The Belt of Truth
Welcome to week #1 of Home-made JAM!
This week we are focusing on two songs. The first one reminds us we can Stand Strong because Jesus is always with us. The second one reminds us that because of Jesus and the armor God gives to us I Will Not be Afraid.
Take some time to learn these songs and sing them with your kids!
Craft - Belt of Truth
- “Truth Cards” handout
- hole punch
Talk About Being Sad
When something is hurting our hearts, the truth about God and His love can help us. Today we'll make something that helps us remember the truth when our hearts are hurting.
• Tell me about a time you felt sad.
When we feel sad, we can remember the truth that Jesus loves us, and that can help us feel better. Color the sad face and decorate the person to look like you.
Talk About Being Scared
Sometimes we feel scared.
• Tell me about a time you felt scared.
When we feel scared, we can remember the truth that Jesus is always with us, and that can help us feel better. Color the scared face and decorate the person to look like you.
Talk About Being Mad
Sometimes we get mad.
• Tell me about a time you got mad.
When we feel angry, we can remember the truth that Jesus is there to help us make good choices, even when we’re mad. Color the angry face and decorate the person to look like you.
After you have finished coloring, thread the yarn through the holes on both pieces so the scared face and “Jesus is with me!” end up side by side. Help kids tie the “belts” loosely around their waists.
When we feel sad or scared or mad, God wants us to remember how much He loves us. Our belts can help us remember God’s truth. That can help us feel better! Wear them this week as a reminder!
Game - Puzzle Race
- puzzles with approximately 25 pieces (1 for each team)
- tables or hard surfaces (1 space for each team)
- upbeat music (optional)
- music player (optional)
Race to Put a Puzzle Together
Let’s have a puzzle race! You’ll work with a team to relay puzzle pieces and put them together on the other side of the room. The first team to finish its puzzle wins!
- Form teams and spread out across one side of your playing area.
- Give each team a puzzle in its box, and have them open the box and place it on the floor near them.
- Set up tables or hard surfaces directly across the room from each team.
- On “go,” team members will take turns grabbing a puzzle piece from the box and running across the room to place it on their team’s table, then running back to high-five the next team member who’ll run another piece to the table, and so on.
- As pieces collect at the other side of the room, team members can assemble the puzzle; however, they can’t stand by their table for more than 10 seconds.
- The first team to assemble its puzzle wins.
- If you’d like, play upbeat music as kids play.
Talk About It
• How is putting together the puzzles in our game like figuring out what’s true about God?
• What are some truths about God that you’ve learned?
We fight evil with truth! But, sometimes the truth isn’t always clear right away. We could spend our entire life learning new truths about God, because He’s so big. The more truth we know, the stronger our belts get and the better we can fight evil with truth.
Wrap it Up - Truth & Lies
Fight Evil With TruthListen to some of the lies you might hear outside of the church. As someone reads each of the lies, everyone else should respond, “We’ll fight that lie with truth.”
- Some people may say, “God isn’t real.”
- Some people may say, “God couldn’t possibly love you.”
- Some people may say, “Jesus is just one way to heaven.”
- Some people may say, “Heaven and hell aren’t even real—this life is all there is.”
- Some people may say, “God can’t be good, or he wouldn’t let bad things happen.”
- Some people may say, “Anyone who believes in Jesus is dumb.”
Pray: Jesus, help us wear our belts of truth so we can fight evil with Your truth. In Your name, amen.