Ms. Higgins' Classroom Newsletter
Message from Ms. Higgins
I hope that your Kindergarten Student enjoyed Pirate Day :) Thank you for making our first party a success!
Shady Brook Farm Field Trip!
Friday, Oct. 16th, 9:15am-1:45pm
931 Stony Hill Road
Friday, Oct. 30th, 2-3pm
35 Princeton Avenue
This Week In Kindergarten...
- Writers draw pictures Using the "Picture" in their Brain to help them capture every detail.
- Writers Label everything in their drawings by stretching words and putting every sound they hear on paper.
- Writers generate ideas by thinking about someone they love.
After each mini-lessons students go off to write stories on their own!
Ways to Help at Home:
- Create a writing center at home! Include paper, pencils, and crayons/markers
- Start encouraging students to ssstttrreeeettcccchhhh out words with their word rubber bands :) (Do your best not to step in our correct!)
- Send me pictures of writing at home and I will "tweet" them on our classroom Twitter!
- Readers learn how to take care of books by turning pages gently and selecting books that interest them!
- Readers learn how to "Partner Read" by sharing a book with a partner.
- Readers take turn sharing their books with their partner during "Partner Reading"
After each mini-lessons students go off to read books on their own!
Ways to Help at Home:
- Create a library or simple environment for students to select books!
- Encourage students to care for books gently and read from front to back.
- Send me pictures of reading at home and I will "tweet" them on our classroom Twitter!
Activities Completed in Class:
- Echo/Find Letters: Students need to find letters based on the letter sounds.
- Sky Write/Letter Formation: Students learn how to write the letters of the week
- Student Notebooks: Students practice writing the letters of the week with proper formation (remember letters fall from the sky just like rain :) )
- Word Sorts: Students complete picture/word sorts for the letters of the week.
Below is a video going through the Fundation Letter Cards. Start practicing at home to learn the fundation lingo!
Check out the Go Noodle website to view all of our Brain Break and Morning Movement videos in addition to some new ones :)