NUAMES Davis Counseling Newsletter
COLLEGE & CAREER READINESS (CCR) MEETINGS
COLLEGE APPLICATION MONTH
Utah Hosts College Application Month during October
- Many Utah public colleges will waive their application fee in the month of October
- This means seniors can apply for many Utah schools for FREE!
- Please visit this LINK to find out the WAIVER CODES for various Utah colleges
COLLEGE APPLICATION TIPS
Here are some answers to frequently asked questions...
FAFSA NIGHT FOR SENIORS
What is FAFSA?
- FAFSA = Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- By filling out this application, students may earn FEDERAL Grants, Loans, and/or Work Study jobs on campus.
- FAFSA completion is required for many STATE Scholarships
- FAFSA completion is required for some University Scholarships to be processed
What Can I Do to Get Ready for FAFSA Night?
- We recommend creating your FSA ID BEFORE FAFSA NIGHT. The FSA ID is how you electronically sign the FAFSA. Having this set up ahead of time will save you time on FAFSA Night.
- Each student must create a NEW FSA ID. Parents will need FSA ID's as well.
- Parents may already have a FSA ID if they have helped an older sibling or even applied themselves when they went to college. Parents will use the same FSA ID they used in the past.
- See this INSTRUCTION SHEET for creating an FSA ID: How to Create FSA ID.pdf
PAYING FOR COLLEGE & SCHOLARSHIPS SEMINAR OCT 25 5:00-6:00 PM
NUAMES Scholarships Page is GREAT Resource!
- You can find "Monthly Opportunities" that show monthly SCHOLARSHIP newsletters!
- You can find lots of great and safe search engines on here
- You can link to each college's scholarships page
- You can find a FAFSA walkthrough video
- Link to the scholarships page on button below
PSAT TESTING OCT 12
What is the PSAT?
- PSAT is a PRACTICE SAT test that 10th and 11th grade students can choose to take
- This test allows a student to see what type of score they can earn on the SAT if they decide to take it
- For 10th graders this is a great opportunity for a Preliminary SAT. We often get asked what exam students should take, the ACT or SAT. The answer is, find the test that works best for the student. Both ACT and SAT are used for college admissions across the nation, and most colleges do not prefer one test over the other. Having a student take the PSAT gives them an opportunity to see how they would perform on the SAT to determine if it would be a better fit.
- PSAT is the Qualifying Test for students who may qualify for the National Merit Scholarship
Students must pay $20 registration fee by Oct 5th in the Main Office to Sign Up
OTHER UPCOMING EVENTS
- Oct 3-Nov 10: Early College CCR Meetings
- Oct 5: PSAT Registration Deadline
- Oct 5: Cultural Dance Lessons in Davis D3 Ballroom A (hosted by NUAMES Culture Club)
- Oct 10: Davis Tech College Presentation in D3-304 after school
- Oct 12: PSAT Testing Day 7:45-12:00
- Oct 13-14: NUAMES Fall Break! (WSU classes still in session)
- Oct 18: Army Reps visit Campus in D3 at Lunch
- Oct 21: Halloween Dance
- Oct 21: Weber State Fall Break (NUAMES still in session)
- Oct 24-Nov 3: Early College Information Sessions (SEE INFO BELOW FOR REGISTRATION)
- Oct 25 3:15 PM: Keys to Success App/Website Demo for Scholarships and College/Career Help in D3-234
- Oct 25 5:00-6:00 PM: Paying for College & Scholarships Seminar D3 Ballroom
- Oct 25 5:00-8:00 PM: FAFSA Night in D3 labs 234 and 235
- Oct 27 6:00-7:00 PM: Prospective Student and Parent Night
- Happy Global Diversity Awareness Month, Filipino-American Heritage Month,
German-American Heritage Month, Italian-American Heritage Month, National Polish American Heritage Month, and Family History Months!!
EARLY COLLEGE INFO SESSIONS
Students who are interested in applying for the Weber State EARLY COLLEGE program, MUST attend an Information Session with parent/guardian as their FIRST STEP of 6 steps to get admitted.
What Else Can I Do to Prepare for the EARLY COLLEGE APPLICATION?
We highly recommend interested students take the October or December National ACT Test.
- Students must sign up for a national ACT test on their own through this LINK
- Choose a location convenient for you to take the test
- It can take 6-8 weeks to get your ACT scores back, so this gives you time to receive them before the deadline