Alayna Miranda B4
What is it?
Symptoms and Effects
- Improperly formed head seen on ultrasound or when born
- Brain isn't fully developed
- Delayed milestones or not reached
- Based on how severe, may not feel pain or touch
- May be blind and/or deaf
- May be in vegetative state
- May not respond
- May not cry or react to light, sound, or touch
How does it occurs and can it be prevented?
- 1 in 1,000 pregnancies
- Unknown cause
- May be genetic defect
- May be caused by teratogen
- May be caused by lack of folic acid
- Higher rate in Hispanics
Due to lack of known cause, there is no way to prevent it.
How is it detected and treated?
If not detected during pregnancy, it's very obvious if the newborn has it when looked at.
There is no treatment for anencephaly due to the fact that parts of the brain and skull are missing.