Weekly Happenings at Southeastern Elementary
Welcome to the August 3, 2020, edition of Southeastern Scene.
Dear Southeastern Explorers:
“Children can change the world.” Jane Goodall
It is with great pleasure that we welcome all of our Southeastern Elementary families into our educational community.
At SES, we see all children as curious, capable and competent citizens with rights. We believe they come to us full of experience and wisdom, eager to make meaning of their lives and everything that surrounds them. We also hope to nurture that meaning by creating a learning environment, both virtually and in person, where children feel safe, valued, and loved.
We recognize that we have a tremendous opportunity this school year. Instead of replicating the classroom in a virtual space, we plan to leverage what we can do in a virtual space to create high levels of engaged learning. When planning possibilities for our curriculum, we look for concepts that align to our state standards and HSE21, offer multiple entry points, and have the power to connect our entire learning community.
Our teachers have embraced their responsibility to impact learning, regardless of the format of school. We look forward to sharing many windows into children and teachers’ learning experiences and the evolving learning we are building together.
Yours in education,
Danielle Chastain, Principal
Nicole Monkul, Assistant Principal
Jennifer Smith, Counselor
Important Upcoming Dates
- August 3: Deadline to complete iPad rental agreement (if renting from the district). Rental agreement can be found in your skyward account under the "Back To School Forms" tab.
- August 3 - August 5: Teacher welcome videos will be sent to your email. This replaces ice cream social and will help your student get to know his/her teacher.
- August 4: New school year materials pick up, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., SES gymnasium.
- August 6: First day of school, 9:00 a.m.
- August 6 and 7: Your child's teacher will zoom with your child individually to introduce themselves and get to know your child. Teachers will send out classroom specific information.
Materials Pick Up
Southeastern Elementary Student iPAD & Material Pick Up Day
Pick up of rental iPads, PTO School Supply box, classroom resources and items left behind last school year will be this Tuesday, Aug. 4th, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. All students will be receiving items from their teacher.
To ensure the safety and health of all families and staff, these plans will be in place:
- Parent/guardian should arrive to pick up items.
- Student may join parent/guardian. Please do not bring siblings who are not students.
- Please wear masks, maintain social distancing, and keep time in the building as brief as possible.
- Park in the front parking lot.
- Enter gymnasium through door 2.
- Staff members will be available to assist.
- Locate your child’s grade level by table.
- A staff member at the grade level table will be able to retrieve:
- Supply Box (If pre-ordered)
- Grade level resources
- Any items left from 2019-2020 that you were unable to pick up on July 23rd.
- Locate the iPAD Rental Table. If you have chosen to rent an iPAD, please see our IT specialist at this station to pick up your child’s iPAD.
- Exit gymnasium through door 3.
If you have any symptoms, potential exposure, or feel ill please stay home.
In order to limit the amount of people entering the building at one time, we ask that you adhere to the schedule below:
- 10:00-11:30 Last Name A-F
- 11:30-1:00 Last Name G-L
- 1:00-2:30 Last Name M-R
- 2:30-4:00 Last Name S-Z
- 4:00-6:00 Those that can’t make it during the day. A-Z
Canvas and Zoom
All students will be accessing classroom work through Canvas. Canvas is a classroom management system that supports online learning and teaching. Students and parents have access to Canvas. Please click on this link to get started.
Parents, breakfast and lunch may be purchased from HSE Food Service during virtual learning from home. Student Breakfast Meal Deal is $1.25 and Lunch Meal Deal is $2.80.
Please click this link for more information about purchasing lunch during virtual learning, putting money into student lunch accounts, and accessing lunch information via skyward.
Food Allergy Concerns: Contact Cafeteria Manager Beth Verhoestra at email@example.com for more info.
Anyone wanting to spend time in the school or chaperone a field trip must have a SafeVisitor ID badge. If you have not yet completed the background check, click Safe Visitor to get started.