Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
What is the IDEA?
Who is covered under the IDEA?
There are 14 Mandates under the IDEA, and they are...
Categories of Disabilities
Child Identification/ Child Find
Full Education Opportunities Goal
Protection in Evaluation Procedures
Confidentiality of Information
Signed by President Clinton that focused on improving the education of children with disabilities by:
- Identifying children with special needs before they enter school and providing services to help them,
- Developing individualized education programs (IEPs) that focus on improving educational results through the general curriculum,
- Educating children with disabilities with their nondisabled peers,
- Setting higher expectations for students who are disabled and ensuring schools are held accountable,
- Strengthening the role of parents and fostering partnerships between parents and schools,
- Reducing unnecessary paperwork and other burdens.
Signed by President George W. Bush
Improving educational results for children with disabilities
Aligns IDEA with NCLB
Improved early intervention strategies
Correct over identification
Ensure school safety
Implement complete funding of IDEA
Parental revocation of consent for continued special education and related services
Positive efforts to employ and advance qualified individuals with disabilities
Non-attorney representation in due process hearings
State monitoring and enforcement
State use of targets and reporting
Subgrants to LEAs, base pay adjustments, and relocation of LEA funds