The Week Ahead Memo
State Road Elementary School
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Events This Week!
Wednesday morning before school for a Fenton Ed Foundation Meeting
Thursday morning before school for a Fenton STEM Committee Meeting
Grade Fixes for the Year!
As a reminder, our “Grade Fixes” that we agreed to pilot for this school year are:
▫ Fix 1: Don’t include student behaviors in grades; include only achievement
▫ Fix 5: Don’t consider attendance in grade determination; report absences separately
▫ Fix 6: Don’t include group scores in grades; use only individual achievement evidence
"Grading" SI Action Team Requests:
- As a staff, we are going to focus on one fix per month
- For this month, please read Fix #6: Don’t include group scores in grades; use only individual achievement evidence. Please read pp. 52-56 and provide your feedback to either Gabe or Callie. It is actually very easy reading and we do value your comments as we used them to lead our discussion.
We will compile and share this feedback at our January team meeting and with the rest of the staff.
Observation / Evaluation Process Update
Round 2 of Observations will begin this week! The ‘Noticings’ and ‘Wonderings’ sections will focus on the Dimension of Student Engagement (SE).
- Observations - We will again conduct a minimum of 3 observations for the year (district continuity).
- Observations Time - These will be 15-30 min of lesson scripting and another 15 minutes of coding.
- I should be able to access or view your daily lesson plans with assigned standards.
- A difference from last year is that all observations will be unannounced (law compliance and district continuity).
- We will have a Dimension focus during observations (up to two dimensions). The dimension focus areas will be the areas that Noticing’s, Wonderings, and Analysis will be derived.
- Evaluation learning series - We will offer several voluntary learning opportunities for staff to participate in. These opportunities are geared to develop deeper understanding of the framework, rubrics, vocabulary and other processes of 5D+ for those interested. Materials will be made available to all.
Culture of Learning
Quote that a student gave me last week...
What's Happening Next Week?
- 15 minute Staff Meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 27 at 8:15am in the Media Center
- Dr. J's next Input for Improvement community meeting is Wednesday, Jan. 28 beginning at 7pm at AGS Middle School.
- PTO's "Just Dance Luau" is next Friday night, Jan. 30 from 6:30-8:00pm in the Cafetorium!
DOWN THE ROAD...
- Our next Staff Meeting is Tuesday, Feb. 10
- Wednesday, Feb. 11 is Count Day!
- Our next Hungry Howie's Fundraiser Night is Thursday, Feb. 12