Notes from Dr. Irvin
Your WGHS Weekly eNews for October 24
Hello Parents and Guardians,
I have had the recent honor of participating in some senior recognition in our athletic programs--always a bittersweet event. While it is endearing to hear what the particular program has meant to students and families, it is a reminder of the finite time we have with all of our seniors and our hopes for them. I feel the urgency of our work with the limited window we share. We hope they are experiencing impactful learning and mentoring this year that will put them on a trajectory to have lives of service and purpose.
*2019-20 School Calendar Days & Possible Changes*
Now that cooler temperatures are upon us, we acknowledge the possibility of inclement weather days. This year, we have four (4) inclement weather days built in our high school calendar. We have also designed a plan in the event of extra inclement weather days that we are sharing with you.
The state of Missouri now requires that district submit a plan of 1,080 attendance hours each year (includes minimum of 1,044 hours of instruction and 36 hours of inclement weather plans). This year, with our late-start schedule, students will attend 1069.13 hours, including four built-in inclement weather days. To ensure that we meet the 1,080 required attendance hours, we have provided the state of Missouri with a school calendar that includes an articulated plan in the event of additional inclement weather days beyond the four we have built in. After four snow days, our amended calendar will be as follows:
5th Inclement Weather Day
May 19 and 20 shall be converted to full attendance days; final exams will take place on May 20 in the morning, and regular instruction in the afternoon.
6th Inclement Weather Day
May 21 shall be converted to a full attendance day; final exams will take place in the morning, and regular instruction in the afternoon. May 22 shall become a half-day of finals.
The potential of a revised school year will NOT affect seniors and early check-out.
It will only be necessary to amend our school calendar with any of the above recommendations IF we miss more than four days of school due to inclement weather. This revision will ensure that the district calendar is in accordance with state requirements.
A Peek at the Week Ahead
- October 24-26: Fall Musical: Chicago, 7 p.m., Auditorium
- October 26: ACT Testing
- October 28: Day 5 (NOT A LATE-START DAY!)
- October 30: Senior Panoramic, 3rd hour
- October 31: End of Progress Period
- November 1: NO SCHOOL; PD Day
2019-20 Late-Start Days
- Congratulations to Daeja Anderson, Greta Eames, and Kenna Williams and their designs for being accepted to participate in the Lindenwood University Fall 2019 High School Fashion Show, on December 6, 2019!
- Congratulations to Patrick Lee and Ethan Weihl for completing Missouri Boys State this past year!
- Thanks to everyone who participated in the Ivory Crockett Run for Webster and band mattress sale! We have such amazing support from our community.
- Congratulations to our fall sports teams for wrapping up another great season! Good luck as they move on to districts and sectionals.
Senior Parents: Everything you need to know about graduation and your child's senior year can be found here.
Statesmen Showcase Coming Soon!
To show our appreciation...
The students and staff welcome the entire Webster Groves School District community to engage in interactive activities, explore our programs and spaces, and imagine thriving in the
Sunday, November 3
1 - 3 p.m.
Webster Groves High School
School Board Seeks Applicants to Fill Vacancy
The Board of Education is seeking applicants who would like to serve on the board until an election can be held in April to fill the unexpired term of Dr. Arnold Stricker, who has resigned. The board is asking interested persons to submit a cover letter and resume. You can find details at this link.
Shop at Our Spirit Store and Support Funding for Scholarships!
The Webster Groves Spirit Wear Store is open to all Students, Staff, Parents and Community Members. Shop the Spirit Store for all your Webster Groves Apparel and Accessories.
Spirit Store Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday: 7:30 am – 10:00 am
Late Start Monday: 8:30 am – 10:00 am
All Spirit Wear Apparel and Accessories are also available online at the Parents Club website.
Orders placed online will be available for pick up at the WGHS Front Office.
(for a fee all items can be shipped to your home)
WGHS Front Office Hours: 7:30 am – 3:00 pm
You can also find Spirit Wear at our “Pop-Up” Shops at many school sponsored events.
Thanks for your support!
WGSD Parent Safety Information Night
What: The Webster Groves School District will provide families with information about district safety initiatives, including:
- WGSD School Resource Officers will present an overview of 4E (intruder) training that we conduct with district staff and preview an elementary student presentation
- WGSD Superintendent Dr. John Simpson will provide updates on Prop E safety, accessibility, and space measures
When: Wednesday, October 30th at 7:00
Where: Steger Auditorium
701 N. Rock Hill Road