10/22- Spirit Night- MOD Pizza- Indian Springs
10/23- Fall Photos
10/26- 30- Red Ribbon Week
10/26- Suit Up Against Drugs/ Wear your super hero t-shirt
10/27- Voting For My Future To Be Drug Free/ Wear red, white, and or blue
10/27- Spirit Night- Gringo's- The Woodlands FM 2978- 12-9 p.m.
10/28- Too Bright For Drugs/ Wear neon
10/29- Say No To Drugs/ Wear red
10/30- Peace Out To Drugs/ Wear tie dye
11/4- Chipotle Mexican Grill- College Park- 5-9 p.m.
YouTube With Dr. Null
Free Meals-Child Nutrition- My School Bucks
Curbside Meal Pick-Up
Beginning Thursday, October 1, Conroe ISD will offer FREE breakfast and lunch to ALL In-Person and Remote/Online students as well as children ages 18 and younger in the community. Students in Remote/Online Instruction and children 18 and younger who are not attending school on campus will pick up free meals curbside on Tuesday and Thursday from 10 AM - 12 PM at the junior high located in their feeder zone.
• Irons Junior High
• Knox Junior High
• McCullough Junior High
• Moorhead Junior High
• Peet Junior High
• Stockton Junior High
• York Junior High
Parents must show an approved form of ID for any child not present in the vehicle. To learn more, visit: https://www.conroeisd.net/department/child-nutrition/campus-curbside-meal-pick-up/.
Device Return: Chromebook or iPad
We are now ready to collect devices and chargers that have been checked out from our campus to use for online learning. Devices and chargers will be turned in to your child's homeroom teacher.
For current IN PERSON Learners: Please have your student bring their device and charger with them to school for return the week of October 5-8.
For IN Person Learners starting October 13th: Please have your student bring their device and charger with them to school for return the week of October 13th-16th.
We appreciate your help in getting these devices back on campus. Thank you!
Determining Regular or Close Contact at School
- Individual who has had close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 up to 48 hrs prior to symptom onset.
- Individual who has had close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 within 2 days prior to the person developing symptoms and/or testing positive.
- Individual who provided care at home to someone who is sick with COVID-19.
- Individual who had direct physical contact with someone who has COVID-19 including touched, hugged, or kissed them, shared eating or drinking utensils, or were sneezed or coughed on by the sick person while they had symptoms or within 2 days of the sick person developing symptoms and/or testing positive.
- The identified individuals may be required to quarantine at home for 14 days from the date of last contact with the positive person.
- The current pattern is those who do not wear a mask consistently during class are being quarantined.
- Face Shields alone are NOT CONSIDERED a mask or cloth face covering.
The last day of the first grading period is Thursday, October 8. Report cards will be accessible to parents via Parent Access Center (PAC) Friday, October 16. Please access report cards online as they will not be printed at this time. Make sure that you have registered for a PAC account in order to access your child's report card and monitor ongoing progress.
Picture Perfect Friday Video Pictures
Click below for FAQ's
Please Visit the Roadmap to Reopening as Updates are provided regularly
In Lieu of Walk to School DAY...and CHALK the Walk...Here is Something BIGGER and BETTER!
Walk the Pathways
Our school is participating in The Woodlands Township Environmental Services Department’s 2020 Walk the Pathways Competition! The school with the most participating students will win a trophy and special first place prize. Walk the Pathways is a friendly, socially-distanced competition between elementary schools to encourage outdoor activity and promote pedestrian safety through experience and games.
Please support our efforts by pledging online to walk the pathways near your home or our school at least once between Sunday, October 11 through Saturday, October 24.
How to participate:
1. Choose a park or pathway near your home or school to visit between October 11-October 24.
2. Show school spirit! Sport your school colors on your walk.
3. Submit an online pledge starting on OCT.11th declaring you walked the pathways. One entry per student.
· An interactive park and pathway map to plan your route
· Tips and videos about pedestrian safety to review before starting your walk
· Guides for games to “level up” such as chalking the sidewalk, leaving painted rocks and identifying wildlife, trees or plants.
Thank you for supporting our school. If you have questions, please contact the school directly or contact The Woodlands Township Environmental Services Department at 281-210-3800 or email@example.com.
GT NOMINATIONS FOR 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR
The window is now open for parent nominations for GT Screening and will continue through December 18. Parents may nominate their student for Spring GT Testing by completing the District Nomination Form, available through any 3rd and 4th grade teacher, or by asking Belinda in the front office. If you would like a form emailed to you, contact Mrs. Smith firstname.lastname@example.org.
All second grade students will participate in the CogAT assessment in December. The CogAT assessment will serve as a GT screener for second grade students. Parents may now nominate, one time per level of test. In other words, students may test once each school year to see if they meet district requirements and /or qualify in other subject areas.
GT testing will be held at Buckalew during the school day the weeks of January 25 – 29 and February 1-5. Nomination forms may be returned to your student’s 3rd and 4th grade teacher OR to Belinda in the front office. ALL NOMINATION forms are due NO LATER THAN December 18!
Visiting the School
Parent Access Login
To access your child’s information online you must register for an account.
Please go to the following link and follow the directions below:
Click the “Student/Parent” tab
Click on “Parent Access Center”
Parents just a reminder to send all transportation changes to school with your child in their backpack.
For emergencies only, e-mail Buckalewtransportation@Conroeisd.net
PRIOR TO 2 PM and make sure you get a confirmation that your change was received.
Please note weather is not considered an emergency.
Classroom teachers do not always check emails throughout the day or may even be absent and that request would not be received in time. If you have sent a note with your child it is not necessary to e-mail the note to the front office. Thank you.
From our Police Department:
A few friendly reminders in regards to school zone safety and car rider drop off safety:
- Please remember to remind your children NOT to cross until the crossing guards are at their posts in the morning. The building is not open until 7:30.
- Please remember if you are in your car, to wait for the crossing guards not only to cross the children, but for the crossing guards themselves to make it back to the sidewalk.
- Please remember to stay off your cell phones when driving in school zones.
- Please remember their are NO DOGS allowed on school property. This is for your personal liability and the safety of all of our students.
- Please remember there are no U-Turns in front of the school.
- Lakeside Park- if you are dropping your kids off or picking them up from Lakeside Park please park your vehicle to do so. It becomes a safety issue to just drive up and let your kids out or have them get in without parking. Please use our car line in the back of Buckalew if you want just drop off your child.
We are excited to announce that ONE of our water fountains (outside of the cafeteria and gymnasium) has been retrofitted as a bottle refill station. Please make sure your child has their water bottle with them each day. In the event your child forgot their own water bottle, they will be provided a bottle of water. We appreciate any donations of cases of water while we have our water fountains off for sanitation reasons.
Online Book Fair
The Scholastic Book Fair is back! While the Fair will be held online exclusively this year, we still plan on making it a fun and joyous experience for our kids.
The Online Fair will include features like: Buckalew’s own online store, games for kids, virtual store walk-throughs and more.
Remember, every dollar you spend will benefit our school directly (25% back in rewards!).
Save these dates and view our school’s Fair site:
Fair Dates: October 12 - 25
Online Store: https://www.scholastic.com/bf/buckalewelemsch
We can’t wait to “see” you at the Fair!
Jennifer West, Librarian
The purpose of the PTO is to: (a) promote the welfare of children at Buckalew; (b) to foster cooperation between parents and teachers in the education of children at Buckalew; (c) to unite school and community efforts in securing for all children the best education; (d) to engage in fundraising activities for the educational and recreational benefit of Buckalew, its children, teachers, and staff as determined by the PTO and in accordance with the PTO by-laws.
President- Paige Perry
VP Fundraising- Amy Kemp
VP Parent Involvement- Heather Lozinak
VP Communications- Jackie Berry
Treasurer- Elizabeth Kutka
Secretary- Janelle Ray
Parliamentarian- Julie Naughton
Buckalew Elementary PTO Membership 2020-2021
We Cannot Do It Without Your Support!
The Buckalew PTO membership is a family membership (1 per family) and costs $25.
Your membership will include one copy of the student directory and 1 Buckalew Elementary Car Decal.
To purchase your membership online:
1. Go to www.buckalewspiritstore.com
2. Click on Buckalew PTO Membership to add to cart
Buckalew Elementary PTO
Yearbooks are on sale! We are offering 2 great deals. Buy a yearbook now and receive:
1. With personalization, 4 FREE icons
2. Entry in a drawing to win 1 of 5 free yearbooks!
Offer ends 10/23.
Order here: jostensyearbook.com
October 6th- Torchy's Tacos 4-8pm
Join Buckalew to raise money for our school! Dine in, to go, and curbside from 4-8pm. We get back 15% on food and alcohol. They can also do drop- off if you have a place of business you want to order bulk meals!
Chipotle Mexican Grill- College Park
November 4th 5-9 p.m. Dine in or to go! (Their app is super easy!) Make sure to mention our school though when dining in and if doing app and picking up make sure to give receipt to cashier to add to our event!
October 20th- Piney Rose Floral & Decor
Join Buckalew all day for a spirit night giving 15% of sales back! Perfect time to grab some holiday gifts in advance, purchase a floral arrangement to brighten someone’s day, or buy yourself something! They have flowers galore and tons of decor in all price ranges! Great local shop to support!
You must mention Buckalew to get credit for our school!
Ongoing Spirit event at Locker Room Haircuts! - All Year!
Ongoing spirit event at Locker Room Haircuts! $14 Rookie hair cut for the kids and Buckalew gets $2 back! Through end of the year!
Locker Room Haircuts is located in the back here by Target. It’s right next to Brothers Pizza and the old Golds Gym area. You can check in online and it makes it super fast!
Check them out and support our school!
Lost and Found
A friendly reminder to please label all of your child's belongings with first name and last initial or last name. **Water bottles, lunch boxes, hats, and especially outerwear such as hoodies/jackets/sweaters are all great things to label as these items tend to pile up quickly in the Lost and Found. Thanks so much!
Give the Gift of a TAE (Teacher Achieving Excellence)
Log Into "Parent Access" by clicking:
and click on the "Teachers/Staff Excellence" Tab.
Feel free to type your own message and send any staff a positive message!
Hi Buckalew Bears! I'm Mrs. Points, your school counselor. With each Buzz, I will have resources to support the social and emotional learning of our students. If your family has a specific need you would like to contact me about, please don't hesitate to email me at email@example.com.
"Pawsitively" Awesome Character! October Trait: Kindness
Are you interested in having your child join me for a Power Lunch small counseling group? Power Lunch groups meet once a week for five weeks and focus on topics such as:
- Growth Mindset and Healthy Thinking
- Stress and Coping Skills
- Peer Relationships
New groups form in mid-October. If you'd like your child to join us, please fill out the below link by Monday, October 12th.
Stay in touch with CISD by downloading our new mobile app!
Download the app on your mobile device today and select ‘yes’ to receive push notifications with the latest news and updates from the District.
- Push Notifications - Select ‘yes’ when you download the app to receive the latest push notifications from the District.
- Calendar Events - Add events to the calendar on your personal mobile device directly from the calendar section on the app.
- News - Check out the latest District-wide and school news all in one place!