Principal's Monthly Newsletter
Message from Principal Williams
Just sharing some great news in case you weren't with us for Open House!
NC report cards were issued recently (September) for schools statewide:
- Our school GREW a letter grade - from a C to a B!
- Our students EXCEEDED growth!
- 71% of our students are PROFICIENT!
That is something phenomenal to CELEBRATE!!!
Positivity Project at York Elementary
The basic jist of the Positivity Project is that Other People Matter!
To sum up positive psychology in just three words – Other People Matter. Period. Anything that builds relationships between and among people is going to make you happy.
As a school, we officially kicked off #OtherPeopleMatter by learning about what that means. This year all students will learn about each of the 24 character strengths.
To learn more, please visit the Positivity Project Website.
Think about ways to incorporate this at home and share it with us through Twitter or Facebook...#OtherFamilyMembersMatter!
Week of September 11-15 = Other People Matter
Week of September 18-22 = Curiosity
Week of September 25-29 = Open Mindedness
Week(s) of October 2-13 = Perspective
Week of October 16-20 = Teamwork/Citizenship
Member Hub is a brand new communication tool that has been made available to all North Carolina PTA's this year. Member Hub is great because it provides ONE place for all organization communication to take place. At York, our goal is use Member Hub to announce various events, volunteer/donation opportunities, and simplify classroom communication between parents/teachers. Please consider joining Member Hub today, check out our calendar for a glimpse of what to expect this year and find ways you can support York, such as linking your Harris Teeter VIC card or joining the PTA. And keep in mind that this is a new technology, thank you for being patient with us as we work out the kinks.
Plan to visit Member Hub frequently to stay in the loop about all of the wonderful happenings at York Elementary!
STEM Updates from Ms. O
- Popping Praise to our AMAZING PTA for rocking and rolling with one fundraiser and already moving mountains with the Bulldog Bonanza!! Help York Elementary school reach our goal of $10000 so we can purchase the WEATHERBUG! This machinery will give our students the opportunity to learn about local, state, and global weather! They also have access to nonfiction text and STEM units on WEATHER! Every dollar counts and makes a difference! Donate today! (Please and thank you!)
Start playing around on the WeatherBug App today: (It's FREE!)
Just THINK YORK will be your pin soon!
- Don't forget the Schoolwide STEM Challenge for Qtr. 1 Challenge is on Hurricanes. Student's will test their towers against the ever scary wind tunnel and rain storm! It is due 10/27 first thing in the morning at 9:15 am. Like last time we will test the towers and send student's back quickly to class. See PDF for more details if you need them.
Projects will be due October 27th @ 9:15 am.
Students will test towers that morning!
- Looking for something fun and engaging to do with your kids? Check out the local events going on at Marbles! http://www.marbleskidsmuseum.org/calendar/. My personal favorite coming up is: Operation Pumpkin with WakeMed Pediatric Surgeons
Saturday, October 21 | 11 am-2 pm
Scalpel please! Carve a pumpkin alongside the steady hands of a WakeMed pediatric surgeon. This event is free with museum admission. All participants receive a free pumpkin (while supplies last).
Common Core State Standards (CCSS) - Breakdown for Parents
October YES Events - Save the date!
- October 2-6 = Bullying Prevention and Awareness Week - See flyer sent home 9/29
- October 4th - Ident-a-Kid Pictures
- October 5th - BYOD 4th/5th grade Parent Meeting @ 5:00 pm - Media Center
- October 6th - Grandparent Luncheon - during class lunchtimes - Gym
- October 7th - Garden & Grounds Day @ 9:00 am
- October 19th - 3:00-6:00pm - Pick up orders from Fall Fundraiser
- Friday October 20th is an early release day = students dismissed @ 1:15pm
- October 27th - Sock Hop - 6:00-8:00 pm
- Tuesday October 31st - Teacher Workday - No school for students