Junior Newsletter Class of 2024
February 2023: Crosby Scholars Jr/Sr Program
Time to Create your College List!
- YOU - This journey is personal, and you need to understand what YOU need or want in a college.
- SCHOOL - Make a list of 10 schools that you are interested in learning about. Research what the school has to offer and what they are looking for in a student.
- BUDGET - It is VITAL that you understand the cost of college and apply to schools that you can either afford or will offer you merit/need-based scholarships. There is definitely help available to pay for college, but you have to start looking early and position yourself appropriately. The higher your grades and test scores, the less selective the school the more merit money might be available. The more selective the school, they are probably not offering merit aid, but they might offer need-based scholarships. Organizations like Questbridge.org match high achieving students with low household income with elite colleges for access to possible full ride scholarships. You can start NOW.
Crosby Scholars is offering additional academies this spring to help you get started. Any additional academies you participate in will count towards your senior year requirement. Topics I suggest:
- Creating your College List
- Understanding Financial Aid
- College 101 - Understanding the Application Process
Check out the virtual and in-person college fairs below that are available. Participating in these programs or sessions sponsored by admissions on college campuses can help you with this research.
College Fairs & College Visits
Black College Expo - In-Person Charlotte, NC - March 1, 2023
NACAC Virtual College Fairs
In Person NACAC College Fair - Charlotte, NC March 19, 2023
Students who have completed their Crosby Scholars Junior Year minimum requirements will be assigned their advisor first. Please contact Jenniffer Jamison with any questions. email@example.com
You can see your advisor's contact information on the Crosby Scholars Student Portal. Please respond when they reach out to you and please feel free to reach out to them.
Jr/Sr Academy Options
Every junior is required to attend one academy by January 31, 2023. Many of you have already met that requirement.
Remember you need 2 academies for Senior Year. We encourage you to attend another academy this spring. The Crosby Academies are where you find valuable content and information that you need to be successful.
See the Crosby Scholars Student Portal for the most up to date offerings:
In-Person Academy Options
- Crosby Seminar Series - Networking and Creating your Personal Brand - February 10, 2023, 9 am - 11 am - Crosby Scholars Office in Statesville.
- ACT Test Prep (Special 4-hour workshop) - Feb 18 - 9 am - 1pm The HUB @Davidson College
- Understanding Military Academy Application Process - March 4, 2023 - Join us as several of our students share their journey to be accepted into West Point, Naval Academy & Air Force Academy.
- Mitchell Open House - March 18 - 8:30 - 12:30 - Be sure to stop by check in table to get credit for academy. You will be touring Mitchell's campus.
LIVE Zoom Sessions
- Creating College List - February 11, 2023, 9am
- Thurgood Marshall College Fund Webinar - February 27, 2023 6pm
SELF PACED ACADEMY
- College 101 Video - Watch this video and email JJamison@crosbyscholarsiredell.org with 5 things you learned to get attendance credit.
- bit.ly/speakcollege - Print the 2-page fill in the blank document and after you complete the session send me your answers.
- Financial Literacy - CFNC.org - COMPLETE 10 Modules with 80% pass rate using the Crosby Code. Link to Literacy Academy --- CODE 46A8A3-2223
- YouScience- Career Exploration Evaluation -Sign up for the 1/31 Academy and a link will be sent to you to complete the aptitude and interest evaluation at your own pace.
Interested in any of these topics, please register in your portal now for the academies that best match your needs and schedule.
Prepare for Testing
Both the ACT and SAT will allow you to select several colleges to send your scores at no cost prior to the test. If you are not sure how you will perform on these tests, please DO NOT SEND YOUR SCORES without knowing them.
Crosby Scholars TEST PREP workshop - Feb 18 9 am - 1pm - Facilitated by The Learning Curve. Must register to attend.
Remember there are lots of FREE resources to help you prepare. Below is a PDF of a Practice Test you can start with. Also, sign up for our FREE 4 hour ACT Test Prep Session on Feb 18th.
T-Shirts Have been Delivered
The Iredell County Crosby Scholars Community Partnership
Location: 124 4th Crescent Place, Statesville, NC, United States