Australian Wildlife Project
Using Prezi to present animal research
Grade Level / Subject / Time frame:
- 3rd Grade
- Science & Social Studies
- 2 1/2 weeks
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.1 Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.2 Determine the main idea of a text; recount the key details and explain how they support the main idea
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.7 Use information gained from illustrations (e.g., maps, photographs) and the words in a text to demonstrate understanding of the text (e.g., where, when, why, and how key events occur).
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.7 Conduct short research projects that build knowledge about a topic.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.8 Recall information from experiences or gather information from print and digital sources; take brief notes on sources and sort evidence into provided categories.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.2a Introduce a topic and group related information together; include illustrations when useful to aiding comprehension.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.2b Develop the topic with facts, definitions, and details.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.4 Report on a topic or text, tell a story, or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, speaking clearly at an understandable pace.
Students are going to explore different resources and research their chosen animal native to Australia. They will become an expert after doing the required research and will construct a Prezi presentation with all of their findings. Everyone will be take notes while they are presenting their Prezi presentations!
- Students will analyze and dissect their sources for the appropriate research
- Students will record their research on their research organizer
- Students will construct their Prezi presentation with their organized research
- Students will present their Prezi presentations to teach the class about their animal
- Students will answer questions through short discussion after their presentation
- Students will take note on each other's presentations
Steps to the australian wildlife project (learning activities):
- Choose animal you are interested in
- Find appropriate books in the library for your research
- Explore the given websites for your research in the computer lab
- Use the research organizer to record all of your necessary research
- Construct your prezi presentation with all of your organized research
- Presentation to class
Step 4: Use the Research Organizer
Use the research organizer I give you to help gather all of the required research!
Step 5: Construct a prezi presentation displaying your research
YOUR Prezi must INCLUDE:
You must create a map showing where your animal lives in Australia.
You must have a picture or phone of your animal.
You must display your research on your Prezi "slides" in an organized fashion.
- Students will be given the rubric (which was presented before starting project) to grade and asses themselves on their finished product
- Research Organizer
- I will assess students using the given rubric for their prezi presentation
- Notes on presentations