VO News You Can Use
Dr. O's Weekly Parent Newsletter
NCSD Mission Statement
Developing each student's potential with a world class education.
September 14, 2020
Dear Village Oaks Families,
The first week of school was fantastic! Students and staff were excited to meet each other, teachers focused on creating safe learning communities in their rooms and remotely, and we began establishing rules/expectations to guide students to success. Our Curriculum Night dates are now set and I encourage all parents to mark their calendars for this important event so you can learn more about our teachers, school routines, and the curriculum in each grade level (see dates below). Please enjoy the images below from the first week of school!
A few important updates:
- In the near future we will begin showing morning announcements for hybrid and virtual students to watch at the start of the day. Each Friday we will showcase our student leaders at the end of the announcements with a montage of images from the previous week. Each week we're asking parents to send pictures of their children working virtually from home to Mrs. Katy Golden, our Media Specialist, at Katy.firstname.lastname@example.org so we can celebrate their hard work!
- For families in need of a device or need to exchange a defective device (defective upon deployment; not due to student negligence) please report to the auditorium of Novi High School, this Wednesday, September 16th, from 8 am – 4 pm. This is the last/final day of deployment.
- Wednesday, Sept. 16th we will have a half day of school for students due to district professional development. The school day will be from 9:00am-12:30pm.
- Wednesday, Sept. 16th we will also do a Virtual Student's School Supplies Pick-up for 4th, 3rd, and 2nd grade students.
- We ask that all community members please stay off the playground and not walk the trail around our soccer field until 6:00pm because of CARE. Questions about our CARE program (after/before school daycare) can be directed to Holly Bengle. Holly can be reached at email@example.com or (248) 449-1307.
We are still in need of noon aides to help supervise our lunches. This is a paid position. For more information, please contact Melissa Kruger at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 248-996-7215
Images from our First Week!
Enjoy a few pictures from our first week of school!
2020-2021 Curriculum Nights
Please mark the following dates on your calendars:
Kindergarten: Tuesday, Sept. 29th at 6:00pm
First Grade: Wednesday, Oct. 7th at 6:30pm
Second Grade: Wednesday, Sept. 23rd at 5:30pm
Third Grade: Monday, Sept. 28th at 6:00pm
Fourth Grade: Thursday, Oct. 1st at 6:00pm
Specials: Wednesday, Oct. 7th at 7:30pm
Virtual Student's School Supplies Pick-up Dates
2nd, 3rd & 4th GradeWednesday, September 16th from 1:00-4:00 in the VO cafeteria
Kindergarten & 1st Grade
Wednesday, September 23rd from 1:00-4:00 in the VO Cafeteria
Virtual Fun Run 9/30/2020
$2 charge for second slice of PIZZA
Introducing our new kindergarten teacher, Mr. Paulisin!
I graduated from Detroit Catholic Central in 2010 and from the University of Michigan-Dearborn in 2015 with my Bachelor's Degree in Journalism. I returned to school in 2017 to complete my elementary teaching certification. I've worked in a classroom setting for several years in South Redford and Plymouth-Canton. I was a Title I instructional paraprofessional for 3 years, a summer school Kindergarten teacher for 2 years, a long-term guest 1st grade teacher on 2 occasions, and I completed my student teaching in a 2nd grade classroom last school year. I just got hired here at Village Oaks for the 2020-21 school year and I'm excited to join the VO community!
I enjoy watching and playing sports. Soccer is my favorite, but I love football, hockey, basketball, and baseball. In my spare time, I like to go on walks and runs. I also enjoy traveling up north. I'm looking forward to getting to know all the wonderful people in the Village Oaks community!
Picture Days at VO
Thursday October 8th for Hybrid A students
Friday October 9th for Hybrid B students
Wednesday October 14th for Virtual students-Photographers will be in the gym. Please enter gym from playground. (The rest of the building is deep cleaned on Wednesday.)
Please follow schedule:
10:00-11:00 First Grade
11:00-12:00 2nd Grade
12:00-1:00 3rd Grade
1:00-2:00 4th Grade
(If you have siblings that attend VO, you may come at either time.)
VO Box Tops 2020-2021
Please see the important information below about ways to support VO with Box Tops:
- Receipts from any store with Box Top items are eligible, including Costco and Target.
- Take a picture of your receipt within 14 days of purchase for it to be valid.
- Friends and extended family can also select Village Oaks as their donation school in their app.
- This is an easy and safe way to support Village Oaks and every little bit helps to make a big difference!
Thank you for your continued support!
VO Spirit Wear
HEY PARENTS! Don't forget to add Spirit Wear to your back to school list. Stitch and Scribe has so many options available this year. . Sherpa sweatshirts, t-shirts, masks, lanyards, water bottles and more! Visit their website https://stitchandscribe.com/collections/village-oaks-spirit-wear/Village-Oaks-Spirit-Wear and click the Village Oaks Spirit Wear link at the top. A portion of the sale supports Village Oaks!
ROAR-Responsive Organizational & Academic Return Plan
The most current version of the ROAR plan is listed below and will be updated, as needed, throughout the 2020-2021 school year.
Yearbook Committee Seeking Photos
Do you have some great photos you would love to see in the yearbook?
We are currently seeking first day of school photos and other school related activities including lunch time, outdoor play and in academic activity photos.
Please submit them to the Yearbook Committee e-mail: VOYearbookPTO@gmail.com
Be sure to include a description of the event/activity in the photo including hybrid or virtual, as well as the teacher’s name if appropriate.
We are hiring noon aides!
We are currently looking for more noon aides to help supervise students during lunch and recess when we return to school. This is a paid position, not volunteer. We could use your help whether it's one or more days a week. For more information, please contact Melissa Kruger at email@example.com or by phone at 248-996-7215.
Novi Mental Health Alliance--Parent Empowering Parent Program
The Parent Empowering Parent Program connects parents in need with parents who know. PEP pairs up a parent who has experienced challenges in his or her own parenting to providing support, encouragement, and knowledge, to another parent going through a similar situation. Below are the flyers for program.
Learn more about the Novi Mental Health Alliance by visiting the website at: https://www.novi.k12.mi.us/community/novi-mental-health-alliance
Volunteer and Donation Opportunities
One of the things that makes our building so special is our diverse student population--we have families in our community who come from all over the world! To celebrate our global diversity we have hung flags in our cafeteria that represent many of the countries of our VO families. As a gift from VO retirees we were given flags of the following countries: Israel, India, United Kingdom, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Nigeria, South Korea, China, and USA. Thank you to our parents who have also donated the following flags: Poland, Singapore, Japan, Germany, Finland, Ireland, Nepal, Greece, Pakistan, Uruguay, Ecuador, Portugal, Spain, Central African Republic, South Africa, Wales, Iceland, Australia, Armenia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Russia, Scotland and Yemen. If you would like to purchase a flag of your country of origin or to represent one of the many nationalities of our school please visit Amazon and search for an ANLEY 3x5 flag: VO Flags
Before purchasing and donating the flag to our school’s collection please contact me or one of our secretaries with the flag information so we can make sure that another family has not already ordered the same flag.
Mrs. Cudnohufsky--help needed!
Our music teacher, Mrs. Cudnohufsky, has a volunteer opportunity for parents!
In an effort to engage with our virtual students, she is hoping to send some instrumental items home to them, but she needs help organizing the project and sorting items in to bags to send home ASAP.
Can you help out?
This year NCSD elementary schools will continue our partnership with Playworks to enhance the learning experiences for students throughout the district. Playworks is the leading nonprofit in Michigan and nationally using play to transform schools. A Playworks recess creates a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Please open the attached PDF to meet Coach C!
Parent Pick-up/Parking & Bus Stop Expectations
As you pick-up and drop off your children please be mindful of the following:
- All adults and students are expected to wear their masks during pick up and drop off times.
- Please socially distance yourself from others as you wait to drop off or pick up your child from school.
- Do not park in front of our neighbors' driveways or mailboxes.
- Park in our parking lot and keep your pet in your car.
- For the safety of our students do not walk your children through our bus loop as students are loading/exiting our busses.
- Stay in your car as you drive through our car loop.
- Please do not drop off children before 8:55am. We do not have any supervision outside prior to this time.
- If you arrive late, please walk your child into the office and sign them in. Whenever someone enters the building they will be asked to complete a Covid Health Screener Form.
We ask that you remind your children that VO expectations/rules apply at our bus stops. We expect all of our students to be on their best behavior as they wait for their bus. We appreciate your help.
Thank you for your support!
VO National Blue Ribbon Exemplary School
Village Oaks Elementary
VO school hours: 9:08 am-4:00 pm
Office hours: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Attendance line: 248.449.1301
Office phone number: 248.449.1300