Library Media News
New Library Media News Format!
I have seeking a way to send monthly newsletters / bits of information in a much easier to use format than my Pages Newsletters from the last few years. Let me know what you think of this tool (http://www.smore.com -- I purchased the Pro version)! It might be a good way for you to share information with your faculty, staff and students.
Columbia Public Library Summer Reading Session Cancelled.. .
Get Ready for Summer Learning!
- MyON Reader (Incoming Kindergarten students may use the following generic log-ins: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s4/sh/2ec714d0-e2d1-4d1f-98a5-7d8058f152dd/9fafaf78c416e8a2572faef44a2acca9)
- Overdrive iOS / Android App or via the web at https://columbiamo.libraryreserve.com
- FollettShelf: http://destiny.columbia.k12.mo.us/
- Columbia Public Library: http://www.dbrl.org/
State Report Collaboration Sessions
Overdrive Big Read Opportunity: June 3rd to June 18th
Title: A Pedigree to Die For, Melanie Travis Mystery Series, Book 1 by Laurien Berenson
Subjects: Fiction, Mystery
Publisher: Kensington Publishing Corp.
Description: The apparent heart attack that killed kennel owner Max Turnbull has left seven pups in mourning, and his wife Peg suspecting foul play. But the only evidence is their missing prize pooch—a pedigreed poodle named Beau.
Enter Melanie Travis. With her young son happily ensconced in day damp, the thirty-something teacher and single mother is talked into investigating her uncle's death—unofficially, of course. Posing as a poodle breeder in search of the perfect stud, Melanie hounds Connecticut's elite canine competitions, and finds an ally in fellow breeder Sam Driver. But her affection cools when she's put on the scent of Sam's questionable past...and hot on the trail of a poodle-hating neighbor and one elusive murderer who isn't ready to come to heel.
For, as Melanie soon discovers, in a championship dog-eat-dog world, the instinct for survival, and winning, can prove fatal.
Lending model: The eBook will be available for simultaneous use, meaning no holds or waitlists for users from June 3rd to June 18th.
Cool New Resource from DBRL!
The following can be found at the following link: http://www.dbrl.org/books/hoopla.
Hoopla Downloadable Audiobooks, Music, Movies & TV
The Hoopla media service allows you to stream and download audiobooks, music, movies and television shows. You never have to wait on any item through Hoopla, because more than one person can access the same movie, album or audiobook at the same time.
Download the free Hoopla mobile app on your Android or iOS device to begin enjoying thousands of titles from major film studios, recording companies and publishers. Hoopla items can also stream to your computer through your Web browser.
You can borrow 10 titles each month.
Movies and TV lend for 72 hours.
Music lends for 7 days.
Audiobooks lend for 21 days.
Content begins streaming immediately, but you can also download most titles to listen to oﬄine.
Once you borrow a title on one device it is automatically available via all devices with the Hoopla app or, on your computer, through your browser (Internet Explorer 8+, Firefox 12+, Safari 5+, Chrome 19+).
View or listen to the borrowed content as often as you want during the check-out period.
To use this free service, you need to have a current Daniel Boone Regional Library card. Adults can apply for a library card online.
Steps for Returning an iPad (for teachers leaving, student teachers, students, etc.)
Steps for returning iPads (As of April 28th, 2014):
Pre-step for BHS students / AP Students at HHS and RBHS: Remove Meraki profile(General >> Profiles >> Remove Meraki Profile.) Search for and delete the Meraki App. Back Up to iCloud (iCloud >> Storage and Backup >> Back Up Now.)
1. Turn off ‘Find my iPad’ (iCloud >> Find my iPad >> Turn off)
2. Delete iCloud account (iCloud >> scroll down and tap “Delete Account”)
3. Log out of iTunes (iTunes >> click on Apple ID >>Sign out)
4. Turn off Passcode (Passcode >> Enter your personal passcode >> Turn Passcode Off)
5. Suggested: Erase all Content and Settings (General >> Reset >>Erase all Content and Settings)
6. As a final check, start the activation steps until the iPad is activated and Activation does not request the previous Apple ID. This way, we can be 100% sure we don’t need Apple ID for the next time it is set up. When setup is started again, if the previous apple id is requested, you will need to acquire additional information from the user to completely reset the device.
'Math is Harder When Using an iPad' Mrs. Wideen's Blog http://www.mrswideen.com/2014/04/math-is-harder-when-using-ipad.html
MASL Spring Conference 2014 Hand-outs:
Kristin Fontichiaro's Blog About Learning, Teaching, Making Things, and Libraries:
A lovely sentiment for your Monday...
“And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.
So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country