Narcissistic Personality Disorder
By: Karen Tompkins
People will have an inflated sense of their own importance, or a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. Underneath lies a very low self esteem. It is hard on anything to do with relationships, school, home, and work. Usually they will act out when they are under stress in a social situation.http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20025568
- Become impatient or angry when you don't get entitlement. Want the best of everything and can't handle criticism well. You have secret feelings of insecurity and anxiety in you. You tend to act out/ lash out onto other people that seem inferior to you. You are expected to get recognized and a lot. You will talk above yourself a lot and take advantage of others. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20025568
Typically mismatches in a parent/ childhood relationship. If they get excessive pampering or excessive criticism. Some even say genetics or psychobiology ( The connections between brain, behavior, and thinking) can lead to Narcissistic Personality Disorder. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20025568
- Look for signs and symptoms.
- A thorough psych evaluation, which may involve questionnaires.
- Physical exams http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20025568
There are no medications directly to the disorder, but medications for some symptoms such as anxiety and depression.
Talk therapy: Learn to relate to others and understand causes of emotions
Affects more males than females. This disorder usually begins int he early teens- adulthood.
College students are most likely to develop it, but it most likely will disappear when you mature and get older.
- Its is rare to get it.
- When men get this disorder they usually take it out on women,
- When men have it they are most likely to commit domestic violence
- Keiller thinks Mel Gibson has it by the way he acts out, and his sexist remarks to a female police officer. He also has aggressive outbursts towards women.