News from the Nest
4 Weeks Until Summer Vacation!
- Monday, May 15 - Auditions for 4th graders for the NBMS musical for next year
- Monday, May 15 - Volunteer Proctor Training - 1:30 pm - 2:15 pm
- Friday, May 19 - Volunteer Proctor Training - 9:30 am - 10:15 am.
- Friday, May 26 - Reading EOG for 3rd & 4th grades
- Monday, May 29 - No School (Memorial Day)
- Wednesday, May 31 - Math EOG for 3rd & 4th grades
- Tuesday, June 6 - 2nd grade End-of-Year celebration (Details below)
- Wednesday, June 7 - 3rd grade End-of-Year celebration (more details coming soon!)
- Thursday, June 8 - 4th Grade Promotion (Details below)
- Friday, June 9 - Early Dismissal (12:25pm) & Last Day of School
A Note from Mrs. Nichols
Dear Weaverville Elementary Families:
May is a busy, busy time! Be sure to read my notes below so that you can be in the "know" about everything happening at WvES!
Here are some important things to note for the coming weeks:
- I will be reaching out to families this week that owe lunch money. Please do your best to pay off your account before the end of the school year. Our school has a combined debt of $450.
- Yearbooks are on sale for $5. Cash or Check is accepted, and students can give money to their classroom teacher. We can't make change, so please bring $5 exactly.
If you'd like to donate $5 (or any amount) to pay for another student's yearbook, we will accept additional donations. We want every student to be able to get a yearbook this year.We will give yearbooks to students the last week of school. They will have plenty of time to have friends and teachers sign their yearbook.
- Volunteer Proctor Training - End of Grade Assessments are coming up, and we need a few proctors. You can be a proctor if you have Level 2 Volunteer Status. Proctoring is simply monitoring the testing environment during an EOG. Proctors do not administer the test or even handle test materials. If you'd like to proctor, you must be available during Reading EOGs (Friday, May 26th from 8:00 - 11:30) and/or Math EOGs (Wednesday, May 31st from 8:00 - 11:30). Please email Mary Nichols (Mary.firstname.lastname@example.org) if you'd like to volunteer for this! Proctor training times are
- Monday, May 15th - 1:30 - 2:15 pm (Sign in at front desk)
- Friday, May 19th - 9:30 - 10:15 am (Sign in at front desk)
- 4th Grade Families: North Windy Ridge would like information about how your child will be getting to and from school next year. Please complete this form as soon as you can : North Windy Ridge Transportation Form for Rising 5th Grade Parents
- Learning Styles Form for Parents: As our staff start work on the class placement process for next year, I want to give every parent a chance to tell us what went well this year. I also want to hear how your child learns best. We are not able to honor parent requests for specific teachers, but we take a lot of time and give a lot of attention to the process of placing each individual student for next school year. We consider so many factors - academic strengths, needs, behavior, peer relationships, interests, etc. Here's your opportunity to be part of the process! Please complete this short form by Friday, May 19th:
- Title 1 Parent Engagement Survey: Weaverville Elementary School is a Title I School, and as the parent/guardian of a child attending a Title I School you are an important part of the Title I Team. Your input is vital in the planning and implementation of the parental involvement program and activities in our school. The following survey will be used to assist us with future planning for parental involvement activities and events at Weaverville Elementary School.
Thanks for all you do to support your child's success at school each day!
End of Year Celebrations
4th Grade Promotion
Our 4th Grade Families are invited to attend the 4th Grade Promotion and Picnic on Thursday, June 8th, starting at 11:30 am. Students and families will start in the gym and finish with an End-of-Year picnic outside.
3rd Grade End-of-Year Celebration
2nd Grade End-of-Year Celebration
2nd Grade families are invited to visit their child's classroom on Tuesday, June 6 at 10:00 am for an end-of-year celebration. Students will then be walking to Lake Louise for a picnic and play time. Parents are invited to meet at Lake Louise.
*Weaverville PD will be supporting our students on their walk by blocking roads.
BCS Parent Survey - 2023
Parent/ Guardian Survey
We’re asking for just a few minutes of your time to complete our Parent Survey. Your input is crucial to our ability to evaluate and improve the school environment. Please be assured that your responses will be kept completely confidential. The survey will only take a few minutes and will be available online until May 08. You may also complete this survey at your child’s school on paper or on a shared computer.
For your reference: Parent Survey (English) is located at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WS69FZP
NBHS Youth Athletic Camps (Summer)
Check out these Summer Youth Athletic Camps planned at North Buncombe High School.
Do You Want to be a Mentor?
- Free/Reduced Lunch Application: www.lunchapplication.com
- Please do not check your child out between 1:55-2:55 so that we can have a safe and calm dismissal for students each day.
- Please always let us know in writing if there is a transportation change for your child.
- Please let us know by 1:00 pm if you are changing your child's regular dismissal procedure.
Don't forget that our students, staff, and visitors have access to masks all day long. We have regular 3-ply masks and KN95 masks available. Masks are available in the front office, and we have reminders at hand-sanitizing stations that you can get a mask in the front office.
If a student requests a KN95 mask, we must have parent permission since it is considered a respirator. Parents must complete the Voluntary Respirator Use Form and sign and return. Here is a link to the form. If a student requests a KN95 mask, and we do not already have the form on file, we will email it to parent/guardians for you to sign.
Important Links for Parents/Caregivers
Contact Weaverville Elementary School
Address: 129 South Main St., Weaverville, NC 28787
Mary Nichols - Principal (Mary.email@example.com)
*Please email both office staff if you have a dismissal change.
Dawn Flanigan-Bryson - Data Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- student information/records
Ashley Mendoza - Head Secretary (Ashley.email@example.com)
- general inquiries
- money questions related to school
- bus questions
COVID Updated Protocols
If a student tests positive for COVID (at home or at a healthcare provider), they would isolate for 5 days from when their symptoms began. We will recognize the guidelines established by the CDC and NCDHHS regarding the use of a face covering to be worn for days 6-10 upon return to school.
Our normal exclusionary symptoms of fever, diarrhea, and vomiting are in effect. If a student has a fever, diarrhea, or vomiting, they must remain at home until symptoms are resolved for 24 hours.
Hand hygiene, enhanced cleaning protocols, and improved ventilation are all still priorities and important mitigating strategies.
Face coverings remain optional, to be worn by anyone at anytime.
Physical distancing such as 3 ft or 6 ft apart is no longer required.
Contact tracing is not required.
Following the guidelines established by the CDC and NCDHHS, MAHEC will not be providing rapid antigen testing in our schools. Staff and families may order at home tests for free via this link: https://www.covid.gov/tests.
MAHEC will send home further guidance regarding when students need to stay home due to an illness.
For students where an absence is Covid related please indicate this in your parent or health provider's note.
Students/teachers will follow the same guidelines for makeup work as they would for any other illness or injury.