The MARS Tribune
A Walk Down Memory Lane ~Civil Rights Act of 1964~
From the grandfather clause in the early 1900's to the "never-ending" fight for desegregated education, our morals and laws have came a long way to change. The Civil Rights Act came to life in 1964 after ages of fighting for desegregation of the Brown v. Board of Education ( desegregation in education between Caucasian and African Americans), the fifteenth amendment for the right vote, and more following. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 includes:
- Made racial discrimination at public places such as restaurants, hotels,motels,etc illegal
- Made discrimination illegal in employment
- Originated Created the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) to enforce protections against discrimination at jobs
- Withhold federal grants from places that have racial discrimination
- Make voting right legislation firmer
- Made the U.S Justice Department to make lawsuits to desegregate educational places.
As a nation, we derived from our lessons to make America greater each day.