What is Protein?
are large, complex molecules that play many critical roles in the body. They do most of the work in cells and are required for the structure, function, and regulation of the body's tissues and organs.
The Major Sources of Protein
Eggs, Beans, Pork Tenderloin, Soy.
What happens when you run out of Proteins.
Your muscles will degrade.
Interesting Facts about Proteins
- Protein is in each of the trillions of cells in the human body. There could be no life without protein. The only other substance more plentiful in the body is water. Approximately 18-20% of the body is protein by weight.m
- The word “protein” is from the Greek word proteios, which means “primary” or “holding the first place.” The term was first used in 1883.d
- In 2010, 20-year-old athlete Ben Pearson tried to increase his protein intake to boost muscle development. However, no one knew he had a rare genetic disorder that prevented his body from breaking down protein. The increased protein intake increased ammonia levels in his blood that caused brain swelling and death.a
- Hair is made up of a protein called keratin, which forms a helical shape. This protein has sulfur bonds, and the more sulfur links it has, the curlier a person’s hair will be.g
- Protein, like carbohydrates and fat, is a macronutrient. Macronutrients are nutrients that provide calories or energy. Protein and carbohydrates each provide 4 calories per gram. Fat provides 9 calories per gram. The only other substance that provides calories is alcohol. However, alcohol is not considered a macronutrient because humans do not need it to survive.b
P rotein is a nutrient that you need in your body
R oasted soybeans have the most protein, with 39.6 grams of protein per 100-gram serving.
O f all the cheeses, low-sodium Parmesan cheese has the most protein, with 41.6 grams per 100-gram serving.d
- T he fish with the most protein is the Yellowfin Tuna
- E rrors in protein function can cause diseases such as Alzheimer’s and cancer
- I n the body proteins come in many shapes and sizes
- N uetrient provide calories and energy