Nuestra Señora de la Soledad
By Emily Fernandez
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad was built in 1791. This is the 13th mission out of 21 missions. The Indians that built the mission was the Ohlone , Chalon, Esselen, Yokuts, and Salinan. The founder of the mission is Fray Lasuen. In 1591 Spain sent a group to convert the indans. In 1824 due to flooding the small church was destroyed. In 1832 due to flooding and a earthquake buildings were damaged. Mission Nuestra Senora de la Soleda is located in Salinas River Valley.
Daily life at the mission
The Ohlone, Chalon, Esselen, Yokuts, and Salinan indians lived at the mission. The Frias were in charge of the indans. The jobs were done by the indans. The men's jobs were woodcrafting, and blacksmith.The women peppered food, spun yarn, wove blankets, and made cloth. At the mission no crops were grown. At mission Nuestra Senora de la Soledad there was a school the indians that were kids went. There was a small church at the mission. For free time the indians sang songs, talked, danced, and played games.
Today mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad is still open. Today there is no field trips scheduled at the mission. At mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad the chapel is still running. There is a museum but it is a small museum.