A Newsletter from Scotland Elementary School
September 6, 2021
The Scotty Updates has been created to provide families and staff with information regarding upcoming events, happenings, and programs at Scotland Elementary School. Please take time each Monday to review our newsletter. Thank you!
A Message from Mrs. Katkocin
Dear Scotland Families,
The first days of school are some of my favorite days of the year. The energy and excitement that fills our building is palpable! We had a wonderful opening last week. Students and staff were thrilled to be back together and began building their classroom routines and community. A few reminders as we head into our second week:
Did you know that school lunches are free for all students every day again this year? All students in grades K-8 are able to get one free meal per day while attending school!
- Any additional food or drink beyond the prepared meal will cost extra and be processed to your child’s lunch program account (i.e. extra slice of pizza, cookies, chips, water, etc.).
- If you would like for your child to purchase any of these additional items, please make sure they have access to funds on their account. You can find the link for the online payment portal below.
Thank you all for your caution with arrival and dismissal. Just a few quick reminders:
- When dropping your child off, please pull all the way down the line to the end to dismiss your child. Stopping before that will result in backing up traffic.
- The time slotted for parent drop off in the morning is from 8:30-8:45am.
- If you are dropping your child off after 8:45am, please park in a designated parking space, and walk your child to the security guard at the front door to sign them in. Thank you!
As you did last year, kindly send your child to school with a towel, as we will make every effort to have students eat outside for lunch, weather permitting. These can remain in the classroom, as to not make backpacks too cumbersome daily. Please also make sure you pack your child a water bottle each day. As a part of our health and safety measures, our water fountains have been disabled, but the bottle fillers remain available to students throughout the day.
Just a reminder that there is no school on Monday, September 6th and Tuesday, September 7th.
A Message from Mrs. Kounnas 🖼 🎨
Hello Scotland Community,
I am Mrs. Kounnas, you new Scotland Elementary School Art Teacher, and I am so excited to see all of the students next week and can’t wait to get into the Art Room making and creating with our A-Mazing Scotland students this year! I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce ourselves, share some updates and reminders for this year.
Art Room “Things to Know”:
I will be in the building on C, D, E and F days.
No smocks are required but please have your child “Dress for Mess” on their Art Day. While we do everything we can to use our art materials appropriately accidents do sometimes happen and I wouldn’t want that to be on one of my artists favorite outfits.
Great News! We will be holding our Art Classes back in the Art Room this year!
Please check out my Art Room Website, Blog and Instagram, please see below for more information.
The Art Room Website: hosts information and a brief overview including how to contact her if needed. A link to the website can be found on the Scotland Elementary School website under About Us/Teachers and Staff Directory.
Art Room Blog: Happenings and a more in depth look at projects in detail.
Mrs. Kounnas’ Art Room Blog: Farmingville and Scotland Art Rooms.
Please follow my Instagram!
I hope you all had an A-Mazing summer and can’t wait to see all of our students soon!
First Week Back!! 📸
Events and Happenings 🗓
WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, September 6th:
- Labor Day – No School
Tuesday, September 7th:
- Rosh Hashanah - No School
Wednesday, September 8th:
- F Day
- 1st full day of kindergarten (8:35am-3:25pm)
Thursday, September 9th:
- A Day
Friday, September 10th:
- B Day
Tuesday, September 14th:
- Picture Day!
Thursday, September 16th:
- Yom Kippur - No School
Thursday, September 23rd:
- Early Dismissal for students (11:40am)
- Professional Learning for Staff
Friday, September 24th:
- Scotty Sprint!
- More information to follow
- Rain Date: Friday, October 1st
Thursday, September 30th:
- Open House - 5:30-7:00pm
A Note from Our PTA
The Scotty Buddy Program is back!
The Scotty Buddy Program is back! The Buddy Program connects new families to Scotland Elementary School with experienced or “veteran” families. The program was created to provide new families with a resource who they can contact for questions/tips on making their transition to SES smooth and successful! Please FILL OUT the form below if you are interested in participating as either a NEW FAMILY or a VETERAN FAMILY.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP!
Purchase a SES Chromebook Sleeve!
Scotty Spirit Fundraiser
Help protect your brand new Chromebook AND show your Scotty Spirit with a new laptop sleeve. Proceeds will go to support the 5th grade class end of year activities!
Laptop Sleeves will be delivered and distributed at school in about 2-3 weeks.
Please be sure to check out of your shopping cart to complete your order!
If you do not receive an emailed receipt your order has NOT been completed.
Questions? Please contact Jessia Aframe
Actual products may differ slightly in appearance to images shown
CLICK HERE to order!
The PTA Needs You! Volunteers Wanted!
We're so excited to get parents involved again at SES! We're so LUCKY to be able to offer opportunities for you to help our kiddos and our school!!
Volunteering with the PTA allows you to contribute your skills and knowledge for the benefit of both your own children and the greater school community. You’ll also meet and make new friends!
Please fill out the form and you'll hear back from us soon!
CLICK HERE to find out all the ways YOU can make a difference this year - opportunities available for those with extra time and those with little time!)
Picture Day is September 14th! 📸
PICTURE DAY IS TUESDAY, 9/14!!!
HOW TO ORDER:
️Ordering will take place online only. If you absolutely need an order form, please request one from your teacher.
️No need to print out or send in order confirmation. No paperwork necessary.
1. BEFORE Picture Day, go to www.coffeepond.com and select "Order School Portraits"
2. Using the drop-down menu, select the city and state, then the name of our school.
3. Follow the prompts to enter your information and select packages.
4. Ordering questions ??? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (508) 907-6633 ext. 0
Important Information to Keep Handy! 📝
Health and Safety Update
As per Dr. Da Silva's communication on 9/3/2021...
We continue to update our RPS Safe Return Plan, which is an active Google Document. Parents may continue to review this link to see the latest version of the plan.
Connecticut is currently experiencing the 4th wave of the global COVID-19 pandemic. The Delta variant, predominant in this wave, is twice as transmissible as the original variant. Ridgefield is currently experiencing a significant level of community transmission.
We are awaiting direction from CSDE on our lab partner who will be assisting us with weekly COVID-19 screenings that will be available to students in grades K-6. We will keep families updated, as all families will need to provide permission for their child.
We are following CT DPH and CDC quarantine guidelines when there is an exposure to COVID-19 at school, on a bus, or at an RPS sponsored event. Close contacts will be determined by who was within 3 feet for 15 minutes while seated and masked in the classroom, or 6 feet for 15 minutes outside of the classroom setting. In most cases, full elementary classrooms will be quarantined. This practice will be reviewed later in the fall after we have more data about the spread of the delta variant in classrooms of unvaccinated children.
Contact tracing on the bus will be done by reviewing security tapes at the elementary level and student interviews and/or tapes at the secondary level. We are thankful for your patience as reviewing the tapes is a manual process and takes a considerable amount of time. Please note that this is a correction from our last BOE meeting - we will be contact tracing on our buses.
Fully vaccinated individuals who are exposed to COVID-19 do not need to quarantine unless they have a symptom. They should wear a mask in all circumstances including at home until they receive a negative PCR test on day 3-5 after exposure. Per the DPH and CDC They may continue to come to school and participate in athletics and should continue to monitor symptoms for 14 days.
Unvaccinated individuals who have been exposed are required to quarantine at home. They can get tested on day 5 after exposure and return on day 8 if they remain free of symptoms. They should continue to monitor for symptoms until day 14.
Receiving the vaccine once eligible reduces the chances of being placed in quarantine and helps prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the community. A report released by the CT DPH this week shows the relative risk of COVID-19 infection is 5x less for those who are vaccinated and the relative risk of hospitalization is 16x less if you are vaccinated. Pediatric hospitalizations during this Delta wave of the pandemic remain low.
To report a case of COVID-19 please send an email to Aaron Crook RN, Director of Nursing Services. email@example.com Please cc your building principal and school nurse.
We will follow a similar drop off / pick up procedure that we did last year.
- Drop off begins at 8:30am. Please do not drop off your child prior to 8:30am as there will be no supervision at this time.
- Pick up will begin at 3:20pm.
- Each day, please have your child(ren)’s first and last name displayed on your passenger visor, and have it remain visible until your child is in the car. This needs to be bold and large enough to be visible at a distance. This is a very important step to ensure we have your child ready when you arrive.
- For the safety of both students and staff, proceed carefully and slowly through the lot.
- Please have your child exit/enter the vehicle when your gear is in the park position and is one of the cars at the front of the line designated for drop off.
- Students must exit the vehicle on the passenger side (building side) of the vehicle. Multiple children must exit on the passenger side. It is dangerous to exit/enter on the driver's side of the vehicle!
- Students need to have all of their items ready in hand and will then exit the car immediately.
- Parents, please stay in your vehicle at all times so that the process will prevent backups on Barlow Mountain Road.
- If you miss the drop off time (after 8:45 a.m.), please park in the front lot and walk your child across the designated crosswalk to the main entrance of the building. If you arrive after the drop off window and must park in the parking lot, we ask that you kindly use the crosswalk.
- Each class will have one 45 minutes special per day (art, library, music, or PE)
- We will continue to follow the six day A-F day schedule.
- Students will once again attend essentials in their respective classrooms (the essentials’ classrooms).
- Please find the specials rotation below.
- School Lunch will be available from the first day of school. Chartwells is the District-wide food service provider. The school lunch menu is available online on the RPS website; click District Offices and click on Food Service, as well as below.
- School lunch will continue to be free during the 21-22 school year. Snacks and additional items will be available through The Lunch Time POS system that allows students to purchase their lunch by entering a 5-digit code at the cash register. These items can be prepaid online at School Payment Portal Powered By LunchTime Software and at the school kitchen.
- Questions in regard to Lunch Time POS can be directed to John Morris, RPS Food Service Director at 203-894-5550 x1127 or firstname.lastname@example.org
School Dismissal Manager
We will continue to use School Dismissal Manager this year at Scotland. Please click below for information regarding this system. This system will be available to families in late August. A welcome letter will be emailed to families when the system is available. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!
- Teacher assignments as well as student bus information can be found on the Parent Portal.
- Please be sure to update all forms on the Parent Portal. The portal will be available for parent access on August 23rd.
- Our school lunch program will begin on the first day of school. The lunch menu is located in the link below.
- School lunch will continue to be free during the 21-22 school year. Snacks and additional items will be available through The Lunch Time POS system that allows students to purchase their lunch by entering a 5-digit code at the cash register. Payments for snack can be sent with students daily or paid through the School Online Payment Portal.