THE SKELETAL SYSTEM
What is it?
The roles of the different bones
- Bones- support the movement of the body and protect the internal organs
- Ligaments- the ligaments role is to hold the bones together
- Muscles- muscles provide the body with the force to be able to move
- Tendons- the tendons role is to connect the muscles with the bones
- Nerves- provides the stimulus for muscle movement and co-ordinates the muscles
2 common disorders
- Osteoporosis- bones lose their integral strength, age hormone status and diet all play a vital role in osteoporosis. Bones become progressively weak and are prone to fractures with minor trauma. get calcium and exercise to avoid it.
- Rickets- Rickets is caused from a severe deficiency of calcium, vitamin D and phosphate. Bones soften and become weak losing their normal shape. Bone pain, muscle cramps and skeletal deformities occur.