Word of the Week
Full Definition of DEVELOP
a : to set forth or make clear by degrees or in detail : expound <develop a thesis>
b : to make visible or manifest
c : to treat (as in dyeing) with an agent to cause the appearance of color
d : to subject (exposed photograph material) especially to chemicals in order to produce a visible image <develop film>;also : to make visible by such a method <develop pictures>
e : to elaborate (a musical idea) by the working out of rhythmic and harmonic changes in the theme
a : to work out the possibilities of <develop an idea>
b : to create or produce especially by deliberate effort over time <develop new ways of doing business> <developsoftware>
a : to make active or promote the growth of <developed his muscles>
b (1) : to make available or usable <develop natural resources> (2) : to make suitable for commercial or residential purposes <develop land>
c : to move (as a chess piece) from the original position to one providing more opportunity for effective use
a : to cause to unfold gradually <developed his argument>
b : to expand by a process of growth <working to developthe company further>
c : to cause to grow and differentiate along lines natural to its kind <rain and sun develop the grain>
d : to become infected or affected by <developedpneumonia>
5 : to acquire gradually <develop an appreciation for ballet>
a : to go through a process of natural growth, differentiation, or evolution by successive changes <a blossom develops from a bud>
b : to acquire secondary sex characteristics
2 : to become gradually manifest
3 : to come into being gradually <the situation developing in eastern Europe>; also : turn out 2a <it developed that no one had paid the bill>
— de·vel·op·able adjective
Examples of DEVELOP
- She has been exercising regularly to develop her back muscles.
- The story was later developed into a novel.
- The island has developed its economy around tourism.
- The course is designed to develop your writing skills.
- A blossom develops from a bud.
- The doctor says that the child is developing normally.
- In this class, we will be learning about how languagesdevelop.
- Scientists are developing a treatment for the disease.
- The company has developed a new method for recycling old tires.
- He develops the concept more fully in his book.
Related to DEVELOP