Weekly Newsletter - December 8, 2019
celebrating 25 years of excellence in catholic education
The Second Sunday of Advent
Our Mission and Vision Statements
St. Joseph Catholic School provides students with a safe and prayerful learning environment, enveloped by an intimate community of active and faithful families.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Fort Worth are committed to opening the doors so that our students can reach further than the walls that would otherwise enclose them and therefore are able to recognize and cherish the eternal and transcendental goods of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.
From the Principal
Happy second week of Advent!
In this Sunday's readings, we are told to "prepare the way of the Lord, make straight His paths" by John the Baptist. This is the message and challenge we are to keep in our hearts as we move through the Advent Season. It is a challenge to focus on this message with the enormous list of things we all need to accomplish before Christmas Day is here. We must remember to ask ourselves what is most important in these upcoming days, checking off items from our lists or preparing our hearts to receive the Lord at Christmas?
The Lord has done great things for us. We can honor His gifts in how we receive Him at Christmas.
In Christ's service,
Diane Price, M.Ed.L.
Theme for the Year: Goodness
Goodness Bible Verse for December
new saintly quote to ponder
I have often thought with wonder of the great goodness of God; and my soul has rejoiced in the contemplation of His great magnificence and mercy. May He be blessed for ever! For I see clearly that He has not omitted to reward me, even in this life, for every one of my good desires. - St. Teresa of Avila
Latin and greek roots challenge
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- Tomorrow, we celebrate the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary - This is not a Holy Day of Obligation this year.
- Congratulations, Fr. Kelley! - Today is Fr. Kelley's birthday and tomorrow is the anniversary of his ordination. He has been a priest for 24 years!
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Play - Come join us for tomorrow's Monday Morning Prayer Service to see Upper School perform in honor of Our Lady, whose feast day is this Wednesday, December 12th.
- Candy Cane Gram Sales - We are accepting orders for these through December 10th. They will be delivered on December 12th. Please see the Thursday Folder for details, or Mrs. Gallagher's notes sent out December 3rd. Thank you for supporting Student Council!
- Spirit Night - December 10th at Chick-fil-A located at 4700 S. Cooper St., from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Come enjoy great food and fellowship in support of SJCS. Hope you can make it!
- The Art of Mary - Entries are due December 11th.
- Teacher for a Day - Wednesday, December 11th.
- Book Fair is here! - Thursday, December 12th, the book fair will be open after school. The fair will run through the morning of December 19th. We hope you enjoy the fair!
- Goodies Needed for Parish Baskets - We are still in need of home-baked goodies or store-bought treats for the parish Christmas baskets we deliver each year to our founding parishes. We will accept items from now until Friday (Dec. 13th). The baskets will be assembled Friday after morning announcements. You may achieve service hours by donating. Thank you in advance for your service and generosity.
- If you are an Amazon customer, please use Amazon Smile! We receive a donation from Amazon when you shop. Go to: smile.amazon.com to participate. It is a very easy way to support the school! Thank you!
- If you know a St. Joseph Catholic School alumni, please let them know we are looking to stay in contact, and would love to hear how they are doing. See the notice in our alumni section of below.
SJCS Made the Blog!
Your support of any dollar amount for Good Samaritan Primary School will help students succeed in their educational aspirations and secure a bright future. Thank you!
Water Walk 2019
Home and School Association (HSA)
- Our next Home and School Association (HSA) Meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 15th at 7:00 pm in the school cafeteria, with "Meet the Artist" in the library, beginning at 6:00 pm. More information to come about that. We hope you can attend!
- The children of HSA Members who have paid their dues to join, and are able to attend the monthly meetings, are allowed to wear any SJCS spirit shirt purchased through the school with blue jeans and tennis shoes of their choice to school on the Thursday after the meeting!
HSA Spirit Night Contest
This year we are going to have a Spirit Night Contest!
The class that has the most attendance for Spirit Nights will win an ICE CREAM Sundae Party!
Each teacher will be given an envelope to keep the receipts and it is easy to participate!
Three Easy Steps:
1. Attend a Spirit Night
2. Save your receipt
3. Turn the receipt in to your teacher (if multiple students turn in their receipt to one teacher, be sure to write all the students' names on the receipt)
Knights in Action!
Monday Morning Prayer Service
We are thankful
Before the Thanksgiving Break, our Knights showed their thanks in a variety of ways. They ate together, prayed together, and enjoyed one another's company. We have much to be thankful for at St. Joseph Catholic School.
Moments Around Campus
Present your findings
The students in Mrs. Heid's class brainstormed in groups to develop quality lists of adjectives, not adverbs. The feedback was positive.
| || |
Feast Day of St. Nicholas
Mystery Readers in the Library
Art This Week
In Art this week, 8th grade was hard at work using their creativity with portraits of the greats! They were pretty great themselves!
Little Gobbler Open House
Displays Around Campus
Updated STREAM Wish list
STREAM Enrichment would love to have these items donated for your children's use.
- Peppermint Candy
- Gum Drops
- Solo Cups
- Aluminum Foil
- Popsicle sticks (big and small) (colored and plain)
- Scotch tape
- Gallon bags
- Hersey Kisses
- Jolly Ranchers
Do you have any information you would like to share with the entire Knight Community? We would love that as well! Please send your news to email@example.com
Meet our Dominican Sisters!
Meet our parish priests!
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish
- Be sure to look into FORMED.org. The parish has paid for your subscription to this vast library of inspiring videos and essential reads to help grow your faith. Just go straight to the "Enter Code" button and enter 4BDX9H to begin the process. You may also access this through the parish website link below. Enjoy!
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is occurring after daily Mass in the Chapel until 5:45pm. Come spend some time with our Lord.
- Please enjoy this link to a lovely article in the North Texas Catholic about the pastor of St. Joseph Parish, Fr. Kelley: https://t.co/3ItrotxIyf
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth link:
ST. JOSEPH, PROTECTOR OF FAMILIES, PRAY FOR US.