Wanted: E. Coli
A.K.A. Bacterium Escherichia Coli
- The digestive system is the most affected.
- There are 8 different strands (the ones that we are looking for are STEC, VTEC, EHEC, 0157).
- These are focused on food transferred bacteria.
- The younger people are the most at risk.
- The daycare workers or cattle farmers are the most at risk professions.
This bacterium's symptoms are:
- Appetite loss
- Abdominal pain
- Easy bruising
- Blood loss
This bacteria lives in
- Uncooked/Undercooked meats
- Raw (unpasteurized) milk
- contaminated stool
The ways to protect yourself are:
- Cook meat completely
- Limited contact to contaminated stool
- Washing hands
- Rehydration (if needed)