Cognitive Coaching Seminar
Improving Classroom Instruction
Part II - Days 5 through 8
You must have completed Cognitive Coaching Part I Days 1 through 4 in order to participate in Part II Days 5 through 8.
How does Cognitive Coaching℠ professional development increase student achievement?
Days 5–8 provide for skill refinement of the following and understanding of the Problem-Resolving Map:
- develop trust and rapport
- develop an identity as a mediator of thinking
- utilize conversation structures for planning, reflecting and problem resolving
- develop teachers’ autonomy and sense of community
- develop higher levels of efficacy, consciousness, craftsmanship, flexibility and interdependence
- apply four support functions: coaching, evaluating, consulting, collaborating
- utilize the coaching tools of pausing, paraphrasing, and posing questions
- distinguish among the five forms of feedback
- use data to mediate thinking
Trainer - Jane Ellison, Training Associate
Jane Ellison has been an integral part of the Cognitive Coaching℠ community since 1989. Entrusted with the leadership and perpetuation of the work by Art Costa and Bob Garmston, she has served as the Executive Co-Director of Thinking Collaborative with Michael Dolcemascolo and the Co-Director of the Center for Cognitive Coaching℠ with Carolee Hayes.
Jane was the Director of Elementary Education for Douglas County School District Re.1 from 1988-1998. She was a principal for 15 years — 4 in Douglas County, Colorado and 11 in Tinley Park, Illinois. Her teaching experience is in the primary grades and the graduate college level.
She holds a B.A. in Elementary Education and Social Sciences from SMU, an M.Ed. in Elementary Supervision from the University of North Texas, and an Ed.D. in Administration from VPI&SU , Blacksburg, Virginia. ”
Location and First Day Details
Wednesday, Aug. 3rd, 8am-3pm
Genesee Intermediate School District, 2413 West Maple Avenue, Flint, MI
8/3/16 and 9/21/16
Erwin L. Davis Education Center
2413 W. Maple Ave. Flint MI 48439
9/20/16 and 10/9/16
Genesee Career Institute
5081 Torrey Rd, Flint, MI 48507