Sunday, October 25, 2020
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
A few important reminders:
Daylight Savings Ends on November 1st at 2 am - Next weekend, our clocks 'fall back' and we gain an hour of time! Please be sure to reset your clocks prior to Monday, November 2nd!
Monday, November 2nd is a regularly scheduled school day - Monday, November 2nd was originally a school holiday, but that date was reallocated to Thursday, October 1st as we prepared to transition to in person learning. We DO have school on Monday, November 2nd!
Food Service Meal Bags - Every week, we get a few more folks who are expressing interest in district's food service program. Our district's food service team is pleased to offer free meal bags to ANY student who is an in person or interCONNECT learner.
- If you are an in person learner, meal bags are distributed on Tuesdays and Fridays at dismissal. The meal bags include breakfast and lunch for every day of the week. To sign up, click this link and fill out this form.
- If you are an interCONNECT learner, meal bag distribution occur once a week at Glen Edwards Middle School. Meals are distributed on Wednesdays from 1-2pm. To sign up, click this link and fill out this form.
Halloween is coming!
We recognize that not all of our families celebrate Halloween, but for those who do, we encourage you to celebrate this season in ways that are socially responsible and fun!
Our PTC is hosting a pumpkin carving contest (with prizes!). The deadline for photos has been extended to Wednesday, 10/28. See the flier for details!
At school, we are going to host a costume dress up day on Friday, 10/30. However, there are some 'rules' that all of our staff and students must abide by to keep it safe for everyone:
- staff and students cannot bring treats, goody bags or items to share with their classmates
- costumes are encouraged as long as they meet our dress code (page 11 here) - please be thoughtful about not wearing overly scary costumes - a reminder that we have kiddos on campus as young as 4 years old!
- COVID protection face coverings (masks) are required
- full face masks (think Iron Man masks) are not appropriate for school, and students will be asked to remove them and wear a COVID protection mask instead
- face makeup and crazy hair is also okay on this special day
- students must be able to use the restroom independently while in their costume
- if you prefer not to wear a costume, feel free to black, orange, purple, etc...!
This Week's Most Important Thing - Picture Day!
Our Fall Picture Day is scheduled for November 3rd & 4th 2020!
Typically we photograph 700 students in 3 hours. This year, we are going to do 150 one day and 150 the next day, we will bring students to the photograph area in small groups of 5 or so, and we plan to shoot outside (weather permitting). Social distancing will be maintained the entire time, and our photographers will be masked and will maintain 6 ft. social distance at all times. We'll invite our at home learners to photograph at school in the afternoons or you can make an appointment to photograph at the Bill Smith studios if you prefer.
- during the school day: in person learners from Cassidy, Cook, Risucci, Giannini, Warren, Scarbrough, Swanson, Wetzstein, Crook
- from 1-2:30 pm: Distance Learners with Last Names A-L; contact Bill Smith Photography at (916)749-1026 to schedule an appointment
- during the school day: in person learners from Coleman, Shye/Perez, Fleshman, Reynolds, Sliepen, Wright, Beatty, Shelton, Stuckey
- from 1-2:30 pm: Distance Learners with Last Names M-Z; contact Bill Smith Photography at (916)749-1026 to schedule an appointment
To pre-order pictures,
If you are looking for ways to relax before school, during a break, or after school, check out our virtual calming corner and other mindfulness resources plus helpful tips for parents to support their child's anxiety - click here!
Non-School Days & District Calendar Links
NON-SCHOOL DAYS or SPECIAL DAYS
- CANCELLED - Mon., 11/2: Staff Work Day / WE WILL HAVE SCHOOL on 11/2
- Wed., 11/11: Veteran's Day / no school
- Mon., 11/16-Fri., 11/20: Conference Week (watch for an email from your teacher in late October/early November!)
- Mon., 11/23-Fri., 11/27: Thanksgiving Break / no school
- Mon., 12/21-Mon., 1/4: Winter Break / no school
- Mon., 1/18: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day / no school
- Fri., 2/12-Mon., 2/15: Mini February Break / no school
- Fri., 3/26: Public Safety (PS) Day*
- Mon., 3/29-Fri., 4/2: Spring Break / no school
- Mon., 4/5: Public Safety (PS) Day*
- Mon., 5/31: Memorial Day / no school
- Fri., 6/11: Last Day of School
*Fri., 3/26 and Mon., 4/5 are Public Safety (PS) Days - PS days are non student and non teacher word days unless they are needed as make-up days for prior Public Safety closures (smoke, power outages, etc...)
Stay in Touch!
- Check our our website and our community calendar of activities; access PeachJar (our flier hub) directly here!
- Download our free app and get notifications on your phone
- Follow us on Social Media (links above), including Instagram at @lcescolts
- Check us out on YouTube at http://youtube.com/c/JenniferHladunLCES