Thurston County 4-H News
Nov 23-25 - Office Closed - Thanksgiving Holiday
Dec 25 - Office Closed - Christmas Holiday
Jan 1 - Office Closed - New Year's Day
Jan 8 - 4-H Council Meeting
Jan 15 - Office Closed - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Jan 27 - Beef Weigh-In @ Pender Sale Barn (9-10:30)
Feb 3 - Snow Date: Beef Weigh-In
Need to Know
Busy Programming - Out of the Office
Days we know that we'll both be out of the office are:
- Nov 23-24 - Office Closed
- Nov 28-30 - State Meetings
- Dec 14 - All Day
- Dec 15 - All Day
Nebraska 4-H/Nebraska FFA License Plate
Thanks for Another Great Year!
Now is the time to start planning for the new 4-H year. It is important to remember that the evaluation process is the final step for a 4-Her to examine their knowledge and skills learned for the year, and how to apply it to the future. Just look how each "H" relates to the Career Portfolio.
Head: Goal setting, decision making, planning and organizing
Heart: Relating to other, caring about others
Hands: Giving through community service, being a responsible citizen
Health: Living with healthy lifestyle choices, showing good character
Here are a few suggestions to get started for the new year:
- Write down some goals that you might want to accomplish this year.
- Download the next pin application with the Diamond Clover Program to review the accomplishments needed to complete the form.
Brainstorm ideas on how to expand your citizenship and leadership activities to strengthen your Career Portfolio, there are grants available for youth to apply to make a difference in their community. If you have received an award and would like to order a plaque, contact the extension office. The cost will be $15.
4-H Online Enrollment and Re-Enrollment
NOTHING'S CHANGED!!! But since it's a new year we need you to re-enroll at ne.4honline.com. There are step by step sheets at http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/thurston/4-h-enrollment. For both new families and families that already have profiles. If you already have a profile make sure you DO NOT make a new profile.
If you are a VOLUNTEER for our program we also need to you to re-enroll in our online database. Again step by step information can be found at http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/thurston/4-h-enrollment.
If anyone of you has questions please call the office and we'll do our best to work through any issues.
Scholarships for 4-H/FFA students to Nebraska Women in Ag Conference
The annual Nebraska Women in Agriculture Conference will be held Feb. 22 – 23, 2018 at the Holiday Inn Convention Center, Kearney, Neb.
The Women in Agriculture Conference is one of the longest-running women’s conferences of its kind in the country. The theme for this year’s conference is, “Growing our future, valuing our traditions.” Over 30 concurrent workshops will be hosted over the two-day event that focus on production risk, market risk, financial risk, human risk and legal risk.
The conference will feature three keynote speakers. Ruth Hambleton, the founder of Annie’s Project, will speak on empowering and educating women producers. Ann Finkner, Farm Credit Services of America senior vice president chief administrative officer, will share resources to help women recharge while dealing with complexity, stress and multi-tasking in agriculture. Lastly, Leslie McCuiston will share her story of being named America’s Pig Farmer of the Year.
Five $125 scholarships (full registration fee) available to University of Nebraska Lincoln College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (CASNR) students.
Ten $62.50 scholarships (half registration fee) are available to Nebraska FFA, 4-H or Community College students. Students receiving a ½ scholarship are expected to pay the remainder of the registration cost during the registration period, or find a local sponsor.
Applicants will need to prepare a 3,000 character essay on "Why do you want to attend the Nebraska Women in Agriculture Conference? How will you use the information in your future studies/career?"
TO APPLY CLICK HERE: https://ssp.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2gdxBcTI8sDQggB
Hotel rooms and additional travel expenses are not covered by these scholarships. The application is now open. Applications must be submitted online by midnight Friday January 19, 2018. Scholarship recipients will be notified no later than January 26, 2018.
Martha and Don Romeo Scholarship
The Nebraska Association of Fair Managers will award a $500 scholarship to one qualifying 4-H male and a $500 scholarship to one qualifying 4-H female who are graduating seniors in the State of Nebraska and who plan to continue with post high school education. The scholarship will be awarded at the annual NAFM convention in January.
The selection of the scholarship recipients will be made by the NAFM Scholarship Committee whose members will consider the following:
- Each applicant must have exhibited his/her 4-H projects in a County Fair or at the State Fair within the last four years.
- Each applicant must hold a 2.5 high school grade point average (based on a 4.0 system). Each applicant must also maintain a 2.5 grade point average for the first semester in college and carry at least 12 credit hours.
- Each applicant must agree to apply the scholarship funds for tuition or fees at a two or four year college or its equivalent, to be judged by the committee.
- Each applicant must have demonstrated support for his/her school and community.
- Each applicant must exhibit during the application process a desire to achieve the goals of which he/she is capable.
- Financial need will not be considered in the selection process.
- One male and/or female finalist will be selected by each 4-H award committee in the Local Extension Office.
- Recipients are requested to personally accept the award at the Nebraska Fair Managers Convention.
Applications are due in the applicant’s local County Extension Office by December 1, 2017.