How to prevent cross-contamination
by Sharon Mitchell
when storing refrigerated items
- Make sure food is stored in containers that were made to store food. They should be durable, leak-proof containers that can be sealed or covered.
- Wrap or cover all food correctly.
- Label the item with:
- Name of item
- When to throw away
Store raw meat, poultry and seafood separately from ready to eat food. If they have to be stored together then there is a safe way to do it.
- 1st shelf (top shelf) -- Ready to eat food
- 2nd shelf -- Seafood
- 3rd shelf -- Whole cuts of beef and pork
- 4th shelf -- Ground meat and ground fish
- 5th shelf -- Whole and ground poultry