JCMS Parent Newsletter
Week of December 14-18
- ISTEP+ Score Release - the state was scheduled to release student test scores today to all parents. These are the final scores for students from last year. You should be able to use the information that was sent home last month to log into the IDOE site and retrieve your students score. If you need your log in information again, please contact our guidance department.
- Winter Break - Last day of school before break is this Friday. Winter break goes from December 21-January 4 with students starting back on January 5th.
- Comment Box - Please help make our school better. If you have feedback for us or a suggestion on how we would do something better, please click the following link and let us know. Be as detailed as possible in your suggestion so we are able to act upon it. http://goo.gl/forms/yUo6t4sp8X
- 2015-2016 Yearbooks - Now on Sale!! Order forms are being mailed home or you can go to: ybpay.lifetouch.com and enter Yearbook ID Code: 12069116. Prices start at $25 for a yearbook.
- Tobacco Cessation Classes - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5X2wXTZFLqSZEotYkdKdUd1blU
- Operation Spirit - During the month of December you have two opportunities to benefit Wayside Inn Homeless Shelter. Bring in canned goods to your homeroom for Operation Spirit or participate in the Builders Club Angel Tree. To participate in the Angel Tree, simply choose an ornament off the tree in the Commons, buy that item, and then return the item to the box under the tree. Share the warmth and the spirit of the season by helping others in your community. All collections will end on December 18.
- Winter Carnival - Each December, we hold a "carnival" for our students the day before winter break begins. We hold our Operation Spirit Convo. in the morning along with a fun activity for the students (usually a staff/student basketball or volleyball game) and then after lunch, the students have a choice between the dance/basketball ($4 cost), a movie in the auditorium, the library or the computer labs. The only stipulation that we make is that if a student receives a write-up between now and December 18, they will not be able to go to the afternoon festivities. Please reiterate this with your student that if they do something to get in trouble here at school between now and the carnival, they will not be able to participate.
- Parent Resources for December - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5X2wXTZFLqSVjUzVHYyVWRia3M
- Zach Ferguson Fundraiser - Please support your former classmate, Zach Ferguson, who passed away. Wrist bands will be sold for $2.00 in the JCMS Bookstore and in the cafeteria during lunches. Please keep the memory of Zach alive by supporting this fundraiser. All proceeds will go to Zach's funeral expenses.
- 7th Grade Math Tutoring - Struggling in math? Mrs. Ballenger will be available for tutoring and extra help every Thursday until 4:00pm.
21st Century Scholars
Many 7th and 8th grade students should be coming home with a 21st Century Scholar application and asking you to help them fill it out.
The 21st Century Scholarship is free tuition for college and/or training after high school in Indiana. We realize that middle school students aren't decided on their life plans at this point, but we encourage students to turn in this application to keep their choices for the future open. In exchange for this free Indiana tuition, students are making a pledge to maintain good grades, not get in trouble, and to not use illegal drugs or alcohol--all things that would help them be successful in post-secondary education. Students only have the opportunity to apply for this scholarship as a 7th or 8th grader, so please take a minute to ask your child if they have an application and complete it today. If your student has lost his/her application or doesn't remember getting one, you may apply online at Scholars.IN.gov or call the school counseling office and ask that we send a paper copy to you!
A Message from George Grubbs
Not only is it important to look back, this time of year is also a time to start looking forward. ISTEP+ will be on us before we know it and after that, we will be wrapping up all the lose ends to finish the school year. As we move forward, encourage your student to continue to work hard and stay on top of their education. There are so many fundamental skills that our students are developing which they will need for successful futures and we need your help to make progress with those skills. Stay in contact with your students teachers, counselors and me to let us know how we can best help your student. We firmly believe that every student in our school will walk away from their time with us with the skills necessary to be successful in high school and beyond but we need your help to do that. We appreciate all the support that you can give to your child and on behalf of the staff at JCMS, we look forward to bringing in the new year with you and your student.
Have a great holiday season!