Tonasket School District
Weekly Update ~ 9/28/2018
"Focused on Learning and Linking Learning to Life"
One Purpose - Student Success
SCHOOL DISTRICT GOALS:
Capital Projects Levy Information: Election Day - 11/6/2018
Why is our District asking for funding?
Our Tonasket School District facilities are in good shape for 23-year-old buildings but, like our homes, some things wear out and need to be replaced. Also, technology has a short lifespan and needs to be replaced and upgraded periodically.
HVAC (Heating, Venting and Air Conditioning): Boilers, Air Chillers and Energy Efficiency:
The HVAC system is past its lifespan. It has been in place for 23 years and is constantly breaking down. The valves throughout the heating and cooling system are starting to leak propylene glycol which the district is continuously addressing. Replacing this system is an urgent need in order to keep an ideal temperature within the buildings for the health of the students and staff throughout the school district. Replacing the system would also significantly increase our energy efficiency.
Powerful Teaching and Learning
- The Capital Projects Levy Frequently Asked Questions document is now on the web page. Please take a look at this so you understand the District’s proposal.
- I’ll be attending staff meetings the next couple weeks to present information to all the staff regarding the levy.
- The ALE will be going through an audit next week. The auditor’s office informed us that they will be looking at enrollment reported for the Outreach Program in the 2017-18 school year.
- At the SAC meeting at the ESD on Thursday. The meeting started with a presentation on Equity and Excellence for Each Child by Ricardo Sanchez from our State Board of Education. We also heard from Maud Dodd on Career Connect Washington. Chris Reykdal, State Superintendent will be at our next meeting.
District Culture and Climate
- Thank you to all district staff in your support and handling of the tragic passing of one of our students. A memorial service will be held on Saturday at Bonaparte Forest Service picnic area @ 1pm. The family is requesting a happy celebration of life, bring your happy memories and fishing pole. There will be a BBQ potluck. Open to anyone who wants to attend.
- For those of you wanting to help with the costs of unexpected expenses, there is a GoFundMe (you can find the link on our facebook page) and a bank account has been set up at US Bank.
Parent and Community Engagement
- I’ll be giving capital projects levy presentations to the Chamber, Kiwanis and the PTO in the next couple weeks.
- The school board will be holding the Wednesday, October 10 meeting at 7:00 PM at the Wauconda Hall. This meeting is open to anyone who would like to attend. If you want to attend and would like a ride to Loomis, please contact Janet.
- Resignations: Suzette Ellis – ES Secretary
Sadie Sund – Assistant HS Volleyball Coach
- Hiring: Tasha Tibbs – ES Secretary
Jayden Hawkins – Assistant HS Volleyball Coach
- This week has been filled with homecoming activities. Good luck tonight Tigers
- Board Policy Updates.
Policy 2413 Equivalency Credit for Career and Technical Education Policy 2441 Valedictorian/Salutatorian Selection Process
- You can click the link below to view the policy updates: