Science Fair 2013 by Juliet, Hannah, & Gabby
Is it possible to blow up a balloon with just water, a bottle and a bowl?
- Secure a deflated balloon over a bottle with a rubber band
- Place the bottle upright in a bowl
- Fill the bucket with boiling water
- Watch what happens with the balloon. It should inflate
- Now pour the hot water out of the bowl and fill it with ice
- Watch what happens. The balloon should deflate
We think that the bigger bowl will blow up the balloon the quickest.
Charles' Law of Gas
- an experimental gas law
- describes how gases tend to expand when heated
- a higher temperature will increase the pressure exerted by the gas
- Balloon with the bigger bowl inflated the fastest
- Balloon with the smaller bowl deflated the fastest