March 18, 2016
Professional Development Plan for 2016-2017
Here is the current plan for implementing this program at the district level:
- April 11: District CII will consider approving this purchase.
- May: Educational Service/WRPS Board of Education will consider approving this purchase.
- Summer: The district purchases the program and summer training will be offered for faculty.
- 2016-2017: Many opportunities will be offered to learn about the Units of Study, including whole group, grade level, building implementation, and monthly roundtables.
For now, you are encouraged to start getting an overview of the Lucy Calkins Writing Units of Study. Click on the links below for a few online resources:
If you have any questions, please contact Liz or myself. If I don't see you today, have a relaxing spring break.
Spilling my coffee today in Lisa S.'s classroom might have been the worst thing to happen during instructional walks. I've really enjoyed visiting everyone's classrooms more frequently this year, observing student learning and providing regular feedback for you. If you have any suggestions for improving this process, let me know.
School of Recognition
Cari P. and Cyd C. were our representatives in Madison for the School of Recognition Banquet. This is our 8th year in a row of receiving this award - a significant accomplishment that few Wisconsin schools can claim. Congratulations to everyone at Howe!
Ka Zoua T. and some of her third grade students gave an informative presentation about the Hmong-American culture for over twenty Howe staff and family members. Our next Innovation Night is Tuesday, April 12, in which we will have our grand opening for our Makerspace (Room 155).
School of Recognition
Know Your Howe Staff
Linda Bidwell has worked as a noon aide at Howe for three years. Did you know:
- that she has a son, Brad, who is married and in his 30s?
- that she has been a crossing guard for 22 years?
- that she lives right across the street from Howe, along Oak Street?
Kathy Melville is one of our most veteran staff members at Howe, serving here as an aide for several years. Did you know:
- that she married Mr. Melville last year?
- that she is an accomplished artist in oil painting?
- that she has four children and four grandchildren?
Interested in being profiled for a future Friday Focus? I have a camera phone and can take a headshot at any time!