Board Meeting Summary
April 19th, 2023
President Snider called the Regular meeting to order at 6:30 pm. After roll call, the Board approved the April 19th, 2023 agenda. The BOE approved the consent agenda consisting of the minutes from the March meeting, bills and payroll.
During Board input, bookkeeper Hartman provided economic interest statements for members. Members were asked to review, sign, and turn the statements back in. Upcoming BOE dates were shared including seating of the new BOE on April 26th, Graduation on May 21st, BOE training on May 23rd, in addition to the regular meetings on May 17th and June 28th.
The BOE recognized guests Joe and Teresa Hammer, and Jeremy and Casey Flikkema and public comments were allowed. Casey Flikkema addressed the BOE. She expressed concern that the BOE is not sharing information as some other district websites show and that when she contacts the BOE to share concerns they "pass" her to someone else. Mrs. Flikkema also spoke against the staff childcare proposal stating that she feels there are too many unknowns with the proposal including costs, use of the classroom without rent and that while childcare costs have risen, it is the parent responsibility and not the districts to provide another benefit.
Information regarding Old Business, New Business, and the Superintendent Report is listed below.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:08 pm.
- approved the 2024-2025 school calendar. Member Cassens commented that she received questions on Good Friday vs Easter Monday. Dr. Kashner suggested that we survey parents and the committee to determine which day is better for future years.
- approved the 2023-2024 consolidated district plan for state grants.
- approved the staff day care proposal for the 2023-2024 school year. In this plan, staff with children that have already qualified for Carroll County PreK would have the ability to pay to have childcare services the other half of the day at the elementary school. Dr. Kashner stated that the 1/4 of this PreK classroom would be sitting empty next year and this would be a way to provide an at cost benefit to staff. Dr. Kashner stated that in a staff survey he sent, he had nine projected students of staff that would be interested in this proposal. He stated that if it is passed, his next steps would be to reach out to these families to secure commitments and cost sheets. Dr. Kashner shared that he is hoping to know by May 1st if there is enough interest in sustaining this program. After a lengthy discussion it went to a vote.
- approved setting a budget amendment hearing date of June 28th, 2023.
- approved student accident insurance from Clark Carroll Agency.
- approved health insurance from Blue Cross Blue Shield and dental, vision, and life insurance from Principal. Dr. Kashner shared that the original quote was a 24% increase on health insurance premiums, but through additional leg work, overall premiums increased by less than 6%. Dr. Kashner thanked Mrs. Hartman and the insurance committee for their work throughout the process. Switching carriers on the supplemental plans allows for the same coverage and plans, but now includes orthodontic care.
- approved hiring Teresa Hammer Photography as the school photography provider effective with the 2023-2024 school year. Dr. Kashner shared that he met with Mrs. Hammer and was impressed with her pricing, customer service possibilities and quality of her work. Mrs. Hammer spoke and shared her potential pricing for school photos and it is in line with past prices. Dr. Kashner commented that he is happy to have a local option.
- approved field trips
- Dr. Kashner shared the final 2023 Tax Computation report. He commented that EAV rose higher than anticipated and shared that the overall tax rate will decrease again, this time to 3.98. He commented that for comparison purposes the tax rate was 4.325 four years ago.
- Dr. Kashner recognized outgoing board members Karl Henze, Diann Cassens, and Brian Heldt. Between the three there were over 36 years of dedicated service to Eastland!
Personnel and Job Vacancies
The following personnel options were approved:
- Paige Waller - PT Custodian
- Chelsea Hasken - JH Girls Basketball Coach
- Karin Myre - Cheerleading Coach
- Tracy Siegner - Afterschool Homebound Tutor
- Kaden Henze - JV Girls Basketball Coach
- Rhonda Wade - Long Term Substitute (Special Education)
- Kennedy Burkholder - Student Summer Worker
- Peyton Clouse - Summer Worker
- Vickie Meinsma - Custodian
- Summer School Hires: Mindy Hayden, Karin Myre, Beth Wilkinson, Keta Foltz, Courtney Carroll, Rachel Sneek, Renea Noordhoff, Tiffany Horbaczewski, Robyn Joens, Rebecca Green, Carrie Smith, Jessica Hinrichs, Rachel Todd, and Jared McNutt
- Tyler Oakley - EPC Football Coach
- Shawna Reynolds - Instructional Aide effective end of school year
- Logan Gibbs - Special Education Teacher effective May 5th
- Tony Diehl - Custodian effective June 2nd
- Zachary Hook - JH Basketball Coach
- Summer Worker (Technology)
- Instructional Aide
- Special Education Teacher
- EPC Assistant Football Coach