Killian STEAM Leader's Academy- Friday, January 29, 2016
Our Mission and Vision
To prepare students to become responsible 21st Century leaders and citizens in a global society.
Killian Elementary, with the support of its parents and community, dedicates itself to providing an innovative curriculum in a safe, nurturing environment that will prepare students to be productive students in a global society.
"What you do today can improve all your tomorrows." - Ralph Marston
Cold Weather Reminder
Please ensure that students have their coats for recess and when they leave for the day, especially when it is extremely cold.
Dr. Thompson is available to meet with teams to provide support, planning, modeling, whisper coaching, co-teaching, etc. Please take advantage of his expertise. Dr. Thompson is available to meet Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday each month except the first Friday of each month as of January 2016. This will include preparation for teachers, planning, using new standards. He will provide articles to support your teaching. He is available on other days to whisper coach, co-teach, or model, plan, walk thru activities, etc.
McKinney Vento Act
Monday's Faculty Meeting
Visit from Mrs. Michelle Taylor-Brown- Rescheduled
Even though students have to stay inside for recess some days, we appreciate the way they are still being given opportunities to get exercise and get their wiggles out. Please continue to ensure that everyone has a chance to get their blood pumping daily. As you know, it helps with behavior!
Teacher Shout Out!
Rookie Teacher Ms. Amber McQueen provided an agenda for a parent conference today and it was a super example of proactivity! On her agenda she had the following: 1. Strengths 2. Areas of Concern
3. Strategies that she has tried at school 4. Strategies that the parents have tried at home. 5. A specific issue that needed attention (She listed this last so that the parent knew it would be discussed but it was not going to dominate the entire conference and defeat the purpose which was to discuss the student’s progress). By discussing the child’s specific strengths at the beginning, the parent was able to see that Ms. McQueen cares deeply for her child. Ms. McQueen had the student’s leadership binder, MAP scores, and DRA scores to show the parent her current data. Way to be prepared Ms. McQueen!!
Food for Thought!
Ask me how I was a LEADER at Killian Elementary Stickers
1. KNN news students: Please continue to enter names. We are trying to celebrate two students each day. Ideally, we would like to have one from the upper grades and one from the lower grades. That document is located in Murray emails. It is called KNN News spotlight form.
2. Starting Feb. 1st, we will be asking teachers to start giving out the stickers also. Each teacher will be given a bag with 10 stickers in it. Please give them to 2 to 3 students a month starting Feb.1, 2016 and ending June 3, 2016. Give them out when you see a student going above and beyond as a leader in our building. (Not just kids who walk in the hall nicely.)
3. When you see a student with a sticker, please commend them. Even if you don’t know them. :)
4. If a student in your homeroom class receives a sticker from you or another teacher, please mention it in your classroom newsletter.
5. We will be using the bulletin board outside Murray/Gore’s office to display the names. When student is awarded a sticker during the school day, please email their name to Mrs. Murray (grades K-2) or Ms. Gore (grades 3-5). We will add their name to the list. All of the names will be read weekly on the KNN news.
6. We will also be charting the progress of each grade level on our bulletin board so we can all see the leaders in each grade level.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please let your lighthouse team member know.
A Closer Look
Monday, Feb. 1
Full Faculty Meeting- Reading Focus- 3:30-4:30 PM
Tuesday, Feb. 2
Groundhog Day- Shadowing
Wednesday, Feb. 3
STEAM Advisory Team Meeting- 3:30-4:30 PM
Thursday, Feb. 4
Parent Academy- 7:15-8:15 AM
Bus Evacuation Drills
Friday, Feb. 5
Sweetheart Breakfast 7:30 AM
Media Rotation Week
Monday, Feb. 8
PTO Board Meeting- 5:00-6:00 PM
Tuesday, Feb 9
New to Killian Meeting- 3:30-4:30 PM
Wednesday, Feb. 10
Lighthouse Team Meeting- 3:30-4:30 PM
Thursday, Feb. 11
Friday, Feb. 12
1/2 Day Early Dismissal