We Are Sailing Through Kindergarten!
January 15th, 2016
- What a great kick-off to PARP! This week was all about books and reading. We went on our first field trip to the Oceanside Public Library. We each got our own library card and took a tour of the library. We even got to take out a book! Please be sure to return the book to the Oceanside Public Library, not the School 6 library.
- We also went to the Scholastic Book Fair. It was so much fun to browse and purchase some books!
- We spent the week learning and talking about Martin Luther King, Jr. We learned all about his dream and his message to others. MLK wanted people to get along and treat each other with respect. We discussed how we must carry out his message as kindergarteners at School 6 by being kind to one another, treating each other with respect, using our words to solve problems, etc. We vowed to continue to spread peace throughout our school, home, and community!
Things we've learned...
- We learned the following high frequency words: with, she, and me. Please review these words with your child at home.
- We learned the following Amazing Words: bamboo, curious, explore, healthy, measure, and weigh.
- We learned the following letters and sounds: Bb and Nn.
- In math, we began adding numbers and writing addition sentences using the plus sign and equal sign.
Books we've read...
- Little Panda by Joanne Ryder
- Martin's Big Words by Doreen Rappaport
- Martin Luther King, Jr.: a Biography for Young Children by Carol Hilgartner Schlank and Barbara Metzger
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day by Margaret McNamara
- Whoever You Are by Mem Fox
Star of the Week
Teegan was our star student this week. We learned that she loves horseback riding, puppies, and her family. She also showed us her dad's firefighter helmet. Thanks for sharing, Teegan (and thank you to Mr. Leibowitz for keeping us safe!). Great job, Teegan!
Daniel was our star student last week. He presented his poster on Monday. We learned that he loves sports, the Yankees and Derek Jeter, and Star Wars. Great job, Daniel!
- If you pack something in your child's lunch that requires a fork or spoon, please send the utensils in your child's lunch box. Thank you!
- PARP runs throughout the month of January. PARP encourages parents to read to their child each night. Read, read, read! :)
- The winter is bound to bring more absences. If your child is absent from school, please send in an absent note the day your child returns. Thank you!
- Please make sure your child’s name is on ALL homework. Please be sure to help your child read the directions carefully and check it when it is complete. Thank you for your continued support at home!
- Please continue to bring your ID with you at dismissal. It is a School #6 policy to always have your ID with you at dismissal. In the event that there is a substitute teacher, you will be required to show identification.
- To see more pictures from our days at School #6, check out our school page on the district website!