The Friday Flyer
Boone Meadow Elementary
Global School Play Day - February 6, 2019
We're so excited!
Global School Play Day - A day dedicated to bringing awareness to the importance of unstructured play for the healthy development of a child.
On Wednesday, February 6th, Boone Meadow students and staff will participate in Global School Play Day. Internationally, more than 400,000 children from more than 60 countries will participate on this day.
- Kids PLAY! (and possibly adults too)
- No electronic devices. Instead, kids play with cards, board games, construction items, and art materials. They write and perform plays, play with puppets, pretend play, engage in physical activity. They build with kinetic sets, cardboard, glue, construction paper, and Legos. They solve puzzles, play social games (charades, Pictionary, etc...), build with Lincoln Logs, swing jump ropes, color with markers, paint, chalk, etc... The list goes on and on.
- Through all of this, children are communicating, thinking, planning, rehearsing, problem-solving, navigating discourse, being creative, collaborating, and exercising. They are engineers, scientists, learners, performers, musicians, artists, and friends.
This day will provide our staff the opportunity to:
- observe and interact with students as they engage in authentic social exchanges,
- use this time to keenly study how your children navigate peer relationships,
- expand our understanding of your child as a person that has academic, social, and emotional aspects of their well-being,
- witness how they interact, show empathy, assist one another, problem-solve, and create,
- glean more insight and information in order to provide more feedback to you (parents/guardians) that we are often unable to provide from our typical school day programming.
For good reason, we are excited!
More information to come soon.
Congratulations to Our 2018-19 Yearbook Cover Artists!
E-Day Information & Reminders!
Here's hoping you are thawed out by the time you receive this Snowy Friday! Thank you for ensuring your children were successful with the two E-Days this week!
Here are a few reminders in regards to attendance, completion of the E-Days and lab availability:
- Attendance for these days of school will be tracked based on completion of the E-Day. In other words, students are counted "present" for the day once assignments are completed. Otherwise, it does count as an absence from school.
- Students have one full week to complete the second E-Day. The assignments do NOT need to be completed by end of day, Jan 31st. Rather, assignments for this E-Learning day are due by the end of school on February 7th. Teachers will monitor completion.
- Please note our lab time changes: If you do not have access to a computer, experience technical difficulties, or have multiple children at home competing over an available device, the computer lab at Boone Meadow will be open after school on Friday (2/1/19), Monday, (2/4/19) and Tuesday (2/5/19) until 3:45 PM. For your child and family to utilize this option, you need to contact the front office @ 873-2226 to make arrangements. We will have BME staff available to assist students during those windows of time. Please send a note to your child's teacher so they are aware of the transportation changes on the day(s) your child stays to utilize the lab.
- In addition, computer labs will be open at Eagle Elementary and Stonegate Elementary this Saturday (2/2/19) from 9:00-2:00. Parents must register in advance and indicate which location will be utilized. https://dan395.typeform.com/to/QgWq8G.
Once again, thank you for your flexibility and support. Please contact us should you have any questions.
Wellness Update from Mr. Stephens
January has proven to be a bit of a crazy start to the new year, but we have been engaged in some awesome experiences in our Wellness classes! Students participated in the 2019 “Wellness Winter Olympics,” and some of the events included “Plank Curling”, “Scarf Ice Skating”, and “Scooter Ice Hockey”!
Yearbook Pictures/Club Photos will be taken on Thursday, February 7th!
Upcoming Events & Important Info
6th - Global School Play Day
7th - Yearbook Candid Photo's
13th - PTO Meeting 6:00pm
14th - Valentine's Day Parties
18th - Presidents Day (No School)
19th -Teacher Professional Development Day (No School)
21st - 1st Grade Field Trip to NIFS
22nd-24th - 1st Grade (and some 2nd graders) OLSAT testing
18th-22nd Book Fair
21st - Wellness Night 6:00-7:30pm
22nd - PTO Boone Meadow Mixer
26th - Kindergarten Round-Up (Pre-registration info will be available in mid-February)
29th - April 7 - Spring Break
Valentine's Day Information
We look forward to celebrating Valentine's Day with our students at their classroom parties on Thursday, February 14th. This is a wonderful opportunity for us to emphasize the Lifelines of friendship and kindness with all of our students.
As you are preparing Valentine cards to share with classmates, please prepare cards void of candy. Due to many students with food sensitivities and allergies, we will be unable to distribute candy. We appreciate your cooperation as our main goal is to keep everyone safe.
If you elect to purchase cards that have contain something extra attached to them, please ensure they are inedible. This could include pencils, erasers, stickers, etc. Thank you for ensuring that all students can have a safe and fun celebration.
Pre-registration of volunteers is needed. Please find the link below to do so.
All visitors and volunteers are required to have a background check, and need to pre-register. Please follow these directions for pre-registration:
Page 1: Select the green “Next Step” button.
Page 2: Simply enter your name and birthday when prompted. When it asks for "Building" select Boone Meadow Elementary. Select the green “Next Step” button.
Page 3: When prompted for “Person Visiting” use the student’s name, then type “Valentine Parties” when it asks for your reason for visit.
It will then ask for the date of the visit. Please use the date of the actual event.
Disregard the “If you’d like to notify anyone portion…” on this page and hit Next Step.
Page 4: Hit the green “Complete Request” button and you are done!
Contact Mrs. Kiel at x14995 if you have any questions regarding pre-registration.
Texts from SchoolMessenger
From time to time Boone Meadow uses SchoolMessenger to send a text to all of the families. If you haven't been receiving texts from us, you may need to opt-in by sending YES to the SchoolMessenger short code of 68453. Contact Beth Kiel in the front office if you have any questions!
Last Day of School is now May 28, 2019
Textbook Rental Fees
Elementary fee payments for the 2018-19 school year were due in September.
Didn’t receive your statement? Good news, as textbook rental fee statements can now be viewed in PowerSchool!
- Simply log in to your PowerSchool parent account or your student’s PowerSchool account, and click on the BALANCE tab on the left side of the screen. You will see your student’s itemized statement, payments made, and current account balance.
- NEW – for a flat fee of $3.80 per transaction, save time and the hassle of writing/mailing a check and make your payment online via SchoolPay.
For answers to Frequently Asked Questions regarding Textbook Rental, please visit
Volunteers and Visitor Background Checks
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VOLUNTEERS
We value partnerships with our families and welcome parents and guardians to serve as volunteers in our schools. Each ZCS building offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities.
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Out of Town/Overnight Chaperones
- Volunteer Coaches
- Classroom Helpers (PTO parties/room parents)
- Library Helpers
- After Prom Workers
- Field Day/Jog-A-Thon Volunteers
- Book Fair Sales/Athletic Ticket Sales
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to sign in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee* for the full background check which will expire after 5 years. The link to apply for the full background check can be accessed on the Volunteers/BRAVO link on the ZCS main webpage. For more information, contact the Volunteer/BRAVO Coordinator.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VISITORS
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times.
- Lunch Guests
- Classroom Guest Speakers
- Classroom Special Events (Grandparent Day/Famous Hoosiers/etc.)
- Parent/Teacher Conferences
We ask that all visitors schedule an appointment to meet with teachers, counselors, administrators and all other staff members so that we may best serve everyone. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.
*ZCS thanks all volunteers for generous support of our youth and schools. Thank you, too, for supporting assurance of student and staff safety by completing and paying for a volunteer background check.