The Manning Weekly Newsletter
March 1, 2019
Check the date at the top of this page. It’s March Madness! Some people associate this month with spring, while the snow and frigid temperatures remind us all that it's still indeed winter for at least three more weeks. Nonetheless, with spring right around the corner, we have many things to look forward to including...
a much needed spring break
flowers and sunshine
my favorite athletic event - the NCAA National Basketball Tournament
an opportunity to demonstrate our students' growth on CMAS
our authentic challenge week
and of course, 8th Grade Continuation!
It's all coming up in the blink of an eye, so hold onto your hats and buckle up.
Have a great weekend.
David / Mr. Luongo
Mrs. Templeton is sending the following notice out to all of you about some recent unsafe social media trends and how to help kids navigate the internet appropriately.
Refreshments will be sold!
Please join us for the Band and Orchestra concert on Mar. 12th at 7:00 p.m. and the Choir and Images concert on Mar. 13th at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are available at the following website. https://search.seatyourself.biz/webstore/accounts/themanningschool/buy-tix?d=0https://search.seatyourself.biz/webstore/accounts/themanningschool/buy-tix?d=0
8th Grader Kendall McCoy Wins Prestigious AWRSAY Award
Kendall was recognized as one of the 2019 recipients of the Arvada-Wheat Ridge Service Ambassadors for Youth (AWRSAY) award. She was selected for her outstanding accomplishments for overcoming personal adversity and committing to a better future for yourself and your community. Way to go, Kendall!
Do you have any good photos?
For the production of the 2018-2019 Manning Yearbook, we could use your help. We are looking for photos you may have of concerts, first day of school, the dance, or other big events. Please e-mail any pictures you think would be great for yearbook to Karen Edoff (email@example.com)
Congrats to our 8th Graders Accepted to Arvada West!
Message from the PTA
The Nominating Committee is accepting nominations for Secretary and Treasurer for the 2019-20 Manning PTA Executive Board. The Nominating Committee members are Shannon Clifford, Christine Dempsey, Brian St. George, and Marcia Guadagni. If you would like to nominate someone - including yourself! - please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nominating Committee is also looking for parents interested in filling important Committee positions for next year:
- Chili Cook-off
- Silent Auction
If you, or someone you know, is interested in these positions or in learning more about what they do, please email us email@example.com.
The Manning PTA provides two $500 scholarships to graduating seniors who attended Manning. If you know any young men or women graduating from high school in the spring of 2019, please help spread the word. Information is available through this link: manningpta.org/forms/pta-scholarship/ or through their high school counselors. If you have any questions, please contact Cora Rice at firstname.lastname@example.org. Scholarship forms are due March 15.
8th Graders Act in their "Lost Years of Merlin" Skits
STEM Students Give Each Other Feedback on Their Towers
Handball is the New Fun Game in PE
Mr. Mo is Always Mixing up His Classroom Activities
Fairy Tale Authors Are So Proud of their Work
French Students Act out Plays
Spring Sports are Right around the Corner!
Day Without Hate - April 26th
This year, our Manning Student Council is encouraging students to participate in our Day Without Hate on Friday, April 26th by wearing this T-shirt to school. If you decide not to purchase the shirt, we still encourage you to where white on April 26th, but T-shirts are only $5!
Once you fill out the form, we still need you to log in to your Jeffco Connect account and pay the $5 fee online. If you wish to get more than one tee shirt, please contact Jade Zentz at 303-982-6226.
Manning Talent Show - Friday, March 15th at 6:00 pm
Do you have a special talent? Come audition for the Manning Talent Show!
Auditions: Wed. 2/27 from 2:30-3:30 in the auditorium.
Students need to come to their audition prepared! We will provide a chair or stool, microphone, piano, ability to play MP3 from a phone or other device, and a CD player. Anything else needs to be provided by the student.
This talent show will be judged and we may not accept all auditions.
Students who are selected to perform will have 2 mandatory rehearsals and 1 dress rehearsal.
Wed. Mar. 6th from 2:30-3:30 p.m. - rehearsal
Wed., Mar. 13th from 2:30-3:30 p.m. - rehearsal
Fri., March 15th from 1:15-2:15 p.m. - dress rehearsal (this is an early release day, so please bring a sack lunch as lunch is not provided)
Fri., March 15th - 6:00 p.m. PERFORMANCE!
Jeffco Schools Foundation is Asking for Gala Donations
Another Way to Contribute is to Go to the Nuggets Game on March 2nd - Jeffco Community Night
Europe Trip! Info Meeting March 6th
Any Girls Looking to Play Softball?
Golden Girls Softball registration is open for the 2019 spring/summer season! We are a recreational league with teams for girls from ages 5-18. We play against other teams in Jefferson County, so travel is limited! Practices start in April with games May-July.
Register online today at: http://www.goldengirlssoftball.org
Follow Manning on Instagram! username- manningschool
Please follow us on facebook, too! @themanningschooljeffco
Anne Frank Field Trip
Reminder to Utilize Tutor Time in the Morning 7:50 - 8:15
- Monday - Math or Electives
- Tuesday - Math or English or 6th Grade Science
- Wednesday - Math or Social Studies
- Thursday - Math or Science
- Friday - Math
- vertical alignment
- authentic tasks
At Manning, we strive to live our core values every day.
- C.J. LeBlanc, Tommy Reddinger, Joe Dille, & Jack Drobny showed honesty by reminding Mr. Richardson that he made a mistake in their team's score, even though it caused them to come in second place instead of first.
- Max Seigal has been one of my best friends for all of my life and he has yet to be dishonest with me.
- Zeke Neil was an honest person. I lost my pencil bag and it turns out that he had the same one as me. He didn't see my name on the back. I kindly asked him "is it yours" he kindly back said "yes I think". He looked on the back and noticed it had my name. I will always know he is a great person and he is an awesome person.
- I was in access and I was stuck on a couple questions for my math homework. Cole Cattapan kindly offered to help me with my math homework. He helped me through my math questions and made sure that I understood the concept of the questions.
- The seventh period Algebra for Mrs. Cahill class got their test back, but the tests were different than what was on the Campus Portal. So, they all went up to Mrs. Cahill and told her in a nice way that she made a mistake. She then told the class what happened. Even though some people were going to get a worse grade that was on portal, they all went up and took the grade they really got! Good Job Seventh period!
- Quaid Wetch found a piece of paper on the floor that looked important and ungraded and so he then picked it up and hung it up on a white board with a kind message.
- Jasmine Chang came up to me to ask about her score on her Symbolism PEA because she got more points than the assignment was worth and thought it was an error. She did, in fact, earn extra credit for exceeding expectations on two of the three elements of her PEA which meant that the points earned looked like it might have been a mistake. She was honest about a possible error in the gradebook, but it turned out she just wrote an amazing PEA! :)
- Elizabeth Swanson is an amazing friend. She always knows how to cheer me up and how to push me past what I'm comfortable with.
- Mr. Rubin tries really hard to help us and makes sure we understand the material.
- Blake Holmes showed lots of effort because he is always trying his best to get homework and classwork completed
- Liam Farrow tried his hardest even though he has a broken thumb
- Mr. Rubin tries hard to have us understand the lesson
- Malarie works with me in my buisness group and we were all brainstorming ideas about voice commercials. She came up with lots of ideas as well as kept us entertainted with all her puns.
- Gianna Bergren is a very sweet person and she tries to be the best student/person she can
- Madden Lee goes home and spends hours doing here math homework and then still makes time for other things after school.
- Mrs. Sawyer was sick this week but she never missed school.
- I really like how Mr. Jonson challenges us, gives us freedom, yet works with us to succeed. It doesn't feel like school.
- Mr. Rubin has always been such a understanding and pleasant math teacher to have. Even when I had an annoying question Mr. Rubin had no trouble helping me through it.
- I was crying really hard and was really sad but then Aevry Greene helped me feel better and took care of me.
- Emmy Leu is always so nice to me! She always cheers up my day in Musical Theater, and Access! She helped me with my math homework when I needed help! She is a great friend and a genuine person! Thank you Emmy!
- Mr. Crawford takes time out of his day to come up with exciting new ways to teach us the content
- Julia always tries her best to be friends with everyone.
- Ms. Austin is always working hard to help her students achieve, she inspires them to be creative and kindles a passion for art!
- 4th period Ms McLeod English - We always have fun but still get our work done. WE ARE AWESOME.
- Ms. K always brightens my day and cheers my mood! She is a great teacher and a super awesome friend! She always pushes me to achieve my work each and every day! I always look forward to going to 2nd period! Thank you Ms. K!
- Mr. Jonson always make a fun class that is very hands on, letting me experience everything with the right amount of guidance.
- Liam Nobel Rudolph gets all his work done with great quality.
- Malarie Knox is always ready for class and has good ideas
- Elania worked so hard to finish something in Buisness class. She is an awsome friend . Keep it up
- Mr. Hageman does his best to make class fun and he does it well.
- Ms. Mcleod's 4th period ELA class is always putting a lot of effort towards all work.
- Ms. Agard always helps her students stay on task and makes learning fun.
- In access Cole Cattapan always helps me with all of my work including classes he isnt in. If im sad he is always there to help me get better, if im stressed he will kindly help me get back on track. Without him my grades would be suffering.
- Mrs. Claussen will always offer to help her access class out with there english assinments or any other work we are stuggling with.
- Ms. Hughes always offers to help you with your homework and concept checks, and when you are struggling, then she will work with you until you understand the concepts.
- My mom is so nice and she try's so hard to raise my younger brother, younger sister, and me.
- 4th Period is always on task and so helpful. I feel like a family in this class because everyone is so supportive of each other and we all trust each other to share ideas. We all achieve high and push each other to do better. I love being in this class! ELA is so much fun!
- Makenna Mertz helped me carry all my stuff when she saw struggle and then she was talking with me and being funny
- I nominate Luke Dempsey because he always puts in 100% effort in whatever he does weather it's homework or tests. Also he is so helpful when you are struggling with homework.
- Mr. Luongo is always outside in the cold to say good morning. Also he watches us during recess by standing out in the cold snow to keep us safe.
- Mr. Miller helped us with our act for the talent show even though it didn't work out.
- Erin Kurtin is really nice and helpful. She is always trying to make sure everyone is doing alright, and she is an amazing worker in Business.
- I was really sad and was crying and then McKenna Mertz saw me sad and took care of me and made me happier. And she made me smile when i was crying soo hard and was really sad and she wiped away my tears.
- Lucas Jones is always trying his best and he is very thoughtful. He is always trying to understand people's feelings.
- Mrs. McLeod's access class always works hard on our homework, and we help each other when we're having trouble. We study and work when it's quiet time, and still have fun when we can.
- It is really cool to have Mr. Jonson as a teacher. He brings the energy and makes class hard and fun. He makes my brain hurt but I have fun doing it.
- People say Mrs. Garcia Lee is hard but those people will come out of this semester with As and Bs because she went hard on you to do your best and especially the kids who have trouble.
- Max Seigal has been there for me as long as I can remember and without him wouldn't be the man I am today
- Mr. Rubin is a hard working understanding teacher that will help you with anything you need help with.
- Ms.Cahill is a very kind an nice teacher. She is always putting her full effort in making sure that her students understand the peices of work that is given and slows down if kids need her to. She also is an amazing access teacher were she always is ready to help with a tricky math question. She helps you but makes sure not to give the answer directly but to make sure you understand the work given.
- Luna Bella - this lizard always cheers me up when I am sad and she is also adorable!
- Aevry Greene and Meckenna Mertz were helping smile when I was crying super hard and they wiped away my tears
- Malarie Knox works in my group for buisness. We had to come up with ideas for voive commercials and she came up with a lot of ideas as well as keeping us entertained with all her puns.
- Mrs. Retke always helps
- Hunter Barr always tries do his best in his classes and he does alot to get his grades up.
- Maria Corosco never fails to cheer others up, her upbeat and cheerful personality uplifts the people around her. Not only that but her dedication to school and gymnastics is very admirable!
- I nominate Campbell T, because she is super sweet and genuine and you can always turn to her when you are sad.
- Zennyth Gray and Clara Bailey made jeopardy games to review science concepts. Thank you for sharing with your peers!!
- Delsey Stringer created hand movements to represent the parts of the water cycle and taught them to her class to review. Thank you Delsey!!
- Thank you Maizy Hoffman for creating an in depth Kahoot game for your peers to review the water unit.
- When you walk in the doors in the morning, Dylan Kemper always smiles and dances along to the tardy song.
- Anneke Powell is a great friend and helps me when I have trouble on a homework problem or class work. thanks anneke
- Mr. Luongo comes to school every morning with a good attitude and helps make our school a better place
- Makayla Pedraza is always nice
- Mr hageman was walking to his classroom when he saw a pencil on the ground behind him and he took the time to turn around and pick the pencil up.
- Hudson Vallin-Serwinowski is so polite and respectful. He knows when to talk and when to listen. He is usually on task and asks relevant questions. Overall he shows a lot of respect and he is a great person.
- Mr. Hageman inspires me to read every day and teaches me to love reading
- Alec Mendez is a great classmate and is always so respectful towards others, the teacher, and the classroom. He is always on task or helping others responsibly, and is always kind in general.
- Olivia Kennedy is always helping me when I need her she is kind to everyone and is very respectful. She makes a big impact on me.
- Blake Holmes is an awesome friend
- Jordan Aulik is a very nice friend.
- Mr. Jonson is always nice to everyone
- Mr. Jonson works hard and respects everyone in his classes
- Kaylee Gilbertson is a muy bueno amigo and is always fun to be with.
- Nora Ambro is always a great friend
- Hannah Gribnitz is so supportive and is so happy all of the time. I love how energized and kind she is.
- I nominate Landon because he super sweet and very respectful to everyone.
- Sophie Wong is always working so hard in group projects and once you get to know her she is so nice and kind.
- I like how Mr. Jonson thinks outside the box. He does things differently and it challenges me to think differently.
- Quade is always so nice, and he always is complimenting people, even when it isn't necessary. He deserves respect more than anybody else.
- Many students were walking up the ramp to my cottage on Thursday, walking right past a piece of garbage that a student had dropped at the bottom of the ramp. Billie Holland noticed the piece of trash, picked it up, and threw it away! She showed respect for her school environment!
- Mr. Hovenin let us interview him for announcement about his class pets. He took time out of his day and we appreciate it! Thank you!
- The entire 8th grade has all come a long way from little seventh graders to eigth graders. We are almost in high school, and we are going to miss our friends but cant wait to make our own future.
- Stella Bane is always in a good mood and always makes my day.
- Luke Dempsey is really inclusive in gym class and he makes sure that everybody has a turn in the game we are playing.
- Mrs. Cahill always helps me out in math class when I am struggling, and tr to help me understand.
- Vance Colle works in the same group as me in buissness class. We had a lot of work to finish for a project that we were doing. WHen Vance finsihed all of his work he went around to help everyone else with there work
- When any one is having a hard day, Sofee Dwyer tries her best to help them and does anything to help anyone
- When my friend Tim got hurt, Roman Anderson walked with him to go get him some help at recess.
- Zeke Nail is a great friend who is always there for you, and helps you feel happy whenever you are bored or feeling down. He is friends with everybody, and makes everything fun, while still helping you get work done.
- Me and Grayson Baker worked together in class to make a amazing presentation in class
- Luke Dempsey is a great teammate within a group, and a very good leader in groups too. He always brings a sense of lightheartedness to groups, makes everyone smile, and is good at making sure everyone has done or is doing what they need to be doing.
- Thank you Shayne Winn & Aubrey Pasquale for picking up trash and supplies in the classroom after your classmates left and putting up chairs. I appreciate you!
- Kit LeBlanc always makes me laugh and is always there to make my day better whenever I am feeling down.
- Sydney Kitchens is always there for me, She helps me face my fears, and now she is introducing me to something I have never one before, the talent show. When I told her I wasent very good at anything, she came up with a new, awesome act, that we could both be in. Thanks sid!
- Mr crawford creates great team work with his co workers and students.
- 4th period with Ms McLeod is always so much fun and I feel safe there. Sometimes I wish that I was back in 7th period with my friend like last semester, but I love being 4th period too much!!
- Jordan Chang helps everyone around them with any time of problem or homework they may have.
- Jordan Chang - When I was struggling completing my math homework. This gent helped my understand the concepts while not giving the problem away. This way I actually had to use what he taught me to complete the problem. Thus proving that he had been a good teacher.
- Malerie Knox and Erin Kurtin worked really well in our group and are always really kind and funny.
- before, i was lonely. i sat alone at the peanut allergy table until she came. we talked and became friends. she made me feel happier with a friend. Thanks, Sklyer Mercer!
- Ella Strafface was such a good partner in Photography! She is always so outgoing and makes my day! Ella is a very good friend and an amazing photographer! Thank you Ella!
- Malarie Knox is a very optimistic person and always helps out other people that need it. She also makes the best jokes when the time is right to cheer you up.
- Sam Larson helped me understand code and how to use it in digital design
- Alexis Paliga took time out of there day to help me with my social studies homework.
- Brad Applegate is always helping me when when I need help even if e is not done with his with yet.
- Sam Larson really helped me in digital design, I was able to learn and figure out how to use code because of him. If I didnt have him I would be lost
- Mari Ruffinazi and I were working in a group and she was very helpful and she made sure i got what we were talking about and how to o it.
- Niki Cattany always has a fun spirit in 4th period and she always works hard. She always also contributes to the team.