Compass Summer Staff Institute 2014
August 11th - September 3rd, 2014
Excited for You to Join Us!
It is hard to believe that we will see you in a few short days. We hope that you have been enjoying your summer and have found some time to rest, recharge, and relax.
We are thrilled to welcome you to the school building next Monday and to share in this first opening year with each of you. The Summer Institute will be a time to get to know one another, build our school culture, curate an inviting learning environment, and begin to design some curriculum. It will be a great start to our school year.
Below, you will find a link to the working draft of our three-week agenda. More details will be added in the coming days, so it would be a good idea to read over on Sunday evening for the most current version.
In addition to the Summer Institute, we will have a few special events in the evening. Hopefully many of you will be able to make both:
- Wednesday, August 13th: We will have a welcome Barbecue at Michelle's house after our day at Brooklyn Museum. Details are below!
- Tuesday, September 2nd: We will have a family welcome party from 4 PM - 7PM. Families will tour the space, meet all of you, and pick up their uniform T shirts from 4 PM to 5 PM. A family potluck will follow in Fort Greene Park.
As you look over our agenda, please let us know if you have any questions about the schedule. We would be happy to answer them.
Looking forward to starting our work together!
See You Soon,
Michelle, Brooke, and Todd
Things to Keep in Mind When Viewing the Agenda:
- We will be meeting in a number of different places over the course of the next few weeks. Please make sure to check the location of PD each day so we all end up in the same place.
- Most Institute days will run from 8:30 - 4:30 with the exception of the following:
-We will begin at 9 AM on Wednesday, August 13th for VTS at Brooklyn Museum
-We will meet from 8 AM - 2 PM on Friday, August 15th for CPR training
-We will meet from 8 AM - 4 PM on Monday, August 18th to accommodate a pre- opening visit from NYSED that Brooke, Michelle, and Todd are participating in during the afternoon.
- We are currently working with Jaimie Cloud of The Cloud Institute to set the agenda for her time with us from Monday, August 25th to Thursday, August 28th. Over the course of the four days, there will be opportunities for all of you to build your capacity surrounding Education for Sustainability and to collaboratively plan curriculum. We will keep you posted and fill in the agenda once we have solidified the plans.
- We suggest wearing sneakers or another type of supportive shoe on any days that we are taking a neighborhood walking tour.
- On Thursday, August 14th, we will have a yoga class with Compass parent Stephanie Creaturo. Please come with a yoga mat and clothing that is easy to move in. If you don't have a yoga mat, let us know and we can bring you an extra one.
- On the days that we are meeting at the charter center, we recommend that you bring a sweater and/or wear pants because the air conditioner makes the offices very cold.
JOIN US FOR A BARBECUE AFTER OUR DAY AT BROOKLYN MUSEUM!
Wednesday, Aug. 13th, 4-7pm
745 Dean St
Significant Others and children are welcome. Please RSVP by Sunday, August 10th so we can get a total headcount.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.