BY Iris Tirado Cruz
Intro/Statement of problem
Plan of Action
Efficiency is from 5-15%
- Clean energy source; gives off no contamination, only when making them in facilities, transporting and installing but after that nothing negative happens to the atmosphere
- Most abundant energy
- Low maintenance: won’t have to move it for 20-25 years, only have to clean it a few times a year
- Systems last15-30 years
- Saves lots of money
- You can get credit for using solar panels in NH
- You electricity bill will go down
- You could save up to $445 on your electricity bill
- Gives more power than you use and distributes the energy not used elsewhere
- No greenhouse gases
- Renewable and sustainable: It will never expire unlike fossil fuel
- Power Remote Areas: capable to bridle power in remote areas that are not necessarily connected to a national electrical matrix. It’s extremely productive in an expansive region of the globe, and new innovations take into account a more effective energy generation on cloudy/dull days
- Can be installed on rooftops: not only does it save you space, but it can also end up saving you and your family a lot of money as well. Even though the installation cost of solar panels can be quite high it will eventually pay for themselves by it being able to give free power
- Availability: can be accessed throughout the world, but it can be only by harnessed during daytime, but it is available forever unlike oil which will only last for about 50-60 years.
- Silent: they operate silently so their is no sound pollution added in that area
- Easily installation: Solar panels are easy to install and does not require any wires, cords or power sources. No new space is needed and each home or business; user can generate their own electricity
Initial cost: costs of the best quality solar cells might be above $1000. Produce power during the day: for around half of the day, solar panels are not delivering energy for your home. The climate and weather patterns of your area can influence how well your solar panels work as well.
Solar cell effectiveness: if the air is polluted it can affect the efficiency of the solar cells
Large area for setup: needs lots of space so the right amount of power can be produced
Expensive storage: utilize large and heavy batteries to charge houses or businesses. Need to find where they can be stored. Plus, you’ll need to replace it which adds to the cost
High Initial investment: It might take up to 10 years to 15 years before you can break even with your initial investment.
Dependent on sunny weather
Supplemental energy may be needed in low sunlight areas
Requires large physical space for RV cell panels
Limited availability for polysilicon for panels
Some toxic materials and chemicals that are used in manufacturing process of PV (heat->electric)
Some thermal systems are potentially hazardous fluids to transfer heat
- Inefficiency: Since not all the light from the sun is absorbed by the solar panels; most solar panels have a 40% efficiency rate. However technology increased the rate of efficiency of solar panels from 40 to 80%, but it has increased the cost of solar panels.
How it works/benefits/everything about it
If you generate more than you consume it’s given somewhere else to a school, hospital or your next-door neighbor. When your excess energy goes to the grid, your utility company issues you a credit, which begins to lower your electricity bill: energy offsets the electricity you use at night. The cost of power you use at night is offset by the clean energy you provided the grid during the day.
The tremendous growth in the U.S. solar industry is helping to pave the way to a cleaner, more sustainable energy future. The solar panel prices have dropped significantly so more people or business can access affordable and clean energy.
Photovoltaic cells convert sunlight to direct current electricity
The inverter converts DC into alternating current electricity (AV)
The electrical panel sends power to your light appliances
- The utility meter measures the energy you draw and feed back to the grid
Light > electrical > mechanical > light
Light > thermal > light
How it works
How to create Solar Power from Sunlight
Solar PV Panels: can be installed on roof or garages, takes light converts to electricity for domestic usage, when electricity isn’t used it’s stored in standalone batteries or it transferred back to the grid, if your system is connected to the grid or not
Solar thermal heating: the heat from the sun warms up domestic waters
How to save/earn money using Solar Energy
Saving more than 1,200kg of carbon emissions
Feed-in tariff can get you cash back for any renewable energy that you generate, but depends on the size of your system
Generation tariff: you get money for the electricity that you give back to the grid and consume
Export tariff: set price for each unit, can export to the power grid, and you can sell the electricity you generated
Both Export and Generation tariff are paid by KW
Increasing cost of living
Increase home value
Any improvements contribute to the overall value. Solar Panels make your home more attractive potential buyers. Solar-power homes sell faster than conventional electricity homes. You’ll save money from the reduced electricity bill and make money years after the initial investment on the Solar System. Getting a Solar System is a home improvement that will add to your house value.
Financial and technical Feasability
- A robust financial model is a critical component of a solar power plant feasibility study
- SgurrEnergy provides assumptions for the technical inputs to develop a simple or more complex financial model, depending on the stage of plant development.
- solar team applies a variety of engineering disciplines and experience to assess the technical feasibility of developing a solar PV plant.
- The feasibility reports determine the technical feasibility of progressing with construction which can then be used to assist in accessing finance.
- SgurrEnergy is able to quickly determine the solar resource at a specific site in most countries around the world, to a high degree of accuracy
Once an optimal site is identified, key technical, environmental and planning constraints will be investigated to assess any potential negative impact on successful development.
Some of the constraints are: local climate, Available area and land use, Accessibility, Terrain and topography, Geotechnical, Grid connection, Water availability.
Topography is the arrangement of the natural and artificial physical features of an area.
Geotechnical is a branch of civil engineering concerned with the study and modification of soil and rocks.
That's why I believe Pinkerton Academy should transfer there old electrical company and invest into solar power energy. It saves you lots of many that can go to our education, events, for clubs, better lunch food, or whatever PA might need it for. It's eco friendly so those earth lovers will be happy with this system and it doesn't make noise,so if people are testing and what not, it won't disturb them unlike the other energy ways that make nosie and irritate others. That's why I believe PA should choose Solar Energy and the new energy source
Ruckelshaus, William. "Pros and Cons of Solar Energy - Conserve Energy Future." ConserveEnergyFuture. N.p., 10 Jan. 2015. Web. 06 May 2016. <http://www.conserve-energy-future.com/pros-and-cons-of-solar-energy.php>.
Ruckelshaus, William. "Disadvantages Of Solar Energy - Conserve Energy Future." ConserveEnergyFuture. N.p., 20 Jan. 2013. Web. 06 May 2016. <http://www.conserve-energy-future.com/Disadvantages_SolarEnergy.php>.
Ruckelshaus, William. "Advantages Of Solar Energy - Conserve Energy Future." ConserveEnergyFuture. N.p., 20 Jan. 2013. Web. 06 May 2016. <http://www.conserve-energy-future.com/Advantages_SolarEnergy.php>.
"How Does Solar Power Work?" How Does Solar Energy Work? How Solar Power Works. SolarCity Finance Company, LLC, n.d. Web. 06 May 2016. <http://www.solarcity.com/residential/how-does-solar-power-work>.
"New Hampshire Solar Power for Your House - Rebates, Tax Credits, Savings." Solar Power Rocks. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 May 2016. <https://solarpowerrocks.com/new-hampshire/>.
"Solar." Department of Energy. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 May 2016. <http://energy.gov/science-innovation/energy-sources/renewable-energy/solar>.
Ruckelshaus, Wiliam. "How to Build a Solar Power Panel - Conserve Energy Future." ConserveEnergyFuture. N.p., 20 Jan. 2013. Web. 09 May 2016. <http://www.conserve-energy-future.com/How-Build-Solar-Power-Panel.php>.
"Energy Kids: Energy Information Administration." EIA Energy Kids -. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 May 2016. <http://www.eia.gov/kids/energy.cfm?page=Solar_home-basic>.
"How to Save Money with Solar Energy | GreenMatch.co.uk." How to Save Money with Solar Energy | GreenMatch.co.uk. N.p., 20 Aug. 2014. Web. 09 May 2016. <http://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2014/08/how-to-save-money-with-solar-energy>.
"What Is the Installation Cost for Solar Panels? | GreenMatch.co.uk." What Is the Installation Cost for
Solar Panels? | GreenMatch.co.uk. N.p., 25 Aug. 2014. Web. 09 May 2016. <http://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2014/08/what-is-the-installation-cost-for-solar-panels>.
"How to Choose a Solar." How To: Choose a Solar Panel. N.p., 04 Aug. 2014. Web. 09 May 2016. <www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2014/08/how-to-choose-a-solar-panel>.
"Feasibility." SgurrEnergy. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 May 2016. <http://www.sgurrenergy.com/technologies/solar/feasibility-2/>.