Hearst Weekly Update
September 8, 2019
Good evening Owls,
Our streak of great days at Hearst Elementary School continues! As I visited classes last week, it was wonderful to see our kids excited about learning and diving deeper into the routines that will support their success this year. I appreciate the consistently structured, warm, loving, and joyful environments our staff have created for our Owls and know that the routines, practices, and relationships we are building now will continue to bear fruit throughout the school year.
We look forward to seeing all of our families at Back to School Night on Wednesday, where you'll learn more about what kids will be learning this year, what to expect in terms of their social emotional development over the course of the year, how you can support your child this year, and a few nuts and bolts around communication and DCPS and Hearst policies. We'll all be starting at 5:30 in the gym with the PTA presentation before heading upstairs to classrooms. Please see the PTA post to sign up for childcare prior to Wednesday so that the PTA can have an accurate count for food. Thanks!
Principal Jen Geoffroy (pronounced Jeff-roy; formerly Thomas)
- Beginning of Year (BOY) assessment window continues for K-5
- September 10 - Picture Day
- September 11 - PTA Meeting and Back to School Night, 5:30-7:30pm
- September 14 - DCPS Back to School Party
What I'm reading this week: The Speed of Trust, Stephen M.R. Covey
News and Announcements from Hearst
Lost and Found
Updated School Lunch Policy
Reminder: Volunteering at Hearst
All volunteers, including parents and anyone chaperoning or attending a field trip with Hearst students, must complete the DCPS Clearance process before volunteer services can be provided. To complete the DCPS Clearance process, complete the following steps:
- Complete the online Clearance Application found here.
- Complete a TB test or obtain documentation showing cleared TB test results from the last 12 months.
- Report to DCPS Central Office (1200 First Street NE, 10th Floor) during operating hours to complete the fingerprinting process Monday through Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm and Fridays from 8 am - 3 pm. TB test results must be provided upon reporting to Central Office for fingerprints*. Individuals who fail to produce TB test results from the last 12 months will be denied fingerprinting services.
- Wait 3-10 business days for a clearance letter, indicating cleared fingerprinting results.
Back to School Night is Wednesday, September 11, 2019
We are gearing up for Back to School Night on Wednesday, September 11! As a reminder, the schedule is:
5:30-6:00 PTA meeting, Gym
6:00-6:30 Principal Geoffroy’s presentation, Gym
6:30-7:00 Classroom Visit 1
7:00-7:30 Classroom Visit 2
Information tables will also be set up in the atrium from 6:30-7:30. Come and meet our specialists, Inner Core team, and some of the enrichment vendors, peruse Hearst gear, learn about PTA volunteer opportunities, and learn more about the Owl Fund.
Childcare and pizza will be provided for potty-trained children on the playground. Please sign up using the link by noon on Wednesday:
Looking forward to seeing everyone there!