January 10, 2016
A Message from Jeff and Yolanda
Jeff Rexford, Bob Waller and current students are making the rounds to all of the middle schools to talk with 8th graders about the opportunities that exist for students that come through our high school. By the end of the recruitment process, we will have had access to approximately 3,000 8th grade students who are thinking about their futures. Many of the students who are considering LWTHS come through our doors on tours. We have already been to Marco Island Charter and East Naples Middle School. This week we will be at Pine Ridge Middle School and Cypress Palm Middle School and more to follow after that. On time applications are due by March 15. The applications can be found on the high school website or can be picked up in the high school front office. Applicants are notified of their standing by April 16th.
Recruitment continues to be a joint effort. Upcoming events include 5th grade tours, 10th graders coming through the tech areas to choose their top three choices, and weekly after school tours for incoming high school students as well as adult students and community members. It is important to make sure your areas are kept clean and our schools are well represented. Thank you for all that you do to continue to promote LWTC/LWTHS!
Web on Wednesday is scheduled for Wed, Jan 13th at either 2:00 or 2:35pm in 2-233. This session is on Sketchnoting - a personal and visual way to recreate and/or share content. While it can certainly be done free-hand, the use of an app called PAPER is a great way to keep a running record, as well as tap into the digital focus that technology can bring. Please bring your charged iPad and a stylus (optional).
Ever need to make conference calls? Want to make them free and add video as well? Try FreeConferenceCall - I haven’t tried it but it comes highly recommended. You could use to interact with other educators, connecting with experts in the field, or collaborating with another classroom.
The growth mindset is gaining attention again as we try to prepare our students for their futures. Check out this video - while it is focused on K-12 students, it has transferability to adults (both students and teachers...and parents!). Carol Dweck also has a couple of TED talks if you want more video information on the fixed vs growth mindset, just Google her name.
- 2015 Graduation Rates were released last week. We are proud to have the highest graduation rate in Collier County for the 3rd year in a row!! We had a 97.5% four year graduation rate. The four year graduation rate includes only students who graduate with a standard diploma. A student who graduates with a special diploma or GED diploma counts against the graduation percentage. Congratulations for all that you do to encourage and support our students!
- Greater Naples Leadership will be on campus on Wednesday, January 13th. They will be taking a tour of the campus. Greater Naples Leadership is group of retired individuals spend a whole year learning firsthand about the issues and needs in Collier County and then are encouraged to use their skills in bettering our community.
- Adult Education staff will be having their Winter semester training on Monday, 1/11 at 5:00 p.m.
- A vote will be held for the School Recognition Funds "A+" monies for high school staff on Tuesday. Please stop down to the office during the day to see Laurie and cast your ballot. This vote is not an indication that we are an "A" school for last year because grades have still not been provided by FLDOE.
- Religious Freedom Day is being held on Friday, January 15th. There are a few religious organizations that take part in it at the various high schools around Collier County. There will be pamphlets, bibles, and other free literature dropped off at 10:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m. on Friday in Mustang Alley.
- PLT reflections are due January 31st
- Don't forget to nominate a staff member for the month of January by clicking on the Padlet link . Type the name of the nominated staff member in the "Title" portion of the Padlet post and your reasoning in the body of the post. Also you can nominate by grade level a student for the month of December by clicking the appropriate link below. Follow the same protocol of putting the student name as the title and reason for nominating in the body of the posting.
9th grade Link:
10th grade Link:
11th grade Link:
12th grade Link:
Spotlight on LWTHS Staff Member
Laurie Lattarulo is a valued secretary at LWTHS, and came to Florida from Pennsylvania. Although she loves her job and considers her co-workers to be her family, her heart is still in the Pennsylvania Amish Country! Laurie has three children and one thing the whole family has in common is a lot of pets and a love of Disney! Laurie has three cats and two dogs and an annual pass to Disney! Look at the ever changing antenna on her walkie-talkie and you will see the Disney mania! As a former scary movie avoider, she has now become addicted to them! She is most proud of her three great kids and strong marriage of 17 years. We hope this very kind and sensitive lady finds her tranquil and simpler way of life!
Spotlight on LWTC Staff Member
Carolyn Casserly has many talents and abilities and has had several different jobs at LWTC. Currently she is the proctor of our testing center and enjoys supporting students in this initial exposure to our school. Even when they are anxious, she reassures them of their potential success. You probably have seen her creative work when she decorates the school with balloons for all special events. Carolyn lived in Chicago for many years, but was drawn to Naples because of the warm weather. Outside of school she has a passion for playing tennis and travel. She particularly enjoys Canada because of the occasional cold weather. Happy and positive, Carolyn is well liked by her co-workers!
- All our staff for a great week. New and returning students were welcomed.
- Jeannette Kostka and Carolyn Casserly for taking a group of students to Port Charlotte to take a dental assisting exam.
- To Lynne Bruce for promoting the Champions for Learning College and Career Preparation program to our juniors. Thirty-four LWTHS students were selected into the program!
- The entire 9th grade team for supporting the quarter 2 goal. A record setting 41 students met the goal and will head to Olive Garden to celebrate on January 22nd.
- Pat Metcalf for promoting and organizing our after school ELA program to prepare our 9th and 10th grade students to pass the FSA test.
- Lindsey Simmons and Bruce Rutila for helping out in the office during their planning periods.
- Neil Fehr, Lisa Perez and Pat Metcalf for helping out with midterm/final exam make-up on Monday.