THE Leadership Academy School News
September 18, 2022
Hello Leadership Academy Parents,
At T.H.E. Leadership Academy, we always ask the question, "What would make a dragon want to wake up, jump out of bed, and run to school?". We want our students to love school and all it has to offer! Students who attend school every day and on time have the best chance at success. Please review the important attendance information below.
We are thrilled about our campout coming up this Friday, September 23. If you have not reserved your space, please complete the flyer that was sent home and turn it in to the office or your child's teacher (you can find a copy below in the campout section).
Families that are confirmed will receive a ticket for entrance with the schedule of events. Don't forget to join us at iHOP on Saturday, September 24 for breakfast.
If you are willing to help at the campout, please sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080E4FAFAD29ABFC1-camp
Watch D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students) - Calling all dads and father figures!
We would love your help and support during the campout. Please wear your T-Shirts and help us monitor events throughout the night! We appreciate you so much!
Thank you PTA! Lunch time games
STEM Lab is open before school!
Art is available in the lab on Friday mornings!
Gates will open at 5PM.
5PM-7PM - Families are welcome to set up their tent and camp site on the playground
5PM - Tacos will be made fresh for purchase by San Luis Rey Mexican Restaurant
5-7 PM - Arts and Crafts Passport around campus brought to you by your teachers
7PM - Wild Wonders Animal Show
8:00 PM - Flashlight Scavenger Hunt around campus
8:30 PM - Movie Under the Stars
10:30 PM - Lights Out!
8:00AM-12PM - Breakfast at iHOP - 15% of proceeds will benefit T.H.E. Leadership Academy
*You can participate in all activities and NOT spend the night if you wish.
**PTA will be selling snacks, drinks and other surprise items so bring some cash
***Flyers will be coming home this week (see below)
$20 per family
$50 to park your RV on the blacktop
Tacos, Churros and Kona Ice will be available at Campout!
September 20: ELAC meeting 8:30AM
September 23: Campout!
September 27: SSC meeting 2:30PM
October 22: Festival of the Arts, Vista Village
October 28: Freaky Friday, School Carnival
October 31: Halloween Parade
November 11: No school, Veteran's Day
November 15-18: Minimum days all week, Parent Conferences
November 21-25: No School, Thanksgiing
iPad Acceptable Use Policy and Cost Replacement Insurance
*Important! The deadline for iPad device insurance is Friday, September 30. Please make sure you have signed the acceptable use policy and paid for your cost replacement insurance.
We are very proud to be an apple distinguished school. As part of our program, we send iPads home (grades 2-5). Please make sure you have completed the acceptable use policy and paid your $20 cost replacement insurance before your child's iPad comes home.
The $20 device insurance protects the iPads for the entire school year so students can bring them home. There are two options to pay.
1. Save time and pay online! Please click HERE to access the acceptable use agreement and pay with your credit card.
2. Click HERE to fill out the acceptable use agreement form. Pay $20 cash in the front office at Back to School Night.
Meet our Librarian - Leona Stinson
HOORAY FOR LIBRARY DAY!
Welcome back to library days. The week for students to start coming to the library is finally here. This Tuesday 9/13 will begin library days at THE LEADERSHIP ACADEMY. Students will be checking out books for fun reading, for reports and class assignments.
I’m so excited to show you the brand new books that have arrived. Our popular Wings Of Fire series is finally complete. We love our dragons!!! We have more Dog Man and other graphic novels. Soon more new books will be arriving from our proceeds from last year's Scholastic Book sales. Thank you parents for your student’s book purchases and our PTA’s hard work and dedication to our school.
We even have some new posters up on the walls of our favorite series, Harry Potter, Amulet, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Big Nate.
Welcome back, I’m ready to help you find your next great book!
Your excited librarian,
Follow us on Social Media!
Running Club is up and RUNNING!!
Every year, our students set goals to run and be healthy. To support this, we have a running club that meets on the track every morning 7:30AM - 8:00AM. Every student has a running card and we track their miles and provide awards throughout the year. There is no need to sign up, just show up! We play music and have a great time. Hope to see you there!
Grade Level T-Shirts and spirit wear
Here are some facts I shared with the students about Coco:
- Coco was born on July 9, 2019
- She is a lab and retriever cross
- She is specifically bred to be a service dog and has a calm and gentle demeanor
- She has been trained since she was a little puppy to know many commands
- Mrs. Morton went through two weeks of training to learn how to work with Coco
- Coco and Mrs. Morton graduated together and now Coco is a member of our school team
- Coco comes to school every day. When she is at school she is working.
- Coco wears a vest to show she is on duty
- When Coco is not working, she goes home with Mrs. Morton. At home, she is a regular pet and does not wear her vest. She likes to play, walk and snuggle.
- When students see Coco on campus, they should give her a calm finger wave
- Students should not yell at Coco, run towards her or feed her any treats
- Coco can work with individual students, visit classrooms, read with students, and play fetch
We all love Coco! Feel free to say "hi" when you see her!
A Newsletter from our Counselor, Mrs. Flores
Opt In for Weekly COVID Testing at School
We understand that receiving a group notification letter and testing an exposed student can be challenging. We have developed a plan to help!
If your student participates, they will be tested once a week and will no longer have to test each time they are exposed at school.
This is not a requirement but a service we are providing to help simplify the testing process for your family. Inspire Diagnostics will be visiting our school every week to conduct a PCR test on students signed up for our weekly testing program. The test results will be sent directly to you, the parent. Please call the school with any positive result.
If you are interested in participating, please complete the form below and pre register with Inspire Diagnostics (https://inspirediagnostics.com/vista-unified-school-district/). Only students who have returned this form will be tested.
To complete the online form check your email from VistaUSD Forms or go to Parent Permission for Student COVID-19 Testing.
General Education Bus Transportation PAUSED
General education bus routes have been paused for T.H.E. Leadership Academy. Please consult the letter sent from the district HERE. Please plan to make arrangements for transportation until the routes can resume.
ASES After School Program PAUSED
**If you have been accepted to the AMPM paid program, your spot is secure and you will have care on the first day of school.
After School Care
Fee Based waitlist: EZChildtrack
ASES waitlist: ASES Application/waitlist
*Please note: Due to staffing shortages, our ASES program has been paused until staff can be secured.
We are hiring!
If you are interested, please see the recruitment flyer HERE
1. There will be only one entrance into school for general education students (Main Gate). This includes Kindergarten and TK students. We will no longer utilize the Kindergarten gate.
2. Gates open at 7:30AM. Breakfast will be available at 7:30AM each morning. This is the earliest a student should be dropped off at school.
3. Gates will be supervised at all times.
4. All general education students will exit through the main gate. The upper parking lot will no longer be utilized for 4th/5th pickup.
5. Special Education students will continue to use the upper gate for entrance and exit. The gate will be supervised at all times and open only to let students in and out.
6. TK and Kindergarten students will continue to be dismissed through the Kindergarten Gate.
7. Only authorized individuals are able to check students out from the office early. Please make sure to bring your ID when picking up your student.
**Parents are welcome to come onto campus on the first day of school to accompany their students to the playground for lineup. Parents will be asked to say goodbye to their students on the playground as they are not permitted in the classrooms.
Kiss at the Gate
FREE Covid Tests
IMPORTANT TO COMPLETE
Registration for 2022-2023 - Final Step - Please Complete Now
All parents of students TK-5 must now complete the Data Confirmation Process in Parent Portal. This is the final step in confirming your child’s enrollment for 2022-23! This process allows parents to verify student data, update emergency contact information, and acknowledge and review critical district information and policies.
Step 1: Begin the data confirmation process by logging into Parent Portal HERE.
If you forgot your password, select the “forgot password” option. (New families: An email from Parent Portal will have been sent to you after you registered in the office with a link to create an account)
Step 2: You will need your child’s 9 digit student ID to complete several of the forms. You can locate this number in parent portal by following these steps:
Select Student Info from the menu at top
Select Profile in the drop down menu
Select General (in gray box next to student’s name)
Step 3: In a yellow box at the top of the screen, select “Click Here to confirm information about your student.”
Step 4: Be sure to fill out these required documents while you complete data confirmation in the “Documents” section.
Alternative Income Verification
Acceptable Use Policy/Device Insurance. Please be prepared to purchase the $20 device insurance with your credit card or come to the office with cash to complete the process. Device insurance protects the iPads so students can bring them home.
Student Health History (if needed)
Step 5: Repeat the data confirmation process for EACH child attending T.H.E. Leadership Academy.
Select “change student” on the top tab to complete for another child.
Please Note: You do NOT need to print out the documents
Resources: Click on links below for guided instructions:
The office will be open to assist families from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM beginning August 2. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. We are here to help in any way we can.
Registration/General Questions: email@example.com
Registration/Health/Attendance Concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration/General Information: email@example.com
Anything at all: firstname.lastname@example.org (principal)
School Bell Schedule
8:00 AM - 12:54 PM
Tuesdays to Fridays:
8:00 AM - 2:21 PM
Gates open at 7:30 AM
Free Breakfast and Lunch for All Learners
Fruit and salad bar is also available. For menus and more information, please visit: https://wavecrestcafe.com/
PTA at T.H.E. Leadership Academy
Please support our PTA by joining today!
Click HERE to join!
Welcome to THE Leadership Academy!
We are now enrolling Kindergarten students.
We are here to help you make the enrollment and registration process as smooth as possible.
Please review and follow the instructions to complete the enrollment process below.
If you need access to a computer, need assistance to complete the process or have questions, you can reach out to our Office Staff. Please call 760 631 6242
New Student Enrollment: Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten
Enrolling 4 Year Olds for Transitional Kindergarten
Our Transitional Kindergarten is a free all day program here at THE Leadership Academy. Contact our office and they are happy to assist you and answer questions.
*Note: If your child turns 5 after 2/2/22, they may start TK on the day they turn 5, space permitting.
Registration for the 2022-2023 School Year is Open!
Click HERE for more information.
Please consider applying for one of our open positions:
Noon Duty Assistant - Approximately 3.5 hours per day (9:30AM - 12:30PM)
Our COVID Protocols
According to the very latest CDPH guidance for schools, indoor masking in K-12 school settings continues to be a strong recommendation, but not required.
In addition to routine cleaning, VUSD has installed maximum air filters and air cleaners in our classrooms and buildings.
If you or your child is displaying symptoms or tests positive, please stay home and notify us immediately.
All Vista Unified schools will be implementing the Group-Tracing Approach for students.
- When students are exposed to a COVID-19 positive person in a school setting, we will notify parents in writing of the exposure; however, all students may remain in school unless they are experiencing symptoms or have tested positive.
- As a condition to remain in school, parents are required to have their student tested with at least one diagnostic test obtained within three to five days of exposure and inform the school of a positive result.
- The following test methods are acceptable for staying in school after exposure at school: home test, rapid antigen test, or PCR test.
- Parents are only required to inform the school if their student tests positive for COVID-19.
- Only students who have symptoms or test positive must be isolated at home.
Families, in order to help us prioritize health and safety for all of our students and staff, please communicate with us. We appreciate you notifying us in any of the following scenarios:
- If you notice any symptoms, please keep your child at home. Notify the school immediately.
- If you have been exposed to someone who tested positive, please keep your child at home and inform the school immediately.
- If you have taken a PCR or NAAT test and it is positive, please inform the school immediately.
You will share your information with:
- Lisa Franck, Nurse: email@example.com
- Rebeca Alvarez, Attendance/Health Tech: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kim Morton, Principal: email@example.com
- Phone: 760-631-6242
To return to school after having symptoms, a negative PCR or two negative antigen (rapid or home tests) are now acceptable. The two antigen tests must be at least one day apart. Each test must have the student's name, the date, and their date of birth on the cassette.
If your child has any of the following symptoms, please keep your child at home and notify our school immediately. COVID symptoms may include:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of Breath or Difficulty Breathing
- Muscle or Body Aches
- New Loss of Taste or Smell
- Sore Throat
- Congestion or Runny Nose
- Nausea or Vomiting
Thank you for your communication in helping to keep our learning community safe.To view Covid-19 cases, visit the VUSD Covid-19 Case Dashboard.