Guadalupe M, Daniela H, Dastany L
Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is a condition in which your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough of certain important hormones.Women, especially those older than age 60, are more likely to have hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism upsets the normal balance of chemical reactions in your body.
· Increased sensitivity to cold
· Dry skin
· Weight gain
· Puffy face
· Muscle weakness
· Elevated blood cholesterol level
· Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
· Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
· Thinning hair
· Slowed heart rate
- Treatment consists of thyroid hormone replacement.