Shelton State Community College
Requirements for admission
Requirements for admission
Students Entering Shelton State Community College for the First Time
Students may enter at the beginning of each term with the fall, spring, or summer semesters. Students are urged to make application in advance of the time they wish to enroll.
Application for Admission
All students must complete the application for admission, submit the residency signature page, andpresent a valid, government issued photo ID. Applicants must submit the documentation to Enrollment Services by email, mail, or fax. All requested information on the application must be provided. Applications will not be processed until the three parts of the application are received; application information, signature page, and photo ID. You can check the status of your application by clicking on the Apply for Admission link on the myShelton sign in page. You will use the Login ID and PIN that you created at the time you submitted your application. Click here to sign in.
(Beginning fall 2013, all students will be required to have placement scores on file, in addition to the requirements listed above, prior to acceptance.)
Acceptable forms of identification:
- One primary form of documentation such as an unexpired Alabama driver’s license; an unexpired Alabama identification care; an unexpired U.S. passport; an unexpired U.S. permanent resident card; OR
- Two secondary forms of documentation, one which must be a photo identification card other than those specified in a. AND one additional form of identification such as a Certificate of Naturalization; a Social Security card; a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate.
- For admission to an Alabama Community College System institution, all international applicants must provide: a VISA acceptable to the United States and an official translated copy of the student's high school/college transcript; a minimum score on an approved English as a Foreign Language exam as specified in the guidelines; signed, notarized statement verifying adequate financial support; and documentation demonstrating adequate health and life insurance which must be maintained during enrollment. An applicant who fails to satisfy the requirements of 1 or 2 will not be admitted to Shelton State Community College. Students enrolled in an Alabama Community College System institution prior to the implementation of this policy will not be affected by the requirements of this section.
- Applicants must submit the documentation identified in 1 or 2 in person, by email, or by fax prior to admission.
- For the protection of the public and to assist in maintaining state and local security, persons who are not citizens of the United States may not be admitted to any Alabama Community College System institution for the purpose of enrolling in flight training, or in any segment or portion of a flight training program, until appropriate certification and approval have been received from the Office of the Attorney General of the United States, pursuant to Section 113 of the Aviation Transportation and Security Act, regulations of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and all other applicable directives.
Students entering Shelton State Community College may be admitted by satisfying the following requirements in one of the following classifications:
- High school graduates who have never attended college should request that the high school mail an official transcript, with a graduation date posted and diploma type directly to Enrollment Services, Box 190, Shelton State Community College, 9500 Old Greensboro Road, Tuscaloosa, AL 35405. Transcripts should only be sent after the student officially graduates from high school.
- Applicants who hold the General Educational Development (GED) must have an official GED transcript sent directly to Enrollment Services from the test site or the Alabama State Department of Education.
- Students who have received a Certificate of Attendance are not eligible to enroll and should speak with our Adult Education Department located on the Fredd Campus.
- Students who transfer from another college must request that an official transcript from each college previously attended be mailed to Shelton State. Applicants who have completed a baccalaureate degree or higher and who do not plan to pursue a degree at Shelton State, are only required to submit an official transcript from the institution granting the highest degree.
- Students who intend to remain at Shelton State for only a single term may enroll as transient(rather than transfer) students (see section on Transient Student Admissions below).
- High school students who are enrolling through Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit or Accelerated High School status must meet all eligibility requirements defined in the High School Students section.
Around Shelton State Community College
Shelton State Contact Information
Hours of operation for the College:
7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. - noon, Friday
The Shelton State main phone number is 205.391.2211. Below are some specific office contact number.
Office and Phone
Advising Center 205.391.2232
Campus Tours 205.391.2379
Career Services Center 205.391.5874
Cashier's Office 205.391.2335
Community Education & Lifelong Learning 205.391.2386
COMPASS Testing 205.391.2232
Continuing Education 205.391.2386
Enrollment Services 205.391.2214
Financial Aid 205.391.2218
GED and Adult Education 205.391.2662
Human Resources 205.391.2272
International Students 205.391.2342
Office of Disability Services 205.391.2342
Office of Student Services 205.391.2217
Office of Recruitment 205.391.2213
High School 205.391.3972
Technical Programs 205.391.3972
Tech Prep 205.391.2407
Adult Students 205.391.2624
SOAR Institute 205.391.2984
Veterans Information Center 205.391.2383
Address for Shelton State Community College:
9500 Old Greensboro Rd.
Tuscaloosa, AL 35405