La Colonne de Juillet

Jason Phillips

La Colonne de Juillet

  • It is called Colonne de Juillet or "July Column" because of the "three glorious days" of July 27, 28 and the 29 that saw the fall of King Charles X and the beginning of the "July Monarch" of King Louis-Philippe
  • Colonne de Juillet is a part of La Bastille. La bastille was built in the late 1300s and was declared a prison in the early 1400s. It was for upper-class members of French society who had opposed or angered him. Later on it was destroyed because of how unreasonable the King was with putting innocent people in jail, just for having different beliefs.
  • Colonne de Juillet was built in La Place de Bastille, (an area in which they commemorate La bastille)
  • They began building in 1835 and finished in 1840
Big image
La Bastille

More Information

  • It weighs 163,000 pounds or 74,000 kilograms and is 154 feet tall
  • It is made up of bronze and steel, that's why it weighs so much
  • Inside the Colonne de Juillet are 238 steps which allowed access to the top of the column but for some reason it is no longer available to the public.
Big image
La Colonne de Juillet

Just a little more information

  • On one of the sides of La Colonne de Juillet, translated to English, it says "To the glory of the French citizens who armed themselves and fought for the defense of public liberties in the memorable days of 27, 28, 29 July 1830"
  • At the top of the monument the gold mini statue is called the Genie of Liberty